U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 03:55 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,735,198 times

Advertisements

And then there's the closure of Huerfano County Correctional Facility, which was keeping the lid on 700 inmates from AZ...announced ~2 weeks ago that they will completely shut down the facility in about 60 days as cash-strapped Arizona decides it can no longer pay to keep prisoners in outsourced prisons. I think it's the 2nd or 3rd largest employer in the county.

We really need a green shoot smilie to keep up with all this good news.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:11 PM

12,173 posts, read 20,950,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post

We really need a green shoot smilie to keep up with all this good news.
I have one. A solar company is looking to build an advanced solar plant in Pueblo that will employ close to 500 people plus any suppliers who move in and its the same developer who is working on the Colorado Energy Park.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:01 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,774,765 times
Here is an old saying you need to learn, and repeat about a hundred times, Josseppie: Talk is cheap and beer costs money. Bob posts about real things actually happening in this mess of an economy; all you can talk about it is what some company says they are going to do, says they are planning to do, says they are thinking about, or says they might do. You need to learn the difference between the verbs "will" and "is."

Old 02-12-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Here is an old saying you need to learn, and repeat about a hundred times, Josseppie: Talk is cheap and beer costs money. Bob posts about real things actually happening in this mess of an economy; all you can talk about it is what some company says they are going to do, says they are planning to do, says they are thinking about, or says they might do. You need to learn the difference between the verbs "will" and "is."
What I talk about is not some idea that might or might not happen but has already been in the news. Here is the article about it:

The proposed plant, with its 468 workers, is expected to make a selection before April 1. Pueblo, with its proposed Colorado Energy Park – providing land for solar, nuclear and other energy technologies – seems like a logical choice. The city is also a likely choice given its 6.0 rating for solar irradiance (on a domestic scale of 2.0 to 6.5) and its more than 300 days of sunshine per year.

The link: Vibrant, Helios Eye Pueblo, Colorado for Solar Factory | Cooler Planet News

They should located next to Vesta's who will employ about 550 employees making a combined total of over 1,000 employees before any suppliers move in. This will be a big boost to the local and state economy.

Last edited by Josseppie; 02-12-2010 at 11:56 PM..

Old 02-13-2010, 09:06 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,834,005 times
Josseppie...granted, the talking-about-it stage is part of the process, but you assume that the talking-about-it stage is a done deal. The talking-about-it stage offers a possibility...not a reality, not even a probability.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:34 AM

Even though I get excited about proposed projects because of what they could mean I do know the difference.

For example the Colorado Energy Park is a proposed idea that continues to take shape and if it happens will have a profound impact on the Pueblo MSA and Colorado economy. While the Solar Plant is in the final selection stage and a formal announcement should be in the next month or so. Thus, it is past the "proposed" stage and into the "site selection" stage.

Last edited by Josseppie; 02-13-2010 at 10:56 AM..

Old 02-13-2010, 12:39 PM

I've probably been around development projects longer than you've been alive, Josseppie. Until the deal is closed and dirt starts to fly, they are all still "proposed" in my book. I've lost count how many "sure thing--it's gonna happen" projects fall by the wayside--actually a lot more than ever get built. Once started, they may still falter. Colorado is full of half-completed carcasses of projects that died aborning. Some may revive, but many won't--especially in this toxic economy. I don't like to base my expectations on unhatched chickens.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:10 PM

Fair enough. As soon as there is a formal announcement I will post it here.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 PM

Not only is Colorado going to be a major player in the alternative energy industry with such developments like the Colorado Energy Park in Pueblo but Colorado will still be a major player in the oil industry.

This was in the Denver Business Journal:

The possibility of a big oil discovery in northern Colorado’s sprawling Denver-Julesburg basin, according to industry sources, has many in the state’s energy industry talking about the area’s potential

The link: http://denver.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2010/02/15/daily43.html

Old 02-18-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Not only is Colorado going to be a major player in the alternative energy industry with such developments like the Colorado Energy Park in Pueblo but Colorado will still be a major player in the oil industry.

This was in the Denver Business Journal:

The possibility of a big oil discovery in northern Colorado’s sprawling Denver-Julesburg basin, according to industry sources, has many in the state’s energy industry talking about the area’s potential

The link: http://denver.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2010/02/15/daily43.html
Here we go again: "Might", "could be", "possibly." That is not "IS". If you knew ANYTHING about the petroleum industry, you would know that one or weeks of production information on ONE well means almost nothing. This is the kind of stuff that oil speculators love to spew out there to stir up speculation. The problem these days is that people are so delusional about accepting the reality of resource depletion and our debt-destroyed economy that they will latch onto any tiny scrap of news that has even a scintilla of hope attached to it. Unfortunately, most of what they latching onto is one letter off from "hope"--it's "hype."

Josseppie, if a nuclear bomb leveled Colorado Springs, you would say it's great because, after all, irradiation is a great way to preserve food. Start looking at the big picture and develop a little healthy cynicism about what people spew out there that really isn't fact, instead of pimping every little more than hearsay story that fits your "everything is going to be wonderful" vision. GET REAL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or