U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-03-2009, 12:23 PM
 
5 posts, read 8,210 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello all,

Where is the best place to find good skiing accommodation in Colorado, for a solo traveller?

Some ideas on the best resorts for a good holiday skier would be good to.

Good snow and good nightlife...?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2009, 02:13 PM
 
11,256 posts, read 43,094,284 times
Reputation: 14897
This whole forum could be devoted to answering your general question ... so many posters here have their "favorite best" places to ski and for the nightlife and recreation.

I think your best approach would be to check out the "deals" available on-line for the traveling skier ... take your pick, there's the Summit County ski areas, Vail and Beaver Creek, Aspen, Telluride, Steamboat Springs .... all have their respective charms, strengths, activities.

If price and the "best deal" is your parameter, you can hardly go wrong with any of them at a promo price you can afford. My bet is that this year is going to shape up with some great snow and skiing throughout the Colorado resorts, and with the recent economic slow-down, there will be a lot of promo's out there to attract folks to come on out to ski and enjoy the activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2009, 02:31 PM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,505,062 times
Reputation: 7596
If budget is no concern, Vail is #1.

If you are more a conservative, traditional, business oriented person, then Vail and Beaver Creek are great places with all the amenities. It has the most skiable terrain of any resort and usually has the best snow. Plenty to do at night.

If you are more a superficial, hollywood, funky, showy person, then Aspen is a great place as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2009, 02:54 PM
 
2,437 posts, read 7,261,075 times
Reputation: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
If budget is no concern, Vail is #1.

If you are more a conservative, traditional, business oriented person, then Vail and Beaver Creek are great places with all the amenities. It has the most skiable terrain of any resort and usually has the best snow. Plenty to do at night.

If you are more a superficial, hollywood, funky, showy person, then Aspen is a great place as well.
Vail is so NOT #1. It's just as bad as Aspen. They're both what Jazz would refer to as cartoon versions of CO mtn. towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2009, 03:08 PM
 
11,256 posts, read 43,094,284 times
Reputation: 14897
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Vail is so NOT #1. It's just as bad as Aspen. They're both what Jazz would refer to as cartoon versions of CO mtn. towns.
Geez, treed ... the OP wasn't coming out to live there, they just wanted a place to come to have good skiing and night life and recreation for a "good deal". In my opinion, and that of many other folk ... Vail offers a lot of skiing and entertainment for the money. With "promo" package deals, it can wind up costing no more than a lot of Summit County ski areas for lodging and lift tickets and ski gear rental (and, for some folks, even transportation packages to get there).

So, instead of trashing the place ... why don't you "talk up" the places that you prefer as "the best deal". Tell the OP why _______ is the "best deal" for them ....

And, knowing the threads on this forum for the last few years, I'll bet JazzL can speak for himself ... although I don't recall him being a skier and has frequently voiced his dismay over any of the resort developments in the Colorado area, including summit county, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2009, 05:45 PM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,505,062 times
Reputation: 7596
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Vail is so NOT #1. It's just as bad as Aspen. They're both what Jazz would refer to as cartoon versions of CO mtn. towns.
Vail has been voted #1 ski resort in North America and having traveled and worked in many I would concur.

Vail is the largest in terms of skiable terrain and diversity of skiing. You could ski for a week and not see everything.

There is also a large amount of nightlife and good restaurants to eat at and plenty of shopping choices for ski equipment. Much of the lodging on offer is also good.

2009 Vail Valley Dining Guide

As long as you avoid Christmas and Presidents Day, especially this year, if you do your research you can get a decent deal.

Also you have to keep things in perspective. It's a ski town and it's for skiing.

Living in all these places is another deal altogether.

Having lived in Vail for 7 years and also having worked in summit county, aspen and steamboat, Vail is my pick. I don't want to live there again or in the Colorado mountains unless I am a mega millionaire but I do enjoy visiting and enjoyed my week out there last month. I'll probably go again this winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2009, 08:25 AM
 
229 posts, read 670,298 times
Reputation: 249
If your budget isn't that high, there are a few hostels/bunks around that might have other solo travellers. I believe there is one in Crested Butte, one in Breckenridge, and possibly one in Dillon.

If you do summit county, Breckenridge probably has one of the better tourist nightlifes in that area.

Vail has good nightlife and on average seems to get a little more snow than the resorts in summit county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2009, 11:17 AM
 
2,437 posts, read 7,261,075 times
Reputation: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Geez, treed ... the OP wasn't coming out to live there, they just wanted a place to come to have good skiing and night life and recreation for a "good deal". In my opinion, and that of many other folk ... Vail offers a lot of skiing and entertainment for the money. With "promo" package deals, it can wind up costing no more than a lot of Summit County ski areas for lodging and lift tickets and ski gear rental (and, for some folks, even transportation packages to get there).

So, instead of trashing the place ... why don't you "talk up" the places that you prefer as "the best deal". Tell the OP why _______ is the "best deal" for them ....

And, knowing the threads on this forum for the last few years, I'll bet JazzL can speak for himself ... although I don't recall him being a skier and has frequently voiced his dismay over any of the resort developments in the Colorado area, including summit county, for example.
Asserting that Vail is not #1 is a far cry from trashing it. I don't think calling it cartoony is all that slanderous either.

IMO Vail, Aspen and Breck are all overly hyped and hoity-toity. I've already sent a list of places I prefer directly to the OP, in order to avoid having to argue my every preference with all of the vail-lovers, but I see they've already found a way to do that anyways.

Vail is mainly for people who, you know, like Vail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top