U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,456 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Southern California for 35 years in the Inland Empire it is hot and dry. I am tired of the rat race and want to move My husband is a police officer I am a sign language interpreter for the deaf. He has an opportunity to transefer to Colorado Springs , but it looks like it's colder that other places in colorado. I hear Grand junction and Canon are warmer is that true? How far to Co Springs are these places. We want horse property and have 3 small children HELPPP what's the best place???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 PM

20,829 posts, read 39,036,090 times
Compared to COLO SPGS, Canon City is a bit warmer in the summer, you'd need to check the stats on Grand Junction, but IIRC it's warmer in summer too. As far as COLO SPGS being colder, it can be a bit colder in winter than Denver or Pueblo, etc, but its nowhere near as cold as those towns in the high country ski areas.

I think any of the named towns would be good choices. If he can get a job here with our PD, why not try it....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:52 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,447,847 times
Grand Junstion is much warmer, probably not too much cooler than where you are. As far as distance Colorado Springs to grand Junction? about 5 hours in the summer. You have to cross the Rockies completely

Old 11-03-2009, 11:01 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,934,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Grand Junstion is much warmer, probably not too much cooler than where you are.
That's true in the summer (it's hotter than where you are), but it gets cold and stays cold in the winter when cold air settles into the valley and doesn't go away for a week or two. When that happens, air pollution goes through the roof and the smoke stings your eyes while you're driving into town.

Other times it gets cold enough for fog to form from the river, and then it freezes as soon as the wet air touches trees and ground that are well below freezing. It's beautiful seeing the trees that way, but deadly to drive on.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:26 AM

5,676 posts, read 9,413,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutcarm View Post
I have lived in Southern California for 35 years in the Inland Empire it is hot and dry. I am tired of the rat race and want to move My husband is a police officer I am a sign language interpreter for the deaf. He has an opportunity to transefer to Colorado Springs , but it looks like it's colder that other places in colorado. I hear Grand junction and Canon are warmer is that true? How far to Co Springs are these places. We want horse property and have 3 small children HELPPP what's the best place???
Yes Grand Junction is warmer with very little snowfall in the winter compared to the front range. Grand Junction is 300 miles to Colorado Springs.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:32 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,832,501 times
Grand Junction has summer high temps about the same as the inland empire, but the hot season in Grand Junction is a few months shorter. EG: when you guys were having temps in the 90s a day or two ago, the high temp in GJ was in the low 60s. Winters in Grand Junction are much colder than winters in the inland empire, and the temperature inversions mentioned by sterlinggirl occur frequently. When that happens, it is colder in Grand Junction than in the high country....but there is no wind and it is usually sunny. Not much snow at all, but two inches of snow can stay on the ground for several weeks when we get caught in a temperature inversion. Fortunately it melts off the roads as soon as the sun comes out. If you don't like the cold, the front range will suit you better. The chinook winds frequently blow in off the Rockies to warm things up and evaporate a foot of snow overnite.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 11-04-2009 at 11:40 AM..

Old 11-04-2009, 03:05 PM

302 posts, read 773,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutcarm View Post
OMG if you have the transfer opportunity take it. I'm so envious. You could easily Mapquest the distance from Colo Springs to those places, but I can tell you Colo Springs to Grand Junction is a ways; Grand Junction I think is on the edge of the state and Colo Springs near the middle southern part.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,456 times
THankyou all for your insight. It's a tough decision My mom is my neighbor that will be hard to leave!! we'll see how it plays out though. P.s. dumb question i'm sure but what's the front range?

Old 11-04-2009, 04:46 PM

5,676 posts, read 9,413,880 times
Front Range = towns and cities along I-25 along the eastern side of the Rocky mountains. Pueblo. Colorado Springs, Denver, Longmont.

Western Slope = towns and cities along the western side of the rocky mountains. Montrose, Delta, Grand Junction.

There's no way you could live in Junction and commute to Colo Springs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado