U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 02:16 PM

22 posts, read 85,873 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice where I can move to in Colorado where it is friendly, very scenic, not too expensive, but close by some kind of social life for a young 50'sh single lady who loves walking, horse riding, the four seasons, country but not too far from some culture....any ideas would be very gratefully received...I have always wanted to live in Colorado and it looks like my path is clear to do so.................HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 11 days ago)

10,879 posts, read 29,283,722 times
Montana or Wyoming?

Old 10-25-2009, 03:51 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,932,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble1157 View Post
Looking for advice where I can move to in Colorado where it is friendly, very scenic, not too expensive, but close by some kind of social life for a young 50'sh single lady who loves walking, horse riding, the four seasons, country but not too far from some culture....any ideas would be very gratefully received...I have always wanted to live in Colorado and it looks like my path is clear to do so.................HELP
As a RE agent, would you be able to find a home for a client with this information, or would you feel you could do a better job (and avoid wasting your valuable time) if they could provide more detailed information on budget, job needs, what kind of home/acreage they're looking for, etc.?

Right now, the best advice we can give you is to avoid the plains on the eastern half of the state, and find something fairly close to one of the cities.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,480 times
I just posted a long reply on the Grand Junction area, but for some reason it didn't post. I'll try to rewrite it, but in the meantime, check out the Grand Junction and Battlement Mesa areas. Not sure how close you want to be to a "big city". Grand Junction is about 55-60,000 and has a lot of what you seem to be looking for. I'm going to wait a bit to see if my earlier reply posts, and if not I'll try to remember what I said the first time!

Old 10-25-2009, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,480 times
Default Check out the Grand Junction and Battlement Mesa areas

bumble,

I am in a similar situation as you, although I have been living in Colorado for about 36 years. I have lived in the Rifle area for about 9 Ĺ years but while I know a lot of people here, I have made few close ďfriendsĒ. I am 60 years old and have not found a lot to do socially in Rifle, while I know there must be people my age that like to get out and have a little fun, I havenít found them yet. Iím certainly not ready for a retirement home. There are a lot of activities going on here, and in the area, but I have found that people tend to keep to themselves. I am looking to move closer to a bigger city but by that Iím talking about a population of 50,000 give or take with most of the amenities of the ďbig cityĒ.

For the last few years I have been researching cities in Colorado. I do prefer mountain towns and the problem with that is a lot of the towns I was attracted to had a higher cost of living and some were an hour or so from a bigger city. Thatís why Iíve seriously been looking at the Grand Junction area. The population is about 55-60,000 and there are a lot of smaller surrounding towns. The town is pretty spread out so you can find a home in the city, or on the outskirts and still be close to town. Grand Junction has pretty much all of the amenities you would probably need and has a diverse population with more people of retirement age moving there, but thereís also Mesa State College. It has a large mall and shopping area, a great old downtown area and a fair amount of cultural activities. It is also a great area for outdoor activities. The weather is pretty mild most of the time, although it can get hot in the summer (not intolerable) and it does snow in the winter, but the big snowstorms are relatively rare and the roads are cleared quickly so travel is generally not a problem. Real estate can be higher than a lot of the other areas of the country, but for Colorado, prices aren't too bad. Thatís why I like it Ė fair weather, great people, good amenities, and a small airport so easy to travel in and out of.

Iíve also considered the Battlement Mesa (Parachute) area. It is about 30 minutes from Grand Junction, and has been designed so that there are areas of the community that are for families, areas for those nearing or in retirement (that have townhomes and homes), and areas that are mixed. Itís got a great community clubhouse with planned activities and a golf course pretty centrally located. Nice community feeling there.

Hope some of this is helpful to you and am looking forward to replies from other people who might have insights into other towns I have not thought of.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 AM

5,676 posts, read 9,402,779 times
around here, "very scenic" = "expensive" so you'll have to make compromises.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:25 AM

90 posts, read 223,518 times
You didn't say why you want Colorado specifically. I also use this site to look for my soft place to fall and am your age too, but I am focused on CO because I am skier. (btw, skiers are used to giving up a lot for our sport.)(things that bother me the most about CO is dryness, water issues, altitude for visitors which I hope will come) CO is pretty far from FL if you just want scenery and the other things you mentioned. Have you thought of Asheville NC? If I wasn't so into skiing and snow I think I would consider that area. (I have one son who may stay in NC and one who may stay in CO)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado