U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:02 PM

302 posts, read 772,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Spud View Post
Mountains are like a big comfortable blanket. They wrap around and envelope you. They hide you, they protect you, they offer an eagle's eye view when you want to peek out from underneath. Until you've spent the night listening to the thunder bounce off the canyon walls or smelled the sage after a rain, you've been missing something truly special, and being at 14,000 feet without an airplane? Well, that's something that's too hard to describe. It really has to be experienced. I've been to the oceans and listened to the boringness (Hey! My own word!) of the surf and I've been places where, I swear, you could see the whole state from one spot - I was even told that was God's country - and I can't imagine being without my blanket.
That sounds wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 04:22 PM

11 posts, read 20,157 times
one word : parks.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:28 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,821,260 times
At one time in my life, the ocean did it for me, then I got tired of it and found the mountains more my cup of tea. But in recent years, the Red Rock Canyons ignite a brighter fire in me than the ocean or the mountains. Different strokes for different folks...at different times in their lives. It is my great good fortune to live just a half mile from a BLM trailhead with a trail leading into the red rock canyons. I go walking there just about every day. The red rock desert canyon country is my cathedral. Walking there heals my spirit after 8 mind numbing hours in a building, sitting in front of a computer screen. A few years ago, when I lived just 3 miles from the beaches of the Chesapeake bay, I rarely ever felt drawn to go to the beach after the same mind numbing routine during the work day. I'm sure my ambivalence about the beach had something to do with having to get into the car again to get there, whereas here I'm so close to the trailhead that I walk right out my front door and leave my car in the garage.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 11-09-2009 at 04:45 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 04:39 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,261,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
At one time in my life, the ocean did it for me, then I got tired of it and found the mountains more my cup of tea. But in recent years, the Red Rock Canyons ignite a brighter fire in me than the ocean or the mountains. Different strokes for different folks...at different times in their lives.
Agree 100%

Same for me. I grew up on what was, to me, one of the world's greatest beaches, but I'm pretty much over it now. It's not even that much fun to visit that place anymore.

The other great thing about mountains is that you can usually get pretty far into them and/or pretty high upon them without needing any elaborate equipment.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:51 PM

38,690 posts, read 88,909,975 times
Y'all can keep your mountains and your oceans. I'm all about the Wisconsin Northwoods.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:57 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,821,260 times
I forgot to mention that the Alaska northwoods appealed to my sense of wonderment for a short period of time, but one winter was all I neeed to get tired of the short daylight hours in the winter.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:06 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,261,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Y'all can keep your mountains and your oceans. I'm all about the Wisconsin Northwoods.
Thanks for the good news.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:04 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,932,690 times
hiking, mountain biking, rafting, skiing, taking an off road trail to a remote spot, a meal and a walk in a quaint mt town...

Old 11-09-2009, 07:09 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,932,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinDi59 View Post
I think you're a beach person. I have a sister like that (we have zero in common).

I prefer the mountains. We fish, hike, sightsee. I never get bored of Colorado. i would pay money to be excused from the beach.
that's what I thought when I read the OP. Before moving to CO we spent a week in San Diego. It was nice and all, but that is when we decided we are mountain people, not beach people.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:46 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,011,779 times
Wink Yourself

I forget who it was, but when asked why he climbed mountains the classic reply was: 'Because they are there.' You may get no better answer than that.

I would be curious where you hiked and to what extent venturing into true wilderness. In such places the spirit of nature can be distinctly felt. As if in another realm, and one's relation to this world takes on a new and different meaning. The same is true in any wild place, whether on or near the ocean or elsewhere. Even within a concrete urban jungle, but more difficult and one must be discerning. But if you've ever noticed, it is within mountains that people become lost, or lose themselves, or indeed found.

For some the first hint of the Rocky Mountains on the horizon in coming across the plains quickens the blood. You may not be one of them, and your question valid if having journeyed well within them, looking up and still feeling nothing. They may not be for you, as many another by then would only wish to further explore this new love.

But before you decide you might travel to some secluded, quiet and beautiful place, and listen. You might at last hear another aspect of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado