U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
5,676 posts, read 9,415,476 times
Reputation: 2896

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

I think Denver has done a great job in public transit, even back in the early days.

Livecontent
My dad grew up in Denver in the 1940s/1950s and says there were trolleys back then.

 
Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 AM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Reputation: 9132
Denver's mass transit, though improved in recent years, is a but a shadow of what existed between the the early 1900's and about 1950. Denver during those years had a first rate PRIVATE trolley and interurban system. I've recommended it before, but a good read about that era is the book, "Mile High Trolleys," long out-of-print, but probably available at the library or at used book outlets. I always chuckle when people gush about today's quite limited light rail system in Denver, when it had a far more extensive system back when the city was a quarter of its current population. So much for "progress."

As a side note, my parents lived in Denver in the days of the trolleys, and my Mom actually cried when they made their last runs. She and my Dad used them all of the time.
 
Old 10-20-2009, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,764 posts, read 16,834,005 times
Reputation: 9316
I don't remember the trolleys in Denver, but I remember the trolleys in Philadelphia. Once or twice a year we'd go to the city and ride the trolleys to a Phillies game. As a kid that was pure fun, usually better than the game itself. Unlike the Phillies of today, the Phillies of that era sucked. I think they lost every game I ever attended. But the trolley ride made up for it!
 
Old 10-20-2009, 11:04 AM
 
2,437 posts, read 7,267,213 times
Reputation: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Denver's mass transit, though improved in recent years, is a but a shadow of what existed between the the early 1900's and about 1950. Denver during those years had a first rate PRIVATE trolley and interurban system. I've recommended it before, but a good read about that era is the book, "Mile High Trolleys," long out-of-print, but probably available at the library or at used book outlets. I always chuckle when people gush about today's quite limited light rail system in Denver, when it had a far more extensive system back when the city was a quarter of its current population. So much for "progress."

As a side note, my parents lived in Denver in the days of the trolleys, and my Mom actually cried when they made their last runs. She and my Dad used them all of the time.

My Great-Grandfather (whom I never met) was a streetcar driver in Pueblo. When I acted surprised that Pueblo had public transit 100 years ago, she said all the towns had streetcars in those days... that's just how you got around.

To the OP: I, like most, find those mega churches unsavory as well. But, why would you need to feel pissed off every day by their mere presence? As long as you don't move in right next door, they, nor their members, should be no more obtrusive than the giant smokestacks in downtown.
 
Old 10-20-2009, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Nebraska
4,231 posts, read 7,239,616 times
Reputation: 6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcofield View Post
I know this has been asked a million times before but everyone's situation is different.

My story:

I am 23, my fiancé is 24 and our puppy is a little less than a year old. We currently live east of Tampa, FL. It takes around 40 minutes to drive to Tampa because of the traffic. We are both Juniors at the University of South Florida. He is majoring in Chemistry with an interest in Physics and I am majoring in Psychology with an interest in Education. We were both born here. He has lived here all his life and when I was younger I lived in Alabama and a brief summer in Illinois. We bought a house here two years ago. We usually work full time and go to school part time. I have worked in fast food and office jobs. He has worked in fast food and at Tropicana orange juice in the quality lab.
I became unemployed in June and was just offered a temporary job that ends at the end of the year. He became unemployed in September and has a interview with the community college next Friday.

Ryan has always wanted to live in Colorado and his parents moved to Elizabeth two years ago. We visited last November and I fell in love with the state.

If we do not find good jobs, we will be forced to short sale our house and his parents have offered to let us stay with them for a while until we find a job and place to stay.

The problem is....deciding where to live. Which city will best suit us?
We are very liberal, non-religious. We need a city with a not so long drive to a college. We need a city that is dog friendly. Specifically, pit bull looking dogs. We don't know what breed she is but we have been told she looks like a cross between a pit bull and a boxer. No kids right now but will be having kids in a few years.

I thought Boulder would be great but when we drove through it, I was not impressed. Plus, I have heard that it is pricey.

Then we drove through Colorado Springs and we both feel in love. But after doing some research, I am iffy about it. I've heard that it is a very religious city. TWO mega churches involved in politics?! I'd rather not be pissed off everyday.

I'm not afraid of the cold. But I am afraid of driving in the snow. So MAYBE a place where it would be easy to bike to/from work? Or a good public transportation system?

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
***********************************************
Chemistry and Psychology majors. I would think that several schools offer advanced degrees in both areas. CU at Boulder, CSU at Ft. Collins. UNC at Greeley may not have advanced degrees in Chemistry but sure would in Psy. Those are public supported colleges. There are many Private schools scattered throughout the area also. Another visit at your parents house might be in order.

GL2
 
Old 10-20-2009, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
2,221 posts, read 4,735,461 times
Reputation: 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcofield View Post
Then we drove through Colorado Springs and we both feel in love. But after doing some research, I am iffy about it. I've heard that it is a very religious city. TWO mega churches involved in politics?! I'd rather not be pissed off everyday.
We didn't get our reputation for being a conservative community with lots of religious activity for nothing. So perhaps you really should settle somewhere else...after all, we don't want to have to be pissed off at you every day either!!
 
Old 10-20-2009, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,764 posts, read 16,834,005 times
Reputation: 9316
kcofield wrote:
Then we drove through Colorado Springs and we both feel in love. But after doing some research, I am iffy about it.
You're created a dilemna for yourself that can be easily resolved by honestly answering this question: What's more real to you, after the fact research or your own feelings....based on your own experience?


I seriously doubt that any of the churches teach their congregations to be pissed off at other people, so you needn't worry about that.
 
Old 10-20-2009, 01:46 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Reputation: 9132
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
My Great-Grandfather (whom I never met) was a streetcar driver in Pueblo. When I acted surprised that Pueblo had public transit 100 years ago, she said all the towns had streetcars in those days... that's just how you got around.
Even Durango had a trolley system in the early 1900's, as did places like Cripple Creek and Victor. Funny, how those little tidbits of history are lost on modern Coloradans. By the way, treedonkey, there is a great book on Pueblo's trolley system, "Puebo's Steel Town Trolleys," that was published a few years ago by the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden. It has a ton of photos--your Great Grandad might have been in one of them! I believe the author, Morris Cafky, still lives in your nearby town of Colorado Springs--a very well-versed Colorado historian and author.
 
Old 10-20-2009, 02:11 PM
 
2,437 posts, read 7,267,213 times
Reputation: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Even Durango had a trolley system in the early 1900's, as did places like Cripple Creek and Victor. Funny, how those little tidbits of history are lost on modern Coloradans. By the way, treedonkey, there is a great book on Pueblo's trolley system, "Puebo's Steel Town Trolleys," that was published a few years ago by the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden. It has a ton of photos--your Great Grandad might have been in one of them! I believe the author, Morris Cafky, still lives in your nearby town of Colorado Springs--a very well-versed Colorado historian and author.
Can't rep you again yet, but thanks... great info... I wonder what Mr. Cafky might know about the family name 'Bovee'. I'll check out that book for sure!
 
Old 10-20-2009, 04:08 PM
 
13,291 posts, read 25,455,947 times
Reputation: 20358
I remember the Philly trolleys, or "streetcars" as they were also called. Much more appealing than the smoky SEPTA buses. Buses make me nauseous, and trains/trolleys never bothered me. I like 'em.
And how about "streetcar suburbs?" Around Boston, they are by far the most valuable/expensive housing around, for their density, trees, great public transport and proximity to the main city. That's true today, even with the advent of virtually universal car ownership.

I think any additional urban rail transport is to be celebrated, even if it's a shadow of the non-car past. Denver sounds intriguing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top