U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 01:06 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,735,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post

Bob, all six Appliance World locations in Colorado are closing due to imminent bankruptcy filing. Okay, do your little dance again...
If I must...

Old 01-28-2010, 01:37 PM

345 posts, read 869,056 times
Can Dealin' Doug (or at least his ads on tv) be next to go away?

Old 01-28-2010, 08:07 PM

16,438 posts, read 19,079,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusmgm View Post
Can Dealin' Doug (or at least his ads on tv) be next to go away?
The thing about TV is that we don't have to watch it. When my wife and I move, we are intentionaly leaving the box behind, and hope that we won't give in to the temptation to get another.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:49 AM

12,173 posts, read 20,950,703 times
Talking GDP up 2 consecutive quarters

The GDP was up 5.7% in the 4th quarter of 2009 and that is after it was up 2.2% in the 3rd quarter of 2009. By definition when the GDP has risen in 3 consecutive quarters that means that we are out of the recession and in the recovery. Now some will say look at unemployment and I agree its not good. However, again, by definition unemployment is a lagging indicator by about a year so that means you wont see it go down till the 3rd quarter 2010.

What does this mean for Colorado? When we look back I was right and Colorado came out of the recession in the 3rd quarter 2009 but unfortunately our unemployment won't really start declining till the 3rd quarter this year, then 2011 should see some significant growth here. Especially if the alternative energy economy takes hold in our major cities like Pueblo.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The GDP was up 5.7% in the 4th quarter of 2009 and that is after it was up 2.2% in the 3rd quarter of 2009. By definition when the GDP has risen in 3 consecutive quarters that means that we are out of the recession and in the recovery. Now some will say look at unemployment and I agree its not good. However, again, by definition unemployment is a lagging indicator by about a year so that means you wont see it go down till the 3rd quarter 2010.

What does this mean for Colorado? When we look back I was right and Colorado came out of the recession in the 3rd quarter 2009 but unfortunately our unemployment won't really start declining till the 3rd quarter this year, then 2011 should see some significant growth here. Especially if the alternative energy economy takes hold in our major cities like Pueblo.
If a person loses their job, and runs up their credit card into six-figure territory so they can keep spending, are they really better off??! I ask because that's exactly where the nation is right now.

You're applying useless cookbook methodology to a new and very dangerous fiscal situation. Between the fact that well over half of the Q4 GDP print is attributable to inventory build and not consumption, and the more important fact that this was done predominantly on borrowed (printed) money, any reported GDP growth at all is an illusion, a fantasy from fairyland.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
If a person loses their job, and runs up their credit card into six-figure territory so they can keep spending, are they really better off??! I ask because that's exactly where the nation is right now.

You're applying useless cookbook methodology to a new and very dangerous fiscal situation. Between the fact that well over half of the Q4 GDP print is attributable to inventory build and not consumption, and the more important fact that this was done predominantly on borrowed (printed) money, any reported GDP growth at all is an illusion, a fantasy from fairyland.
Like I stated unfortunately unemployment is a lagging indicator by about a year so we wont see a improvement in the unemployment rate till about 3rd quarter. That being said by definition we are coming out of the recession and that can not be disputed.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:34 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,774,765 times
Quote:
Like I stated unfortunately unemployment is a lagging indicator by about a year so we wont see a improvement in the unemployment rate till about 3rd quarter. That being said by definition we are coming out of the recession and that can not be disputed.
Bull****! What we are seeing is a false recovery from all of the funny money injected into the US economy in the last 18 months. It's not sustainable. In fact, in the longer run, it will make our recession/depression MUCH longer. What we are seeing is a "sucker rally," no more.

As to Colorado, this article in the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel is a lot more truthful:

Grand Junction shows signs of being behind U.S. economic recovery | GJSentinel.com

The only "bright spot" noted was a little blip in real estate from the first-time homebuyer's tax credit--in other words, using taxpayer money we don't have to inflate a real estate market that is still unaffordable for most people. That's the kind of absolute economic crap we get out of these idiots in Washington, D.C.--and lapped up by certain fools who still believe in their nonsense and propaganda.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Bull****! What we are seeing is a false recovery from all of the funny money injected into the US economy in the last 18 months. It's not sustainable. In fact, in the longer run, it will make our recession/depression MUCH longer. What we are seeing is a "sucker rally," no more.
Sorry by defination a recovery is when there are 3 quaters of growth in the GDP. That is a fact not a theory.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Sorry by defination a recovery is when there are 3 quaters of growth in the GDP. That is a fact not a theory.
Defination? Quater? A spellchekker iss a wunderfl thng.

The illusion of growth manufactured with the government spending borrowed money produces at best, as Obama's Angel of Debt Lawrence Summers said in Davos this week...a "statistical recovery and a human recession." It's self-serving statistical manipulation by a government that is desperate to produce the illusion of improvement, hoping that it will get the lemmings headed back to the cliff in an orderly manner once again.

I think 10%+ U3 unemployment is going to be a structural component of the US economy rather than a cyclical one for many years more, and I think that Colorado unemployment is going to continue to rise to levels much closer to the national print, especially as the foreclosure debacle continues to unfold. I was just looking at the El Paso County Public Trustee's 2009 foreclosure numbers this week. Butt...friggin...ugly, and with no signs of abatement.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Defination? Quater? A spellchekker iss a wunderfl thng.

The illusion of growth manufactured with the government spending borrowed money produces at best, as Obama's Angel of Debt Lawrence Summers said in Davos this week...a "statistical recovery and a human recession."

I think 10%+ U3 unemployment is going to be a structural component of the US economy rather than a cyclical one for many years more, and I think that Colorado unemployment is going to continue to rise to levels much closer to the national print, especially as the foreclosure debacle continues to unfold. I was just looking at the El Paso County Public Trustee's 2009 foreclosure numbers this week. Butt...friggin...ugly, and with no signs of abatement.
The facts are the facts:

1. 3 quarters of growth in the GDP means the recession has ended and the recovery has begun. It is a leading indicator.

2. Unemployment is a lagging indicator by about a year. That means after the recession has ended it will take about a year for the unemployment rate to start going down. So keep a eye on the unemployment rate in the 3rd and 4th quarter as it will start to drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or