U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:52 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,213,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
There is nothing more exhilirating than to place the first footprint in newfallen snow...or to ski down a mountain and let the wind hit your cheeks and make 'em all pink.....the air is crisp...the snow is clean....fresh.....sparkly in the sun....pristine......and water if you are thirsty!
Obviously, you have never sat on the beach at sunset breathing in the warm, salt breeze. Pity.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 08:15 AM

146 posts, read 292,904 times
I have spent many mornings sitting on my board just after sunrise off the coast of Folly Beach. I love it.

But nothing beats summiting your first 14er, skinning up a new peak and skiing fresh pow for 4000 uninterrupted vertical feet, or enjoying a lazy summer afternoon enjoying the wild flowers in Crested Butte before you hit up some great single track.

It's OK, it doesn't need to be a heated contest, both are great. But you really need to experience it. Walking around Estes Park isn't going to cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Obviously, you have never sat on the beach at sunset breathing in the warm, salt breeze. Pity.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-19-2009, 10:42 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,258,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other1 View Post
I have spent many mornings sitting on my board just after sunrise off the coast of Folly Beach. I love it.

But nothing beats summiting your first 14er, skinning up a new peak and skiing fresh pow for 4000 uninterrupted vertical feet, or enjoying a lazy summer afternoon enjoying the wild flowers in Crested Butte before you hit up some great single track.

It's OK, it doesn't need to be a heated contest, both are great. But you really need to experience it. Walking around Estes Park isn't going to cut it.
From the sound of her handle and the tone of her previous posts, I get the feeling that Branson has a hard time getting herself up a flight of stairs, much less to the summit of a 14er. I really don't mean that as an attack, and if I'm wrong, please correct me. The mountains are not for everyone and if you have a hard time really getting up into them then, yeah, they might seem pretty boring, since they tend to move no faster than a fraction of an inch per year.

I agree that it does not have one or another. I grew up on the beach and loved it. Now I love living on the edge of the mountains in an entirely different, but oddly parallel, way.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:07 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,213,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
From the sound of her handle and the tone of her previous posts, I get the feeling that Branson has a hard time getting herself up a flight of stairs, much less to the summit of a 14er. I really don't mean that as an attack, and if I'm wrong, please correct me. The mountains are not for everyone and if you have a hard time really getting up into them then, yeah, they might seem pretty boring, since they tend to move no faster than a fraction of an inch per year.

I agree that it does not have one or another. I grew up on the beach and loved it. Now I love living on the edge of the mountains in an entirely different, but oddly parallel, way.
I have not hiked a mountain lately but when I lived in Durango back in the day, I acquiesced to see what all the excitement was about. It was *not* a 14er, by the way, but it was a respectable hike, nevertheless. I just did not care for it one bit. First of all, I am not an outdoor person by nature. When I was a child being sent outdoors was a punishment! But the hike, the mountains, etc., did nothing for me. Sorry. It's boring and just no fun.

I am a person who likes to sit on the beach with a couple of cold beers and listen to the waves, watch the seagulls, enjoy the warm, relaxing feeling of the sun on my skin. Even catching a snooze if I am so inclined. I was raised that when you are doing something and your heart starts pounding, you sit down. I do not find any enjoyment at all in "working up a sweat" like many outdoor enthusiasts do.

So maybe it is just a question of what we consider to be fun. To me, recreation=relaxation, not a workout. I realize that other people have different values, and that's cool. But to me Colorado and the mountains were not fun, and not even particularly interesting to look at. Perhaps the OP is of the same mindset, I don't know. Diff'rent strokes.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-19-2009, 01:37 PM

13,262 posts, read 25,405,201 times
My hiking days are behind me ( a crush injury to lower back- will never carry a backpack again or walk/be upright long distances) but I like the relaxtion Branson describes, but while looking at the mountains. Just how my mind relaxes and stretches to their size and distances.
I have lost interest in the ocean after years in New England (no surf!) and bizarre nightmares of rogue waves and tsunami. When I grew up in south Jersey, besides being an hour's drive and a way to cut school, there was surf. Lots of development along the beaches, but surf, with that wonderful sound (and warmer water than rocky, sullen New England with its harbors).
As they say, different strokes. Leaves more mountains for me and more ocean for others.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:17 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,814,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy WJ View Post
I don't think it's either/or (mountains/ocean). Colorado has the highest number of scuba divers per capita despite being landlocked. Scuba divers have a love for the ocean (or they wouldn't be out there exploring it all over the world). I agree it's certainly a calling.....but not the kind of calling you may think. It's a calling for peace, beauty, nature, silence.
According to the Rocky Mountain News, Colorado is #6 in the nation, but it does not surprise me to hear that there are many scuba divers there. Obviously these Coloradans love the water, and seek it.
My husband got certified in Denver, but of course he was bitten by the diving bug in the sea, far away from Colorado.
I agree that the calling is for peace, beauty, nature and the reflection that can only come from silence.
I also agree that it does not have to be either/or, but for us, a couple weeks of ocean a year was not enough, and because of that and other reasons, we chose to leave.
There are all kinds of natural beauty to experience. One is not better than the other.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:36 AM

401 posts, read 776,277 times
I heavily agree. Getting away our every day life routines is good for the body and soul. Take the time to enjoy the beauty of the nation.
It is almost like a home-remedy for the blues. try it and I guarantee it will work. Just got to give it a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Ever hear of Mtn. Biking, Trail Running, Whitewater Boating, Jeeping, Hunting, Mountaineering, Paragliding, Snow Boarding, Downhill Skiing, Apline Skiing or Canoeing? These are some of the many activities that people do in the mountains, besides just looking at them from a car or on an easy nature trail

To me, being in the Mountains is more about solitude than anything else. I am the type of person who NEEDS some quality time to meditate and get away from people and the overall pressures of life. The best way I've found to do that is to go hiking and/or running through the nearby hills here. I would not trade that in for anything in this world. If you're the type of person who prefers con stant stimulation, then perhaps a crowded beach area is better suited for you.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:37 AM

401 posts, read 776,277 times
I can see your point.
Out great nation has many beautiful places to enjoy.
And only you will know what suits you best.

Have a good day all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
According to the Rocky Mountain News, Colorado is #6 in the nation, but it does not surprise me to hear that there are many scuba divers there. Obviously these Coloradans love the water, and seek it.
My husband got certified in Denver, but of course he was bitten by the diving bug in the sea, far away from Colorado.
I agree that the calling is for peace, beauty, nature and the reflection that can only come from silence.
I also agree that it does not have to be either/or, but for us, a couple weeks of ocean a year was not enough, and because of that and other reasons, we chose to leave.
There are all kinds of natural beauty to experience. One is not better than the other.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:51 AM

13,262 posts, read 25,405,201 times
Saw some white-topped mountains in a documentary about the Blackfeet Indians on PBS. Thrilled to the sight of that particular kind of mountain. It's just something chemical.
I think most people enjoy the sight of beauty in nature. Just some sights hit some of us stronger and for different reasons, who knows why? I just hope those sights continue/are protected so we can enjoy their timeless beauty.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 AM

363 posts, read 1,021,607 times
If you have to ask, you probably won't "get it" even with explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado