U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 03:51 PM

13,290 posts, read 25,452,589 times

Advertisements

Heh.
I take part in the Mass. forum because I live here, and the CO forum because I visited so much and bought and sold property twice on a daydream in Ridgway (and am still tempted).
I guess that is "all over CD!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 08:56 PM

36 posts, read 101,498 times
Ok, I'm a homesick Boston suburb gal so I'll throw in my 2 cents. State funding for schools here is horrible, thanks to state budget restrictions. So school quality varies depending where you live.
I find people here slightly less reserved initially but difficult to get to know well. Besides, Mass. people are more blunt--you know where you stand with them. They do speak up. The earlier poster who called Coloradans "passive-aggressive" was accurate, I think.
Congestion on 1-25, the main route through downtown Denver, is heavy during rush hours. It extends towards the northern and southern suburbs.
Housing is much more affordable than Boston. But you get what you pay for. Towns around Boston, in my experience, have more character. There are a lot of cookie-cutter subdivisions out here, and towns which are all cookie-cutter subdivisions and big-box stores.
What I miss the most is water. The ocean, yeah, but ponds, rivers with enough water in them, green-ness in general.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:11 PM

If I had the good fortune to live in CO, I'd never miss the murky, steamy grey humid summers here in eastern Mass. They're not even hot anymore- just 90-100 percent humid (without rain).
I wouldn't miss the ocean. Water that goes up and down and up and down worries me. I do live near a pretty little lake, but I'd trade it in for the big mountains any day (except the days now, when I have a safe job and pension).

Old 11-01-2009, 10:31 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,333,354 times
I love the dry warm climate here on the western slope. My first winter here after moving from 7 years in northern WY, it was a mild one, I kept asking "when does winter start?"

I don't especially miss the ocean, even though I grew up in a seaside town (Ipswich). I went back to visit last year and it was fun seeing the North Shore and visiting friends there, but I wanted to get back to Colorado. There were lots of trees and I couldn't see the whole sky in New England. I like seeing far horizons and in Colorado and watching the sky.

I'm also a geologist and the rocks are pretty awesome here.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:08 PM

56 posts, read 147,393 times
The worst thing for us about MA is a combination of traffic and cost of living, the fact that it is impossible for us to find a suburb (good schools, low crime) 20-30min from Boston (where most bigger companies are located) where you will not get stuck in traffic on your commute. It is probably possible if you are rich enough – we are just not.
In terms of I-25: when I check the traffic conditions, it looks like I-25 is awful north of Denver but it looks good south of Denver (I have checked consistently and from several news stations)- is this right?. It seems in general like the traffic from North and north-west is pretty terrible – is that right? (would not be surprised with 4 freeways merging at close to the same location).
How is it with I-470 – who is typically using this freeway – it is very expensive – it seems like the road grid of the “surface roads” is very adequate and I-470 is mostly to get around the city or to the airport?.

I know that neighborhoods like Highlands Ranch, and other cities, are very uniform and it looks like the lots are very small , but prices are also close to half of “similar” houses in a town 15-20 miles from Boston with good schools (ex: Lexington).
Are there towns/cities with more character and bigger lots (0.3+acre) and still good schools and low crime?
We have thought about the ocean and we will miss it – no doubt- but right now we are missing each other as a family because we have 3 hour commute each and every day – we will give the ocean less priority .

Are there other business centers like DTC around where companies tend to gather?

In terms of nature; Does anyone know if you pay for visiting the regional and state parks?

Brightdoglover, it was just highly unexpected to come across your input on the Colorado forum when we know you from the MA forum – but your input is always welcome.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,324 times
I'm wondering if AMPL did in fact move to the Colorado area and if so, how is everything? I currently live in Franklin, Ma but am moving to the Denver area in the beginning of July. So I'd love to know how things are for you. Thanks.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:19 PM

Had a long talk the other night with a dear elderly friend from Montrose and she (although retired) keeps an eye on the local economy. Says the unemployment rate is close to 12 percent and has been so. Oddly, her son, who lives in Ridgway/Ouray, has never been busier- he and a guy who seems to know everyone in town are painting houses, and have more work than they could ever handle. I guess it's the upper end and lower ends that are hurting, as has been said before.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:23 PM

8 posts, read 10,581 times
Default From Boston to Colorado

Hi - I may be transferring to Golden without any visit first. I hear the cost of living is better but not by much so Im not sure if its even worth going. Can someone pls tell me if or what is cheaper than the east coast?

Old 10-15-2013, 07:27 PM

6,902 posts, read 6,489,921 times
So is cost of living your only concern? If so there are plenty of cost of living calculators online.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:33 PM

8 posts, read 10,581 times
yes as the salary may be lateral. i know the rents are cheaper but what abt other costs? car ins, food, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or