U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 05:01 AM

8 posts, read 26,950 times

Advertisements

My husband passed away last week and I will be relocating to CO with my son and daughter-in-law. They were in the middle of moving when my husband died, and so now I am going to be moving with them.

The problem is that we now live in Kennesaw GA and the cost of housing here is low when compared to the cost of housing anywhere in CO. I am having sticker shock!

Does anyone know of a house for sale or rent in the Leadville CO area? My daughter-in-law has a job at the hospital in Sumitt County. I understand that most working class people live in the Leadville area, so that is where I am looking.

We need something with a basement and at least two bathrooms. Do you know of an auction, a foreclosure, something for rent reasonably, or for sale with a reasonable price? We don't mind something that needs work!

Any advice from CO residents?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 06:07 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,809,871 times
My suggestion is you contact a local realtor. Leadville is a small mining town and housing is at a premium up there at 10,000+ feet. Everything must be shipped in, there is no growing season so everything is expensive.

I also suggest you visit there before moving, many get altitude sickness at that hight, the winters are very long and you will need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to live up there.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:45 AM

8 posts, read 26,950 times
My son and daughter-in-law did visit there and both really loved it.

We are already looking at 4 wheel drive vehicles, plan on buying one here in Atlanta on the cheap, and driving it to CO. Vehicles like that don't sell for a premium here in Atlanta and do in CO.

Unfortunately we are going to have to live somewhere in that area because my daughter-in-law already has a job at the Summitt hospital and the only way for her to get to work is to live somewhere near there, somewhere cheap hopefully!

Thanks for any help! Hoping to find something through a private individual rather than an agency, might save on the fee that way.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:16 AM

11,044 posts, read 12,392,322 times
Checked Craigslist:

5/4 1800 sq ft home 2 car garage (http://westslope.craigslist.org/apa/1431841986.html - broken link)

Single Family Home (http://westslope.craigslist.org/apa/1433750341.html - broken link)

Colorado will hit you with registration fees on that out of state car you're buying though. Take it easy the first month or so at that altitude. I moved to 7,000 ft from Arkansas and the altitude kicked my butt for the first 3 weeks or so.

Enjoy having no humidity!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 PM

5 posts, read 11,252 times
Miakoda, remember almost every buyer does not pay a brokers fee when you purchase a home that is listed in the mls, which means the seller agrees to pay a buyers realtors fees. If you decide to work with a Realtor and that Realtor would like you to sign a contract detailing your working relationship between the two of you they will address that fee. 1) That Realtor may discuss with you their desire to earn a specific commission amount when a seller does Not offer to pay the desired amount of commission. This means the seller is paying a buyers Realtors' commission but not in the amount the buyers Realtor wishes to earn. What do you do? You decide if you want to pay the Realtors desired commission amount or walk if both of you are unable to come to an agreement that is satisfactory to both of you. 2) You may decide to buy a home that Is Not listed in the mls (maybe a for sale by owner) and the seller has decided Not to pay any of the buyers Realtor fees. Your Realtor will discuss a contract detailing your working relationship between the two of you with you addressing the Realtors earned wages agreement. What do you do? You decide if you want to pay the Realtors desired commission amount or walk if both of you are unable to come to an agreement that is satisfactory to the both of you. Realtors do not receive an income if a commission agreement is not established thru either the seller or the buyer. It is within the real estate industry standards to ask for earned wages when asked to work and these are the processes which it is done. There are a few more varieties which to earn a commission and that is a discussion you should have with your real estate professional. Make sure have a discussion about the kind of services you expect and what the Realtor provides. Meet with a Realtor, bring you list of questions on a pieced of paper and have a discussion. Know what it is both of you expect from each other. When you are done ask yourself if this Realtor can provide the type of business relationship you wanted to have when you walked in the door. If you have unanswered questions, ask some more. You are the decision making adult, what you decide Is the right decision. I think you'd love Leadville, I do.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:26 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,174,512 times
IMO, the 30 mile commute from Leadville to Frisco will get old pretty quickly ... especially in the winter months ... for your daughter.

You might want to look at housing closer to Frisco, not in the resort towns ... but maybe within a short distance North of Frisco.

Leadville isn't an inexpensive place to live, even if you get a deal on the cost of housing. It's remote and isolated, and has a small population base to support what little retail it has ... which means higher prices per any item. With the on again/off again economy of the mining industry in the area, this has not been a stable economic area for many years ... although the owners of the Climax mine say they're going to re-open it again soon. We'll see ... it's just as easy for them to decide that it's not a good time to open the mine again, or keep it operating for long.

I'd urge you to visit the area in the depths of winter ... Feb/March ... before making any decision about relocating to Leadville. Summertime pretty is not what you'll find there for many months of the year because the winters are fairly long at altitude.

Folk use Leadville as a bedroom community of more reasonable cost than living in the tourist/ski resort areas in the surrounding counties. I think for many that it's a false sense of savings ... when you factor in the costs and time of their commutes and the expenses of living in Leadville. Unless you are a real outdoorsy person, Leadville doesn't have much to do, either.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:29 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,420,129 times
I would agree with the previous poster, in that you should look closer to the Frisco/Dillon area. I lived in Fairplay, CO (also a bedroom community to Summit Co.) for almost 4 years and my husband commuted over to Breckenridge for two winters. It sucked! The only reason we stayed in Fairplay was because I worked there year round and my hubby worked there in the summer, so it was our community. It wouldn't be worth it to me to live there if I had no reason other than employment. If you, or your son-in-law are also looking for employment, chances are slim on finding anything in Leadville. I would also highly suggest renting for the first year or two anyhow. Life is far different in the Colorado mountains, than most anywhere else, especially Georgia. You have visited, and it's beautiful, but that beauty comes at a price. Long, cold winters, no chance of growing a garden, high cost of living, etc. all take a toll. Don't lock yourself into a mortgage until you know you are happy there.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:45 PM

463 posts, read 978,240 times
Sweet baby Jesus, for the love of God, if you HAVE to live there make sure you rent first!!!! You'll probably want to leave after the first winter so don't tie yourself down by buying into that mess. Here is the link to The Herald Democrat, which is Leadville's newspaper. Check out the real estate for rent classifieds. And may God have mercy on your soul. You will be in my prayers tonight...

Leadville Herald Democrat (http://leadvilleherald.com/Search.asp?SectionID=7&Class=1&thesearch=1 - broken link)

Old 07-01-2011, 09:27 PM

633 posts, read 890,249 times
Folks... this thread is from October 2009. The OP hasn't posted again.
Curious as to why "Deb Bauer" dug it up in the first place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado