U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:46 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,690,109 times

Advertisements

I must live in the wrong area of town Eric. I have met many friendly people here in my first month. Haven't seen an oddly detached either. What do they look like? RP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 01:19 PM

68 posts, read 106,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
I must live in the wrong area of town Eric. I have met many friendly people here in my first month. Haven't seen an oddly detached either. What do they look like? RP
What I meant when I said that I thought that alot of folks here were "oddly detached" was that alot of folks here seem cold and unfriendly towards newcomers. Now, let me say this before I go any further. Back home in the south, we ALSO have alot of transplanted folks and as long as they were friendly and courteous towards me I didn't treat them any differently than I would have a native when I lived there. Here in Colorado, however, its a different story. Where I used to work I had a native who used to say "you're just a dumb redneck from TN". Well, this dumb redneck from TN just so happens to carry a 3.8 GPA in college and will be transferring to a four year university after next semester. Not, only that, but the ladies here are totally backwards. I have tried innumberable times to make eye contact with women that I encounter at school here in the hopes of starting conversation, but it simply doesn't get me anywhere. You would think that they were thinking to themselves "I might melt if I smile or make eye contact with that guy". Now, some people have stated that this may be because the aforesaid ladies already have boyfriends and if that's the case then that's fine. The sad part about that is the fact that 99% of the women here act that way so that must mean that they ALL have husbands or boyfriends. I truly feel sorry for any nice, friendly, single guy that moves to this city and is not a native. Its not like that in TN, NC, GA, or TX etc. In short, I am not going to waste any more of my life or time in this city and will be moving to Austin, TX in the middle of next year. And yes, I will be sure not to let the door hit me in the *** on the way out.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:26 PM

5,676 posts, read 9,415,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
Iseem to spend their time and money "going for the burn" or " climbing every mountain" or "never giving in to old age" or "going for another degree." I label them over achievers and over the top.
I agree that a lot of Coloradoans are overachievers with respect to their outdoors activities. But for other pursuits (education and work), when compared with East Coasters I would not use that label.

Quote:
no one rides a bike for the fun.....must go 60 miles or the ride doesn't count.
You can blame this type of mentality on the yuppies. An absolutely ridiculous mentality.

Quote:
I have met too many moms playing Bach for the unborn baby and teaching Japanese to the baby within six months of the birth. All of these things are good
"Good?" I disagree. I think it's ridiculous.

Quote:
I work part time, volunteer at a museum and a farm, hike, camp, travel, etc. I find Colorado a hard place to live. If economic times change I will move to a more traditional way of live state.....Missouri, Texas??
[/quote]

I think you'd find Grand Junction (where I'm at) the traditional way of life that you're used to. The culture out here is: more family oriented, down to earth people, very few yuppies....

Old 11-05-2009, 02:26 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,267,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric81 View Post
What I meant when I said that I thought that alot of folks here were "oddly detached" was that alot of folks here seem cold and unfriendly towards newcomers. Now, let me say this before I go any further. Back home in the south, we ALSO have alot of transplanted folks and as long as they were friendly and courteous towards me I didn't treat them any differently than I would have a native when I lived there. Here in Colorado, however, its a different story. Where I used to work I had a native who used to say "you're just a dumb redneck from TN". Well, this dumb redneck from TN just so happens to carry a 3.8 GPA in college and will be transferring to a four year university after next semester. Not, only that, but the ladies here are totally backwards. I have tried innumberable times to make eye contact with women that I encounter at school here in the hopes of starting conversation, but it simply doesn't get me anywhere. You would think that they were thinking to themselves "I might melt if I smile or make eye contact with that guy". Now, some people have stated that this may be because the aforesaid ladies already have boyfriends and if that's the case then that's fine. The sad part about that is the fact that 99% of the women here act that way so that must mean that they ALL have husbands or boyfriends. I truly feel sorry for any nice, friendly, single guy that moves to this city and is not a native. Its not like that in TN, NC, GA, or TX etc. In short, I am not going to waste any more of my life or time in this city and will be moving to Austin, TX in the middle of next year. And yes, I will be sure not to let the door hit me in the *** on the way out.
It sounds like you're trying too hard Eric, especially when trying to stare women down on campus. Maybe Austin will work better for you, but I can't really say since I haven't been there. One thing's for sure though: You've beaten to death the fact that you have repeatedly struck out here in COS. Maybe it's time to get over it?

