Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

I used to think the Front Range would never be "californicated"; now I'm not so sure. Of course, no one apparently forsaw the drop in the birth rate in Europe and Japan, either, until after it started happening. If that happens here, we may be "saved".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 03:20 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I used to think the Front Range would never be "californicated"; now I'm not so sure. Of course, no one apparently forsaw the drop in the birth rate in Europe and Japan, either, until after it started happening. If that happens here, we may be "saved".
good points. the front range is not just growing from birth/death imbalance, though, being a destination for tons of transplants, right?

Old 10-22-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
good points. the front range is not just growing from birth/death imbalance, though, being a destination for tons of transplants, right?
Yes, though if there were fewer people altogether, there would be fewer to move here. And Colorado does attract young people who start families. That is what we did when we came here.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:36 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,788 times
there's an abc news clip regarding water issues (you can get to it from the yahoo home page at the moment). it's about the fight over water growing between alabama, georgia, and florida, and touches upon some of what's projected to come for the rest of the US. just thought it interesting in part since it's re: the WET and less quickly growing parts of the US, mainly (while we hear so much about what the west has to look forward to).

Old 10-30-2007, 10:38 AM

260 posts, read 1,438,522 times
Colorado has supply issues with their water, because we haven't built a dam in 25 years! The front range is now paying for what the environmentalists did to us.

At the same time, places like CA and AZ bought up most of the water going the other way.

And, Colorado continues to allow flood-farming to grow hay for cattle grazing and flood farming for a pathetic yield of corn along the major rivers into Eastern Colorado.

So we pay way more than we should, because we haven't planne for new storage and continue to squander the water for pennies to the farmers ... and the city folks pay an arm and a leg. Denver isn't too bad, but some cities have amazingly expensive water.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:30 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.adams View Post
Colorado has supply issues with their water, because we haven't built a dam in 25 years! The front range is now paying for what the environmentalists did to us.

At the same time, places like CA and AZ bought up most of the water going the other way.

And, Colorado continues to allow flood-farming to grow hay for cattle grazing and flood farming for a pathetic yield of corn along the major rivers into Eastern Colorado.

So we pay way more than we should, because we haven't planne for new storage and continue to squander the water for pennies to the farmers ... and the city folks pay an arm and a leg. Denver isn't too bad, but some cities have amazingly expensive water.
So, let's flood every scenic river canyon in the state by building more reservoirs that may fill up in the spring and may be dry by fall (very scenic?); let's dry up every irrigated farm in eastern Colorado (what the hell, we don't need the food anyway--we can import that); let's dry up every subirrigated wetland in the state, turn them back into deserts, and send the water to bluegrass lawns (like Denver and Colorado Springs have already done to South Park). Let's do all of that so that we can move in another few million into the sprawling mess of the Front Range and make it JUST LIKE L.A.--which the last time I checked, a jillion people posting on this forum would like to escape.

I am a Colorado native (+50 years or so). I, for one, am getting really sick and tired of every Tom, Dick, and Harry coming along with the idea of "developing" or "improving" the place. Sure, there's more people, money, trophy houses, etc., etc. now, but as far as overall quality of life--it's not near as nice now as it used to be. I'm sorry if that statement upsets people who think all of that "stuff" is cool, or people who haven't been around long enough to remember what Colorado was like when it really WAS nice. Truth is, there is very little man can do to improve what God already created in Colorado--I wish to hell we would quit trying . . .

Old 10-30-2007, 12:40 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Quote:
I see this term thrown around a lot on these forums, but I'm not sure what you mean by it. Would you mind elaborating?

Old 10-30-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I see this term thrown around a lot on these forums, but I'm not sure what you mean by it. Would you mind elaborating?
Certainly. It means suburban sprawl, with all that goes with it, e.g. traffic, air pollution (I know Denver's is bad, but it would just get worse), lots more people, etc. Of course, that is just the bad side of it.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:51 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Certainly. It means suburban sprawl, with all that goes with it, e.g. traffic, air pollution (I know Denver's is bad, but it would just get worse), lots more people, etc. Of course, that is just the bad side of it.
By your definition that would include Johnson County Kansas as well. That county SW of the Kansas City metro area has seen a huge increase in population, traffic, and some air pollution issues as well.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:23 PM

You may be reading more into the definition than I meant. Everyone who has been to California knows the traffic situation, even on multi-lane roads, the air quality situation, the huge number of people (millions). I do not beieve I have ever been to Johnson Co. Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado