U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 09:07 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,010,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I hope we NEVER go back to the days of real estate speculation, debt-loving, sprawl-creating, resource-wasting, and uncontrolled hedonism. That is what has damned near wrecked this once great country. The people who long for a return to that need to get a savage slap-down that they never will forget. Then, maybe this country can start to heal some of its economic and social ills.
I don't have that much faith this will come to pass. I'm afraid the real "powers behind the throne" (Wall Street) like the system that produced the most recent debacle and will not allow it to change. The cycle will repeat itself. Who's going to slap them down? Certainly not the current administration and Congress and probably not the next ones either.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:19 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't have that much faith this will come to pass. I'm afraid the real "powers behind the throne" (Wall Street) like the system that produced the most recent debacle and will not allow it to change. The cycle will repeat itself. Who's going to slap them down? Certainly not the current administration and Congress and probably not the next ones either.
Every so often, say every half-century or so, things get so out of whack that the old taskmaster called "reality" rears its ugly head and sinks the Good Ship Lollypop, no matter how much the hucksters think they can keep it afloat by spreading bull**** on the decks. We soon will be at one of those seminal moments, not unlike the beginning of the Civil War, the Silver Panic of 1893 (which was Colorado's first big slapdown after statehood), World War I, the Great Depression, and World War II.

As to the GDP numbers, James Kunstler's blog today is spot-on on that subject. One can read the whole thing here http://kunstler.com/blog/2010/02/the-jive-economy.html . Josseppie and his ilk should read this part, in particular:

Quote:
Memo to nation: we're not really growing, we're shrinking. Is this necessarily a bad thing? I dunno. Unlike, say, the stockholders of Toll Brothers I'm not so sure that "housing starts" represents my idea of a healthy economy -- since it really means we're destroying every cornfield and cow pasture left outside our cities, which will play havoc with our national life when the reality of our Wile E. Coyote agribusiness fiasco starts to hit home and we discover what cornfields and cow pastures were really all about in the first place.
Likewise, the standard processors of news media go orgasmic when they announce car sales figures of 11 million units annualized, or something like that. Isn't that wonderful: more cars on the San Diego Freeway and the Cross Bronx Expressway. Ever larger parking requirements for the new WalMart. More trips-per-household to buy milk and Fruit Loops. Do you really think that more suburban sprawl makes this a better nation? When our soldiers bleed out in the sands of Central Asia, will their last thoughts be of the curb cut between the Best Buy and the Burger King?
By the way, it is established fact that the GDP figure benefits from increases in medical services, meaning that the more obese, diabetic, two-pack-a-day cigarette smokers this country produces, the better off our economy is assumed to be. Bring on the Little Debbie Snack Cakes! Let's turn up the dial on hospital admissions!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:28 AM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
All of us need to keep this thread centered on Colorado.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:25 PM

16,505 posts, read 20,901,804 times
I've posted various items about what is going on in the Grand Junction area, so I'll pick this thread.

The recession is still around here, for a while anyway. Today I was over at U-Haul to buy some cardboard boxes and a trailer hitch. I ran into something I haven't seen here in over 20 years-a parking lot with no rental trucks.

Not too hard to figure out why. People are loading the rental trucks, and getting out of Dodge. What worries me is the construction support industry; the Ryall Electrics, the Pete Honnen equipment companies, the W.W.Graingers. You can stay and wait out a recession for a certain amount of time. How much time will that be? A year? A few years? Have they gone too far in regards to building here?

Old 02-01-2010, 04:51 PM

345 posts, read 869,132 times
Does anyone know what the current U6 figures are for Colorado?

Old 02-11-2010, 06:10 PM

12,173 posts, read 20,952,639 times
Exclamation Expert says Pueblo's economy better than Denver, Springs

This is from KOAA about Colorado's economy and is interesting so I thought I would post it.

A new study on the local economy shows Pueblo is outperforming other cities in Colorado. The study was done by the Healy Center in the Hasan School of Business at CSU-Pueblo and well-known economist Tucker Hart Adams

The link: NewsFirst5.com | Colorado Springs news, Colorado Springs weather, Pueblo news, Pueblo weather |Expert says Pueblo's economy better than Denver, Springs

Old 02-11-2010, 11:24 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,735,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This is from KOAA about Colorado's economy and is interesting so I thought I would post it.

A new study on the local economy shows Pueblo is outperforming other cities in Colorado. The study was done by the Healy Center in the Hasan School of Business at CSU-Pueblo and well-known economist Tucker Hart Adams

The link: NewsFirst5.com | Colorado Springs news, Colorado Springs weather, Pueblo news, Pueblo weather |Expert says Pueblo's economy better than Denver, Springs
Geez, she's a professional pundit that got it wrong with all the rest when things all started heading south.

She's a paid talking head for the Brooks International Speaker's Bureau, which had this on it's web page: "Engage professional speaker Tucker Hart Adams to deliver a economy talk at your next event. Contact Brooks International Speakers Bureau for booking details..."

So I have little doubt if I want to pay her fee, she'll come to Colorado Springs and say nice things about our economy, too.

Considering the source, it's another all-fat no-nutrition nothingburger. A Josseppie specialty.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:14 AM

12,173 posts, read 20,952,639 times
Except that is the second study to show that, the other was out of Nevada.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:31 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,735,461 times
First, I've seen enough of the raw data over time to know a spin job when I see it.

And second, even if it the results didn't look as ***** as a three dollar bill, the conclusion one would draw is that "you can't fall out of a well." Big news there.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:25 AM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Geez, she's a professional pundit that got it wrong with all the rest when things all started heading south.

She's a paid talking head for the Brooks International Speaker's Bureau, which had this on it's web page: "Engage professional speaker Tucker Hart Adams to deliver a economy talk at your next event. Contact Brooks International Speakers Bureau for booking details..."

So I have little doubt if I want to pay her fee, she'll come to Colorado Springs and say nice things about our economy, too.
Ms. Adams base of business is HERE in Colorado Springs.

She correctly called the recession, back in 2007 when it began, as did Peter Schiff in the video below.

Tucker Hart Adams is the retired CHIEF ECONOMIST for U. S. Bank. She is not some goofy talking head on TV like pumpmonkeys Art Laffer and Ben Stein and some other clowns on Faux News who laughed at Peter Schiff who was a guest on their broadcast and who correctly called the debt crisis, plunging real estate values and the recession. Watch the geniuses, er, pumpmonkeys at Fox get it TOTALLY wrong. This is the video where Ben Stein says not to worry about sub-prime mortgages, it was "just a blip" and not a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I0QN-FYkpw
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or