U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:48 PM

12 posts, read 26,183 times

Advertisements

OK. My wife and I have for some time wanted the little spot in Colorado for a cabin. We searched and nevor could find anything we could afford. So we ran an add in the paper tellin who we were and what we needed. After weeding through the fee starved realtors we came across an old guy that we became friends with and he wants to sell us a portion of his property,
low down , low monthly.. 5 acres. We agreed with one another ,. I went ahead and gave him the down and have sent payments every month ,, Well, its been 4 months, the ole guy does not have the money to pay 2500 bux for a survey and + more for a real estate attorney..
but we have a mutual agree ment as friends for this 5 acres portion of his 20 acres. I totally trust this ole guy and we are close friends .. niether of us can afford the out right crazy survey , and real estate fees ,..,. What can we do .
We want to build somthing on this property ,, but not without paperwork I am not,,
We need some help ..
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 07:53 PM

4,857 posts, read 9,586,952 times
What's the zoning on the property? Is five acres a legal lot? Why would you want to build on property that you don't even own; wouldn't that be like giving this ole guy a free house that you have no legal claim to?

Old 11-03-2009, 07:55 PM

hehehe yeah like giving him a cabin ,, Well he owns a 30 acres parcel, zoned BAC back country ..
And we are eye balling a 5 acres section of it,, dadgum survey co want 2500 ,, we cant afford that..

Bound to be a poorboys version of buying a small section of property, heck the cabin wont cost as much as the paper work on the prop would,,,

Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,686,077 times
Yes the market in Chaffee county is in the crapper. About 1/2 of the "realtors" have become "inactive". The hey-days of selling real estate in rural CO is over. And probably will be for a long time. Last winter the full time ones were taking out loans just to live off.
I bet Salida has hundreds of people with a real estate license. Never, never send any $ with out a written agreement. If its not on paper is does not exist. A $2,500 survey sounds about right. Heck, it cost us $5k to close on our house in 2007.
Have you considered what it will cost to drill a well ($25 / foot) and to run electricity ($1,500) and septic field? Chaffee is littered with huge boulders. The neighborhood next to me had 2 30 ton boulders they had to dig up to put in a foundation. Expensive to put septic, well and lots of places you have to spend $$$$ if you want to have a basement = blasting out these huge rocks. Bring a ton of $ if you want to live in rural CO. RP

Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,739,484 times
It is illegal to subdivide a parcel in Colorado into anything less than 35 acres without going through the county subdivision process. Unless the parcel has a pre-existing legal description (prior to 1972) that describes the parcel you wish to acquire, it would amount to an "illegal property split." Any reputable surveyor also knows this, and that may be why the owner has not been able to get it surveyed. You very well may be paying for something for which you can not get legal title--unless the property goes through the subdivision process--which can be both time consuming and expensive. Then there are septic requirements and the issue if you can get domestic water. I would STRONGLY suggest that you talk to the Chaffee County planning people and probably an attorney.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:44 PM

well ,We do have a written agreement,, its just not legal , registered or attached to a legal survey,, , damn, Yeah the Chaffee county sub divide process is another problem,, its almost been made imposible for anyone to have the american dream of a small cabin,,
On the water well issue,, we are going to carry water in by a 250 gl tank,, from our home in texas if the law requires is,, the cabin will have no plumbing ,, thats what the RV is for,.,. and we pay 15 bux t dump at the near buy rv park,, Also electic we are using a 24v solar system and a small wind generator.. foundation ,, yeah ive heard the big rock nightmares, I would just bolt a plate to it , weld a bracket and move on,,
the County has way to many wierd O restrictions,,
One being min of 600 SQ FT dwelling, well,, we have down sized and dont need that much room,
Must have water well permite, we are not drilling one,,
Must have electric permit,, m, cant find the 24 v solar wind code,,
Must have plumbing ,, have hey never heard of an RV ??
its freaking ridiculous ,, Any way ,,
Sugestions for poor people needed !!!!!!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 12:55 PM

4,857 posts, read 9,586,952 times
Well, Mr. Barker, you seem to be intent on squatting on property you don't own, and not having any of the basics that we uppity people in Colorado require for a dwelling unit, so I'm not sure why you are posting here in the first place. We actually have rules in Colorado to protect the consumer, so maybe Colorado's not for you.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:08 PM

maybe I made it sound like this was to live in,.. Sorry for that,,
Those Basics your talking about that we Dont have..
24 v solar ,, wind energy ,, its called "green Living" "Environmentally friendly living" its the uh newest thing.. .....

We are only going to be at this cabin .. 6- 8 weeks a year.. and only for 2 weeks at a time..
so no need for plumbing, ,, or elctric , or septic, or 600 sq ft..
sort of a week end summer only cabin.. We will stay in on our way to and from Wyoming to visit family ..
That word we used, dwelling,, its more of a storage/ utility building we are constructing. Just so happens it looks a lot like a cabin on 2 sides..
And about the squating.....and uppity,... we aint 60 hippies.. we are americans with the same mountain cabin dream that 100000's of people have,.. only we are trying to pursue it !
only to see why so many people are not able to do it,, "freakO laws."
our state has most of the same building code laws as yours,
I used to live in Colorado,. My wife in Wyoming and I love the mountain air. and have the UTMOST respect for the Colorado environment..
squatting is what all those people at Cagans camp were doing every year.. All the rafting guides and whatnot.

Last edited by mrbarker; 11-04-2009 at 01:24 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 07:15 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,686,077 times
We have enought second "home" owners here in CO. Jump through the hoops. Follow the code or go back to Texas. It's there for a reason. RP

Last edited by proveick; 11-04-2009 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: to short

Old 11-04-2009, 09:45 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,928,695 times
If all you want to do is to put a shed/cabin on the land, you don't need to own it. Change your purchase agreement to a long term lease, and use a lawyer to make sure that the lease will survive him selling the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or