U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:48 PM

118 posts, read 276,413 times

Advertisements

I don’t have much time at the moment, but let me briefly add my two cents…

My wife, daughter and I moved to CO (Durango) just a little over 6 weeks ago. In short, we feel like we couldn’t have received a warmer welcome anywhere.

Compared to the Northeast, the people here on average (natives and transplants alike) seem infinitely more down to earth and friendly. Most people who know us would consider my wife and I to be generally outgoing. But despite the fact that we were New England natives, it was always a challenge to meet nice new people back east. The attitude that seemed to come with the wealthy, suburban NYC population was generally overbearing. We lived in our last home for 5 years and didn't even know our neighbors.

In contrast, we’ve met more people here in six weeks than we did in the last 5 years. I already feel like part of the community. And despite the fact that, yes, the “typical” Durangan is ridiculously fit, and I get my butt kicked on every group bike ride I’ve done, every single person has been hugely encouraging and without a trace of attitude. (this is not to mention the fact that after six weeks here I/we probably get an invitation to do a ride, hike, have dinner etc. 3-4 times a week.)

I can’t see how anyone could ask for a more welcoming population of friendly, well-educated people. And the scenery and brewpubs don’t stink either.

on edit: I just wanted to add - i don't believe that there is any magic or something in the water here that gives everyone a great personality. in my opinion, it's largely due to the fact that this isn't necessarily an easy place to live...you're probably not likely to find yourself living in Durango by accident (or because of a job transfer). and as a result, almost across the board the people we have met, from neighbors to the guy at the coffee shop, are genuinely happy and feel fortunate to be here. and that changes everything...

Last edited by jchasse; 11-10-2009 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: add text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 02:09 PM

137 posts, read 415,740 times
We have been absolutely shocked at how nice everyone is. It is sad that we are shocked by that but wow-- this is a completely different planet than where we just moved from. We love, love, love it. We are thrilled our kids will get to grow up in an environment we thought was long gone!

Old 11-10-2009, 02:24 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,826,387 times
jchasse wrote:
almost across the board the people we have met, from neighbors to the guy at the coffee shop, are genuinely happy and feel fortunate to be here. and that changes everything...
You bring up an important consideration. I think most of the stay-out-of-my-state sentiment is expressed by people who are disconnected from the rich blessing bestowed upon them by their good fortune of living in Colorado. Lacking awareness of how good they have it, gratitude for their blessing is a foreign concept. Not having a sense of gratitude to focus upon, leaves their minds with too much time to focus on all of the problems they perceive. And of course it is pure human nature to avoid responsibility for the perceived problems and blame them on someone else. It's a surefire strategy for never having to change and mature spiritually.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:48 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,897,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^^That's a wonderful post! There is an anti-westerner conversation going on over on the Pittsburgh forum right now. I have half a notion to repost this over there.
Katiana - feel free to quote me if you'd like. I'm glad that it is something that could be used elsewhere on these boards. I really do believe what I wrote. The grass can always be greener but sometimes it's best to turn that soil and plant something else if the grass aint working for you.

Seriously, if all we do is focus on the negatives, it puts us in places we don't want to be...it (my negative thinking) took me to alcohol rehab where I realized how my general outlook on life was destroying me. I may not be alcohol for a lot of people, it may not even be a substance or other form of destruction like gambling, overeating or whatever; a poor outlook just weighs on people and makes them no fun to be around. So many of my internet buddies notice a HUGE difference in me as well as other friends and family. It wasn't the alcohol that was my problem, it was how I saw life.

I don't go to any of the other sub-forums here but occasionally I will venture over to the non-city/state/country related ones. But go ahead and quote it or rewrite it for your own purposes.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:11 PM

86,853 posts, read 102,200,934 times
^^^Thanks. They're still dissing Californians there (Pgh). I'll see how it plays out.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:11 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,688,572 times
This is such a nice post in these trying times. We need encouragement and positive issues to dwell on rather than the crap in the "news" = propaganda. RP

Old 12-08-2009, 02:01 PM

34 posts, read 96,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchasse View Post
I don’t have much time at the moment, but let me briefly add my two cents…

My wife, daughter and I moved to CO (Durango) just a little over 6 weeks ago. In short, we feel like we couldn’t have received a warmer welcome anywhere.

Compared to the Northeast, the people here on average (natives and transplants alike) seem infinitely more down to earth and friendly. Most people who know us would consider my wife and I to be generally outgoing. But despite the fact that we were New England natives, it was always a challenge to meet nice new people back east. The attitude that seemed to come with the wealthy, suburban NYC population was generally overbearing. We lived in our last home for 5 years and didn't even know our neighbors.

In contrast, we’ve met more people here in six weeks than we did in the last 5 years. I already feel like part of the community. And despite the fact that, yes, the “typical” Durangan is ridiculously fit, and I get my butt kicked on every group bike ride I’ve done, every single person has been hugely encouraging and without a trace of attitude. (this is not to mention the fact that after six weeks here I/we probably get an invitation to do a ride, hike, have dinner etc. 3-4 times a week.)

I can’t see how anyone could ask for a more welcoming population of friendly, well-educated people. And the scenery and brewpubs don’t stink either.

on edit: I just wanted to add - i don't believe that there is any magic or something in the water here that gives everyone a great personality. in my opinion, it's largely due to the fact that this isn't necessarily an easy place to live...you're probably not likely to find yourself living in Durango by accident (or because of a job transfer). and as a result, almost across the board the people we have met, from neighbors to the guy at the coffee shop, are genuinely happy and feel fortunate to be here. and that changes everything...
I couldn't agree with you anymore! I am a native of Colorado and I personally don't like living here! I don't believe my sadness about staying here has anything to do with the many things that Colorado does or does not offer, it is just a personal struggle I hope to alleviate soon. On that token, I will always recommend Colorado to people because I know it CAN and DOES provide great joy to people.
Those who choose to complain about Colorado are those who have been forced to move here for one reason or another and I bet their unhappiness is more internally than externally. A place is only as good as you make it.
For the most part, Colorado is well educated, physically fit, nature loving, and proud. If that fits your mold for a place to call home then come on over because for transplant ready to move in, there will be a native like me ready to spread my wings.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:10 AM

279 posts, read 598,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The mountains are great, but--as the saying goes--you can't eat the scenery.
Well, I can. To wake up every morning and look out the window, the woods in my back yard, the wildlife, the wilderness, not being able to see a neighbour, is just "heaven on earth". I could never see myself living in a city or the suburbs every again, that would be "hell on earth" for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
the "us vs. them" thing is very real.
I'm a transplant (and proud of it) and found the people extremely friendly, even to the point of being "over friendly". Not once have I come across the "us vs. them" thing.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:33 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,826,387 times
jazzlover wrote:
you can't eat the scenery
Some of it you can. Actually, there is quite a variety of edible plants scattered here and there in all of that fabulous Colorado mountain scenery. I bet you yourself have eaten many a wild strawberry over the years.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 510 times
This is why the natives dont like transplants......

Rent is now 580$ more expensive than it was 3 1/2 years ago. I am in the same apartment, unit, with no changes whatsoever.

Natives typically drive the speed limit. The gap i leave between my car and yours is for safety. So you dont throw rocks and debris at my paint. Not for you to ram you vehicle in there and claim ME FIRST! Weaving traffic, cutting people off is something you see from larger states where you have to assert yourself to survive.

Transplants move here from more burdened areas and dont realize what they are doing to affect people here. They think, " oh this is so much better than sitting in traffic in LA on the 405," or "wow i sure can afford a home out here!" Granted the move is understandably justified on your part, to escape whatever it is that was bothering you about your "home" states. It comes back to the obvious. All of the reasons you have moved away from are now becoming an issue for Colorado natives. Everybody comes here with a negative outlook on where they came from and think, "stop complaining, it inst so bad! Its way worse in NY,TX,CA...etc Thats because you dont know what its like to not live here with hundreds of thousands of people all moving here withing several years.

Cost of rent has almost doubled in 5 years is forcing natives out
The commute to work was 20 minutes, Now it is an hour
Many are taking jobs, not creating them
You bring your politics, rudeness and entitlement from Proven failing states and apply the same concepts here and wonder why people arent open to your ideas, or force them on others.

So from a native prospective, Besides being able to possibly meet more people due to population increase, the influx of out of towners has been nothing but negative from my opinion.

What i want is for a Transplant to come up with FACTUAL evidence to prove in what ways have you guys benefited Colorado by moving here. The move here was great for you and your family undoubtedly, Nobody else. So dont be surprised when somebody knocks on your for being out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or