U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:13 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,739,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
While that might seem self-evident, it will help if you define more closely what you are looking for in a new home, whether in people, mountains, or something other. And in what order. Home is at last where we make it, but first the question of why we might want to. It doesn't hurt, along the way, to do a little on the ground reconnaissance, either.
Very good advice. I made a poor choice of neighborhood when I first moved to Colorado. It was a very bad two years, which you'll see if you read some of my early posts. (I was a bit of a whiner!) Fortunately, the house was a rental, which gave my spouse and I time to investigate communities before making a permanent commitment. Now that we're fully settled into a neighborhood we love, I couldn't be happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 11:28 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
no one rides a bike for the fun.....must go 60 miles or the ride doesn't count. How do you know that the people taking 60 mile bicycle rides are not having fun? I would venture a guess that they must be having some fun or they wouldn't keep doing it.
And I would add to that... how do you know they're riding for 60 miles? Are you following them in your car or what?

Besides, I went on a 50-mile mtn. bike ride last summer and ALMOST ALL of my other friends were amazed that I was inclined to ride that far. So I'd hardly say that EVERYONE thinks of a 60-mile ride as a pre-requisite for fun.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:40 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,081,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric81 View Post
I have tried innumberable times to make eye contact with women that I encounter at school here in the hopes of starting conversation, but it simply doesn't get me anywhere.
Eric, Eric, Eric...Let's reason together. There are 6 billion people on this planet, more than half of whom are women. Even if you made up your mind to avoid all contact with women you wouldn't succeed. Women are in no way rare or difficult to find. Take heart and keep cool. Things will work out for you.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:51 AM

14,489 posts, read 22,337,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I'm a native.
So straight up, you're not even qualified to answer the OPs thread... but yet you do.

To the OP. Find a killer job here first, move here, and be quiet about the native/transplant thing. Just enjoy life. If you moved here from Chicago or Florida or whatever, I'd say it would be a good move for you. But you'll miss some things. If you do not find a killer job, don't move here unless you're independently wealthy. Times are tough here too... for some.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:08 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Find a killer job here first... If you do not find a killer job, don't move here...
Indeed, you can't go wrong with one of those 'killer' jobs, but perhaps a 'shredding' or 'wicked' one would do as well, especially if' it's the 'hella' variety of either of those. But I'd forget about the 'rad' job market for now, at least until unemployment drops below 10% again.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:09 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,739,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Indeed, you can't go wrong with one of those 'killer' jobs, but perhaps a 'shredding' or 'wicked' one would do as well, especially if' it's the 'hella' variety of either of those. But I'd forget about the 'rad' job market for now, at least until unemployment drops below 10% again.
I'm feeling old now.

As far as unemployment goes, Colorado is currently sitting at about 7%, which is dramatically lower than the 10.2% national rate reported this morning. I'm not qualified to make any predictions about where it will go from here (is anybody really?), but I think it's a good sign that we're trending lower than the rest of the country. On a somewhat personal note, my spouse's company (IT) isn't currently hiring, but they're very busy and have been for the entire downturn. As for many companies, there was a salary freeze this year, but the sales organization met and exceeded expectations. There is no indication that the work is going to dry up anytime soon. Bonuses are still arriving and have been fairly generous this year.

Like several others have indicated, I don't think this is a good time to relocate without a job offer unless you have ample savings or unusual skills/experience that would make you a highly desirable employee. However, Colorado has turned out to be a great place for my family, and perhaps it will be for you, too, if you're willing to take a chance on it.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 11-06-2009 at 01:57 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 02:05 PM

35 posts, read 110,015 times
WOW, I asked for it and I got it, an abundance of replies, and thank you all for your honesty, and bluntness. I am a firefighter/paramedic, I am not a wealthy individual by any means, I have three wonderful children, and my wife stays home. I am working on finishing my Bachlors degree, and I also am an educator in a state colleger for Paramedics. I looked at Portland Oregon, New Mexico, and now Colorado. I want a community that is appreciate art, I want a community that engages one as the years go by, I want my children to have other examples, other than myself and my wife to dedication to lifelong learning, Peter Drucker, the father of modern management theory, returned and earned his MBA in his later fifties, learning and personal devolpment is truly a life long process. I find here in Florida, that we are God's waiting room, older people come her to pass the time, the native people are threatened by education, and fight it with every bone in his or her body. Thanks again.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:52 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
bgcty1, you will do well here.

we came here from the DC area, love it here, the low humidity, few bugs, great climate, year round things to see and do, arts, culture, educational opportunities, good people

fear not. job is big hurdle. check expense levels here for housing, all else should be in the ball park for you. rent a year before buying.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:35 PM

11,049 posts, read 12,394,760 times
^ what he said.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:19 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,935,316 times
Whatever you do, don't admit to being a FIB. Some Wisconsinites have been moving here, and they'll run you out of town with pitchforks if they find out you came from Chicago.

Colorado natives won't mind you too much. We save our pitchforks for Texans and Californians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or