U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:11 PM

171 posts, read 788,244 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
Can you please tell me in your opinion, what is the best lake community in CO, in regards to family living? We are a family of five, love the water, boating, swimming, biking, practically every outdoor activity
We need great schools, affordable home and a 1 hour or less commute to major airport for work. Looking for a neighborhood where you can make life long friends, etc.

Any ideas for me to check into? And why is that your favorite spot, ammenties, local culture, area events etc?? Places to steer clear from?

Thanks for your time, can't wait to here all about it.
~Kali
PS We have narrowed it down to a few states. Please help us decide where to take our next visit and start our search for a new quality of life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 06:24 PM

10,903 posts, read 29,383,051 times
Me, Oh me, pick me...

uh...could you tell us more like price range? There are two near $500,000 and two closer to $800,000.

There is also a brand new community I am fond of, in the CCSD.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:40 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,359,526 times
Depending upon your concept of "affordable", BowMar comes to mind ....

There's also some properties close by on the South Side of Chatfield Res.

Your requirement for a major airport within 1 hour commute really limits your choices in Colorado to Denver or CSprings. Dillon/Frisco might be nice, but it's a bit further away. The trade-off would be close access to several major ski areas of Colorado in the winter.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:32 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,837,799 times
You've got to be kidding, right? There are very few natural lakes in Colorado, mostly just reservoirs. There are some lakes up around Loveland and Fort Collins, but again most are water storage reservoirs where water levels flucuate greatly seasonally and from year to year. Many of the reservoirs are surrounded by public land, as well. Colorado is not a "lake" state. Want lakes? Move to Minnesota.

Except for the higher mountains, most of Colorado is semi-desert or desert.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:57 PM

476 posts, read 2,126,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaligirl View Post
Hi Everyone,
Can you please tell me in your opinion, what is the best lake community in CO, in regards to family living? We are a family of five, love the water, boating, swimming, biking, practically every outdoor activity
We need great schools, affordable home and a 1 hour or less commute to major airport for work. Looking for a neighborhood where you can make life long friends, etc.

Any ideas for me to check into? And why is that your favorite spot, ammenties, local culture, area events etc?? Places to steer clear from?

Thanks for your time, can't wait to here all about it.
~Kali
PS We have narrowed it down to a few states. Please help us decide where to take our next visit and start our search for a new quality of life!
Kaligirl, check out the Durango area. There are many towns and suburban areas including resort lake towns in the Durango area. There are several lakes including the warmer Lake Navajo for jet skiing, boating, etc. Many lakes in the area. Some natural and some not but still this area has some of the largest lakes in Colorado. A nice airport, great hospitals in the area and lots to do.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:08 PM

171 posts, read 788,244 times
Wow you guys are great and make me laugh. Ok 2BinDenver I pick you.

And to everyone else let's leave "affordable" out of it. Since right now I'd just like to truly find a great lake community. The rest I can research and see if it is a fit. So please tell me all about your favorites.

LuvNM, thanks for the info to look in the Durango area, something I hadn't considered yet.

Jazz, MN wasnt on our list, but do tell, am I missing the best Lake Comm by not considering it, please advise....I am open for suggestions.

I am keeping all options open, dont plan to relocate again. This is it, our big chance, best timing before the kids dig in and become unflexable, too, LOL.

Thanks again everyone, please keep the info coming.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:29 PM

476 posts, read 2,126,456 times
Kaligirl, here is a link to a picture of Vallecito Lake near Durango. One of the area lakes.
http://www.betterdaysarecoming.com/v.../vallecito.jpg

This is the area that I am going to live in Bayfield someday. Here is info on it and the area:
http://www.betterdaysarecoming.com/v...et9/set-9.html

Lake Navajo, the warmer lake for jet skiing and boating in:
http://www.hexaploid.com/nmmaps/sanjuan/navajo-l_30Apr06_0369.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 05-08-2007 at 11:42 PM..

Old 05-09-2007, 12:57 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,708,587 times
Lakes? Who needs that-- nothing but murky water, drowning hazards, and bugs. The closest thing to that would be Cherry Creek Dam, Aurora Reservoir, Chatfield, Boulder Dam. These can be nice once in awhile for people who happen to live in Denver, but they are certainly not a reason to come to Colorado. Even if you like artificial dams in desert areas, there are far nicer ones in other parts of the west. Las Vegas is right next to Lake Mead, a huge sprawling lake that fills up an entire canyon with now-truncated mountains all around. Phoenix has Lake Pleasant, Roosevelt Dam, Apache Lake, etc, all close by, similar thing. Lake Powell, of course blows away any lake in Colorado. Colorado is an amazingly beautiful state-- mountain streams, sure, but not for lakes.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:22 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,837,799 times
Kaligirl,

I didn't mean to sound harsh, but Colorado, contrary to what many think, is a semi-arid to arid western state. As others have said, it has beautiful mountains, deserts, and plains--but, outside of the mountains, it's a dry place.

ILUVNM loves to promote Durango. It's definitely pretty, but darned expensive. As to Vallecito Reservoir, it is one of the prettiest in the state. BUT, a few a years back a forest fire burned over a good chunk of the whole area. The reservoir was nearly dry due to the drought, and people actually drove their vehicles down into the lakebed to keep them from getting burned up in the fire. A friend of mine who lives down there was one of those people. The fire came within about 50 feet of his house but it didn't burn--he was lucky, a lot weren't.

Now, Minnesota. The state motto is "Land of 10,000 lakes." The state says there are actually more than that. Some are right next to the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area. Lake Wayzata comes to mind. Look at a map of Minnesota and you will see what I mean. Of course, with the lakes come the mosquitoes. There are umpteen jokes and stories about Minnesota mosquitoes. ("What's the Minnesota state bird? The mosquito.") Of course, too, Minnesota winters can be really cold and snowy.

I have relatives in the Dakotas and Minnesota, and--though I haven't personally been to that part of the state--they tell me that the northern part of Minnesota is a wilderness wonderland. Terrific hunting and fishing, etc., etc. Minneapolis/St. Paul is too big a city for me, but it constantly rates high as a place to live. If I had to relocate out of the Rocky Mountain West (I'm a Colorado native), I would strongly consider Minnesota as an alternative. Some pretty country and very nice people there.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:33 AM

42 posts, read 188,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Lakes? Who needs that-- nothing but murky water, drowning hazards, and bugs. The closest thing to that would be Cherry Creek Dam, Aurora Reservoir, Chatfield, Boulder Dam. These can be nice once in awhile for people who happen to live in Denver, but they are certainly not a reason to come to Colorado. Even if you like artificial dams in desert areas, there are far nicer ones in other parts of the west. Las Vegas is right next to Lake Mead, a huge sprawling lake that fills up an entire canyon with now-truncated mountains all around. Phoenix has Lake Pleasant, Roosevelt Dam, Apache Lake, etc, all close by, similar thing. Lake Powell, of course blows away any lake in Colorado. Colorado is an amazingly beautiful state-- mountain streams, sure, but not for lakes.
That is unless you plan on being a mountain goat and live high above timberline, where there are many crater lakes, a great number of the creeks come from them. Love them for hiking to, fishing and looking at what the good Lord has made. Those are just about the only natural lakes there are in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or