Last edited by treedonkey; 11-05-2009 at 02:59 PM..

Old 11-05-2009, 02:29 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,900,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric81 View Post
We run in different circles ; the 99% and 'backwards" you state is utter B***S***. I am telling you Eric, you are looking in the wrong places and perhaps putting out the wrong vibe.

Gah, I should just skip by your comments because they do nothing but boil my blood. Your view of C Springs and Colorado in general is extremely narrow and that attitude wont net you finding people for the time remaining here to enjoy. It is about attitude much of the time.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:01 PM

87 posts, read 217,776 times
Eric - have you lived other places and found that you had better luck getting dates? Not to sound critical, but it's a little hard for me to believe that there are no single women in your area interested in dating. From my experience, college is an excellent place to meet someone. Maybe it's your technique. I mean all that staring/trying to make eye contact - perhaps that is perceived as a bit creepy (as in, ewwwww - why does that guy keep staring at me?) If I were you, I'd dispense with "trying to make eye contact," and just strike up a conversation. Just my (female) opinion.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,504,055 times
I can't believe all of the negative comments about Colorado! I moved here from California 6 years ago and I've never met so many friendly, happy people. I never once encountered an anti-Californian attitude here like they have in places like Seattle. Most of the people living here love it and it translates into their attitude. The ONLY place I've really encountered many of those annoying, narcissistic people mentioned is in Boulder. And, even there, the place is so beautiful, it's worth it if you just ignore them. Trust me, you'll love it here.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:49 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,018,462 times
Wink But why?

Down to earth isn't the way I think of most people in Colorado. But you might guess my priorities, since I don't live in Kansas, and that term might better apply there. Generally, and I'll leave the nuances to the experts, you'll probably find the citizens of Colorado as sociable or not as you are.

There has to be another reason, and chances are you are drawn to the topography. The mountains have a lot to recommend them, there is a fair amount of open space, and a rather pleasant climate as well. All of which comes at a certain price; if the cost of living index is your primary concern then you might do better elsewhere. If life is more to you than fiscal realities, and you like it here, then it may well be worth it.

Sometimes there can be no accounting for why someone happens to love the overcast and drizzle of Seattle, WA, while another couldn't be more pleased baking in Phoenix, AZ. I've read of instances where they sometimes moved from one to the other, remaining content in their new home, or just as quickly returned, miserable until they could. Colorado falls into the same category, with it at last a very personal decision why one here, or not halfway around the world on some South Pacific beach.

While that might seem self-evident, it will help if you define more closely what you are looking for in a new home, whether in people, mountains, or something other. And in what order. Home is at last where we make it, but first the question of why we might want to. It doesn't hurt, along the way, to do a little on the ground reconnaissance, either.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:35 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,739,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
I have lived in at least six other states and have retired to Colorado because my grandchildren are here. This is my second time to live in the State.

I find the people not as friendly as other areas. The children seem to be better educated. The adults are not "beautiful" people but seem to spend their time and money "going for the burn" or " climbing every mountain" or "never giving in to old age" or "going for another degree." I label them over achievers and over the top. I see very little quality time spent with the family unit....fathers are playing soccer at age 45; children are being taught by tutors; moms are going back to school for doctor's degrees; church are not filled with families; no one walks....only jogs; no one rides a bike for the fun.....must go 60 miles or the ride doesn't count. I have met too many moms playing Bach for the unborn baby and teaching Japanese to the baby within six months of the birth. All of these things are good but I have looked hard for simply pleasures, slower paced lives, listening to your neighbor or your child.

I work part time, volunteer at a museum and a farm, hike, camp, travel, etc. I find Colorado a hard place to live. If economic times change I will move to a more traditional way of live state.....Missouri, Texas??
This is an interesting comment. Personally, I love that my husband still plays soccer on Saturday afternoons at the park. It keeps him in shape, and it's a great way for him to make friends with other men his age. I was a child in the 60's and 70's, and my father played softball (he was really good!). It didn't detract from our family time. We all went to the park and cheered on his team, just like my kids do for their father. They're very proud of him. I swim to keep in shape. Although I usually go by myself very early in the morning, we often pack up our gym bags and head for the pool as a family on Sunday afternoon. While I do my laps, they swim with me or play in another part of the pool with their dad. After I'm done, we play water basketball, race down the slide, or float in the lazy river. It's a really lovely way to spend time together, and I'm grateful to live in a place with such beautiful rec centers where we can be active year-round.

As far as continuing education, my father finished his Master's degree while I was in elementary school. My mother worked full-time as a nurse, pursued her Master's degree, and started her own business when I was in high school. They still found time to coach, organize, carpool, and cheer for us as we tried our hands at sports, music, and other activities. We are doing the same for our kids, as are the other families who live in our neighborhood. I think continuing to learn and grow sets a good example for children. Learning doesn't stop just because one has a Bachelor's degree. Colorado offers many opportunities for motivated people to pursue their educational dreams.

Believe it or not, Coloradans do not necessarily live in cars. Our neighborhood is full of mothers who walk together (to the grocery, to the bookstore, to the coffee shop, to the park), and the playground after school is full of parents who hang out while the kids play. And, we definitely ride our bikes for pleasure! Sometimes it's just a short jaunt, but if we're motivated, the bike path that rings Denver is just a short distance from our house. My eighty-year-old grandfather lives in one of those traditional midwest states you speak of so fondly. Weekends find him out with his sisters and brothers for a 30-to-50 mile ride on the bike path that bisects his city. He's still fit as a fiddle because he works hard to remain healthy and active.

Furthermore, if a child needs a little extra tutoring to keep up with school like mine did, thank goodness the help is available. It made a huge difference. There are few things more stressful for a child than falling behind in school. Parents who provide tutoring for their children are hardly a Colorado phenomenon.

Finally, as I was a music minor in college, you'd better believe that classical music is a fixture in our household. I absolutely listened to Bach when I was pregnant, and if the sound traveled through the uterine wall, well, maybe that's why my kids appreciate classical music today. Right now, our dinner music is the Orchestral Works by Vaughn Williams. We listen to it while we prepare and eat our meals. My second grade son is partial to English Folk Songs and can hum along perfectly. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?

I'm struggling to understand your aversion to remaining active, educated, and engaged into mid-life and beyond, especially since it would seem that you are also very active in your Colorado community. This is a great place to pursue a healthy lifestyle both as individuals and as families. That's a really wonderful thing! It's a good life here in the Centennial State!

Last edited by formercalifornian; 11-06-2009 at 11:59 AM..

Old 11-06-2009, 10:59 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,834,005 times
Lastfire wrote:
I see very little quality time spent with the family unit....Perhaps you might see it if you opened your eyes and/or broadened your concept of quality time.

fathers are playing soccer at age 45; Would you rather have a 45 year old father being a typical out-of-shape, beer bellied couch potatoe and drive up the cost of health care for those of us who choose to be active?

children are being taught by tutors; Tutors are people too! Would you rather see them being educated by the leader of a gang?

moms are going back to school for doctor's degrees; Would you prefer they get a job at walmart instead?

church are not filled with families; Why can't singles go to church too?

no one walks....only jogs; Over here in Grand junction and everywhere else I've ever been in Colorado, the vast majority of people walk rather than jog. Joggers are a small minority!

no one rides a bike for the fun.....must go 60 miles or the ride doesn't count. How do you know that the people taking 60 mile bicycle rides are not having fun? I would venture a guess that they must be having some fun or they wouldn't keep doing it.

I have met too many moms playing Bach for the unborn baby and teaching Japanese to the baby within six months of the birth. Would you rather they play Born To Be Wild and teach them Mandarin instead?

All of these things are good but I have looked hard for simply pleasures, slower paced lives, listening to your neighbor or your child. Perhaps you would be happier if you stopped looking and started doing. You can do it!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 11-06-2009 at 11:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or