U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:32 AM

5,658 posts, read 9,391,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Wolverine View Post
However we certainly won't miss the 25% unemployment rate, the generous $362/wk un-employment benefit, the six months of virtually no sun and the hour commute I had to work prior to being layed off and of course the hapless Detroit Lions.
Well, instead of no sun, it's the opposite here. Almost every single day of the year is nothing but sun. Just make sure you understand this and feel you would like it.

Quote:
We love most outdoor activities so I can't think of a better place to move to then Grand Junction
Pretty good. My personal feeling is it would be better if it were closer to mountains. There's hiking trails in and around Junction, but it's desert hiking, meaning lack of trees and shade. For me, desert hiking is okay, but I personally prefer hiking in old growth spruce and pine forests.

Quote:
although I must admit I had no idea the place existed until I got a call from a recruiter about a month ago telling me a firm in Grand Junction wanted to talk to me.
There's a company here in town called Rocky Mountain Health Plans. Nobody had heard of them (or Grand Junction) until they started making national and international news last year for their health care model. Then suddenly we're on the map.

Quote:
Anyway if anyone can give some advice on schools and housing it would be appreciated.
I can give you housing advice.

(1)There are two areas that are rich/expensive: the Redlands and north Grand Junction (north of Horizon drive along 26 road.) These are large, mostly newer, nice homes with yards. This is a quiet area, wide open with lots of land (some people have horses and mini farms.)

(2) There are several middle class subdivisions with nice homes. Several are located along Patterson between 15th and 31 road. These are quiet nicely kept areas. Most of them are HOAs with strict rules about what you can keep in your driveway. A lot of folks living in these homes are the higher-paid petroleum workers and their families.

(3) The old nice homes which are also fairly expensive are downtown by Main street and Gunnison and over off 6th street by the hospital. These homes are about 100 years old Victorian. Being an older neighborhood, the streets are tree lined. Plenty of stuff available to rent.

(4) South of Patterson (between 15th and 31 road) are older subdivisions. A bit more run down, a bit cheaper.

(5) The cheapest areas to live are Clifton and Orchard Mesa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 05:46 PM

610 posts, read 2,746,063 times
What is the employment outlook for GJ right now? Would it be relatively easy to find a part time job doing work like waiting tables or cleaning?

Old 01-24-2010, 07:02 PM

5,658 posts, read 9,391,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
What is the employment outlook for GJ right now? Would it be relatively easy to find a part time job doing work like waiting tables or cleaning?
Last I heard (a couple months ago), it was impossible to get jobs like these. People were telling me that places were just flat not hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado