U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 08:26 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,689,879 times

Advertisements

Pretty sad to drive throught rural CO and see every 2nd property with a for sale sign. What's going to happen to all of the second homes? In Game Trail just north of BV not one of these have sold since 2007. RP

Old 01-22-2010, 10:11 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,521,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Pretty sad to drive throught rural CO and see every 2nd property with a for sale sign. What's going to happen to all of the second homes? In Game Trail just north of BV not one of these have sold since 2007. RP
If you are familiar with the author Tim Cahill, I remember him writing of the explosion in the construction of these massive second homes all over the west(this was way back in the 1990's as well) and he was wondering if those homes in 100 years would be the 1890 ghost towns of today.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:24 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,834,005 times
Unfortunately these mega-monstrosities are not just limited to the west. I'm sure you've seem em in PA too. Have you ever driven around in rural Bucks County outside of Doylestown? At least in PA the mega-monstrosities are mostly full time homes rather than 2nd homes. Perhaps they too are ghost towns in the making, though I'm inclined to doubt that will happen in Bucks County-PA. If Bucks County ever becomes a ghost town then the entire state of Colorado would probably be a ghost town.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:35 AM

20,836 posts, read 39,041,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Unfortunately these mega-monstrosities are not just limited to the west. I'm sure you've seem em in PA too. Have you ever driven around in rural Bucks County outside of Doylestown? At least in PA the mega-monstrosities are mostly full time homes rather than 2nd homes. Perhaps they too are ghost towns in the making, though I'm inclined to doubt that will happen in Bucks County-PA. If Bucks County ever becomes a ghost town then the entire state of Colorado would probably be a ghost town.
Don't discount that very large homes could become multi-family dwellings, or group homes for single persons who share expenses. There are solutions out there for the taking. In the old days these were often called boarding houses. Many larger homes in older cities were often converted to multiple apartments.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-22-2010 at 10:48 AM..

Old 01-22-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Unfortunately these mega-monstrosities are not just limited to the west. I'm sure you've seem em in PA too. Have you ever driven around in rural Bucks County outside of Doylestown? At least in PA the mega-monstrosities are mostly first homes rather than 2nd homes. Perhaps they too are ghost towns in the making, though I'm inclined to doubt that will happen in Bucks County-PA. If Bucks County ever becomes a ghost town then the entire state of Colorado would probably be a ghost town.
Well the town of Williamsport is a prime example. Street after street of massive 1800's homes, now quite a few derelict. It was once one of the most wealthiest communities in the USA and sure isn't now. All the money came from lumber and when that was gone the money went elsewhere.

I don't really worry about it as I think it's a natural cycle that we go through. I think it was popular to retire or have a second home out west but I can sense from a lot of the younger generation of those that can afford such it was seen as kind of old hat.

Bachelor Gulch next to Beaver Creek, is an example of different cycles that happen. It once had quite a few cabins up there in the 1890's to 1930's that were used by bachelors from Denver and they'd come out there to shoot guns, ***** around, drink and carry on. By the time the depression had hit, life had moved on and all those places were pretty much abandoned. Now the Ritz Carlton sits there along with two long streets up to 10000 feet lined with multi million homes, townhomes and condos. Who knows the Ritz might be there in 100 years but I suspect already a lot of the wealthy have lost interest in such things.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Don't discount that very large homes could become multi-family dwellings, or group homes for single persons who share expenses. There are solutions out there for the taking.
We rented a $2 million home out in Vail back in the fall and it was cheaper than putting everyone in the Comfort Inn. It was great, plenty of room for 7 people, a car in the garage to use, big kitchen, plenty of room to entertain, etc. The cost was $3k for a week, which for 7 middle class people I think that is an affordable vacation. It was interesting for me to actually be able to stay over night in one of these homes after previously working for all those people and being in those places, but never being able to stay.

To meet mortgages, taxes and maintenance costs a lot of people rent these large homes out.

For a lot of these large homes though with the way they are built and the high cost of keeping them going I don't see them being of much use otherwise. Also for the ones that are isolated, if there is no economic base nearby they aren't much use either.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:56 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,018,462 times
Wink Growth?

Much of this discussion seems negative, as in 'when are the jobs coming back?' The distinct positive is that this is exactly what Colorado needs. It does ideally need fewer residents, not more. It ideally should not have second homes scattered about every single acre, but less. It ideally should not have a bonanza economy, but a sound and balanced one.

If people are focused on the hardship involved in such downsizing, then they are correct. It is not easy, particularly on a personal level, and if you are the one involved. But it might be that much smoother if done sanely, with a big part of that equation not the assumption that we must get back to growing quickly as fast as possible. So much that is suffered right now is directly due such imbalanced thinking and action.

Growth will remain a four letter word in my lexicon as long as it only means more in a mindless fashion. It might mean something else instead, such as better, as in the development of the human spirit in realizing our place upon this planet, and what constitutes a truly good life.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:07 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,689,879 times
What I find really crazy is these retirees are still coming out and building their "dream home" when they can purchase a next to new home for about .50 on the dollar. I know homes in Westcliffe and Cotopaxi are being heavily discounted and some have already been for sale since 2006-2007. Wonder what's going to happen next. RP

Old 01-22-2010, 11:58 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,007,803 times
You're not taking into account the coming wave of virtual workers who will move there because that's where they want to live, not where they have a job. They'll be the ones snapping up a lot of those second homes.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:25 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,834,005 times
CAVA1990 wrote:
You're not taking into account the coming wave of virtual workers who will move there because that's where they want to live, not where they have a job. They'll be the ones snapping up a lot of those second homes.
While this is certainly a possibility, it hasn't happened yet, so let's not count those chickens just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or