U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,566 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move to Colorado. I work from home, so I only need to commute into Denver about once a week (hopefully a one hour drive or less). I also love the outdoors, and would like to be no more than 45 minutes to a good ski resort or two. I currently live in Florida and am quite tired of elderly folks and golf courses. I also do not want to be around rowdy college kids either, but find a place that is perfect for family oriented people. Must be a safe area with great scenery, lots of outdoor activities, and relatively close to large population areas and ski resorts. Any suggestions?

Last edited by PapaSpot; 10-19-2009 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,421,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSpot View Post
I am planning a move to Colorado. I work from home, so I only need to commute into Denver about once a week (hopefully a one hour drive or less). I also love the outdoors, and would like to be no more than 45 minutes to a good ski resort or two. I currently live in Florida and am quite tired of elderly folks and golf courses. I also do not want to be around rowdy college kids either, but find a place that is perfect for family oriented people. Must be a safe area with great scenery, lots of outdoor activities, and relatively close to large population areas and ski resorts. Any suggestions?
This fits many areas along the Front Range, as well as many mountain communities. It will be hard to give you suggestions unless you provide a bit more information. Helpful things would include general price range, city size, etc. You might also use the search function, as many people are looking for something similar, and you might be able to narrow your search that way. Good luck!

Old 10-20-2009, 08:07 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 18 days ago)

10,882 posts, read 29,307,638 times
Golden, Conifer, Evergreen, Georgetown, Boulder, Arvada, Colorado Springs, Monument....

Maybe more than an hour to the slopes.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:00 AM

5,676 posts, read 9,415,476 times
Due to your requirement of being close to large populations areas, you'll have to limit yourself to in and around the Front Range (Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder - I25 corridor.) The rest of Colorado is very sparsely populated and isolated. Even places like Durango and Grand Junction are small, and far from any metropolitan areas.

So you could look at Littleton, Golden, Boulder, Georgetown, Dillon, Longmont. The ski areas around there are Winter Park, Copper Mountain.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:15 PM

291 posts, read 805,275 times
You neglected to say what you want to spend on housing, either purchase or rental. With the limited amount of info provided, I would recommend Evergreen. It's in the foothills, about 25 minutes to downtown when not driving in rush hour. It would also put you within your 45 minutes to Keystone and Copper Mountain. The big caveat is, where you live in Evergreen. These times are do able if you live close to I-70. Evergreen is so spread out, that it could take you as long as 20 minutes or more just to get to I-70.

Now people coming to Denver, think that Evergreen is going to be their slice of heaven because it's in the hills and has pine trees growing all around it. Since I've lived here 35 years, I've got plenty of stories about people that moved to Evergreen, who eventually abandoned it and move down to Denver. Everyone has their reasons but the majority do it because of the weather. In Colorado, we don't measure weather changes by how many hundred miles you drive in a particular direction, but in how many hundred feet. Evergreen is cooler than Denver, and it's not until about the 4th of July until you can sit out on your deck in the evenining without a sweater. That will last until about Labor Day.

You mentined a great family neighborhood with scenery. Well, there are great families that live there, but because of the lay of the land, most homes aren't very close together, meaning there may not be the frequent interaction you would find in a more traditional neighborhood. Also, most homes there don't have great scenery, because you're surrounded by trees. You'll see great scenery on the drive to your home, but most homes won't have it. Now the exception is if you're prepared to spend big bucks for that view. The best views of the mountains are from Denver, and the further east the better.

You said you also wanted to be close to lots of outdoor activities. I think the Denver metro area will provide more of that than the mountains, unless your only activity is skiing or boarding. There are lots of trails and places to hike all over the city and close foothills, and with better weather down here, you'll be able to take advantage of the facilities more than if you lived in the mountains.
It will put you a little further than you 45 minute drive to the ski areas, but not by much, especially if you live in the western suburbs. You've got C-470 & 6th Avenue, that can put you at I-70 in a matter of minutes.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:44 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,517,528 times
I agree with JerryBckr....Evergreen. Maybe IF you need to be closer to I70 then...Genessee Park$$$$$
Of course I would always recommend Applewood...really close to everything.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:19 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,510,199 times
"...quite tired of elderly folks and golf courses..."
"...perfect for family oriented people..."

Well, well, Interesting comments.

Ahem...grrr, oh, ah, We elderly folks are everywhere and we tend to infest areas that are "perfect for family oriented people" uuuu, aaah, gre Ahem, I think you have a problem--you cannot get away from us, if those are your choices.

Golf courses, yea, we all golf, with our walkers and canes...ooooh, my back... yep, we do it all and there are golf course everywhere--ah, yes, they attract us like fly paper.

Well, Interesting Comments...Did I say that...what was I saying...oh, yea, young man...let see, no, that was not it. wait, got to blow my nose, sneeze, sniff, drr...you still there...ok ...So,so, what are you going to do, youngin. I tell you what, if you wait a few years more---you will be one of those--"elderly folks". Let me be the first to welcome you to the invisible, ignored, ostracized and forgotten.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado