U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:10 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,739,753 times

Advertisements

I get where you're coming from Thinkin' because while I appreciate the mountains and the forces that created them, they don't make me swoon either. It helps if you are proficient at winter sports or hiking/backpacking, but even then it's no guarantee.
Personally, I'm partial to the ocean. And despite what Steve wrote earlier, owning a Speedo does not qualify one to swim, surf, or waterski. Just like downhill skiing and hiking, each takes talent, physical fitness, and practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:03 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,177,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
I just completed a short trip to the mountains mid-state. It was pretty breathtaking visually on the whole, I admit that. But after like 15 minutes, my girlfriend and I were thinking "now what?" What are we missing in our personalities or perspectives that doesn't allow for us to appreciate the mountains in the way many of you do? I hope you can take me at my word in my sincerity here; I'm not bad-mouthing the mountains or Colorado. I just don't get it, and would like to.

For example, the ocean is also stunningly beautiful, but it allows for activities beyond looking at it. Fishing, boating, water skiing, hitting the pier, surfing, etc. Mountains, from what I can tell, you just kinda look at-then, well, I dunno? I guess you can walk through them and take pictures?

What am I missing? What do the mountains do for you? Thanks for sharing.
The mountains are my Cathedral...I connect with my maker in a way that I never experience in a building.
Hiking up to an Alpine lake and being alone to reflect on life...Ascending to a mountain top, exploring an old mine or searching for semi precious stones constantly reminds me of how difficult life was here 100 years ago that gives me an appreciation of how fortunate I am to be alive in these times..in these mountains..
The mountains keep me healthy and fit and the people I meet in them are usually in the same condition..
Primarily, I enjoy the isolation, the euphonious blend of wind and silence that cannot be duplicated at a beach resort filled with obese malaperts...
The Rockies for me? ..Nirvana...!

Amen

Old 11-08-2009, 10:40 AM

13,291 posts, read 25,455,947 times
The sight and experience of mountains always fills me with awe, and a real feeling of humbleness in the size and strength and beauty of nature. I also feel the absolute indifference of it to me- that the mountains stand and I must accommodate them if I'm to survive. I also am in awe of geologic time, how they've stood (and rise and fall) over millions of years, again, indifferent to the little facts of daily human life. (I do not have a god concept that makes people the center of anything. I just realize that we somehow have brains that perform abstraction and can contemplate ourselves).
I appreciate that the ocean, stars, every natural thing large and small can have the same effect on people. For me, it's mountains and I do also love the eroded red rock views for the same reasons.
Now, I grew up in south Jersey, the world's largest sandbar. Nothing to look at. I did enjoy the ocean when I went there, but it somehow just didn't have the same effect on me that mountains do.
My eye just wants to see them, near or far. I do like horseback riding up into mountains. I never tire of interesting geology.
I currently live an hour or so from the ocean, and never go. It's just not my thing, even though I do like the sight of light on water.
It's not about activity for me, it's about sight and thought.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:07 AM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
... oceans & mountains ... very similar ... both pretty .... both unaffordable ... both have issues (hurricanes, tsunamis, forest fires).

... pick your poison ... pay dearly for it ... its all good ...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:46 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,564,288 times
as Chaffee and brightdoglover say, that's the same that i feel. on the flip side, the ocean does nothing for me.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:51 PM

14,489 posts, read 22,337,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
For example, the ocean is also stunningly beautiful, but it allows for activities beyond looking at it. Fishing, boating, water skiing, hitting the pier, surfing, etc. Mountains, from what I can tell, you just kinda look at-then, well, I dunno? I guess you can walk through them and take pictures?
Fishing, boating, water skiing, hitting the...pierrie, surfing...er snowboarding and snow skiing, etc... walking through them, taking pictures...rafting and kayaking...spelunking...boinking...

Old 11-08-2009, 05:59 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,869,308 times
I've lived within 5 miles of the ocean my entire life and only see it a handful of times a year. So the ocean really doesn't do anything for me. At least in Colorado, you don't have to be rich to at least see the mountains every day.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:00 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,612,834 times
I don't visit the mountains every weekend, but I like to camp, hike, do winter stuff like snowmobiling (renting), take my Jeep off road (on designated trails, of course), see scenery that isn't accessible from the road, and then afterward stop in a mountain town for coffee or some food. I really enjoy the vibe in most of the mountain towns and would love, someday, to have a job that would allow me to telecommute and live anywhere..and afford it. Not that Denver is bad, of course.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:14 PM

830 posts, read 2,357,073 times
I grew up in a coastal town. The ocean is certainly nice, but it's not my real thing.

Now I live in a high desert mountain town. I love mountains. I like to look at them. I like to check when the snow appears on the peaks, when it disappears. I like to hike them. I like to look out over all the rest of the world from the top of one. In the heat of the summer I like to go up a few thousand feet and feel the temperature drop progressively. I like the trees, the alpine lakes, the marmots. I like to see those plants, wildflowers, and trees that grow beyond all odds, poking out from between rocks where it looks impossible. I don't ski, snowboard, or any of that.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:22 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,310,512 times
I like the idea that I can be in shorts on a warm spring day and I look to the west and see snow-capped peaks rising up on the horizon. Personally, I'd get siock living in the mountains, but I love to have them on the horizon or to be on them looking out for miles and miles. It just gives you a refreshing and rejuvenating feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado