U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2009, 11:34 AM

434 posts, read 612,379 times

Advertisements

Some of you may have remembered I posted before about a drive through Colorado; still planning to do it, but the plan has changed. We'd like to spend a few days in the ski towns(Breckenridge, Vail, etc). Due to when everybody is able to take off work, it's been bumped to a few days over New Years. The hotels in Breckenridge are mostly booked, and not to mention expensive.

I've been helping research, found a hotel in Silverthorne which is $189 a night and right off the expressway. However we don't mind staying farther out of the way to save an extra hundred bucks a night, and they'd also like to see some scenery. We would probably not be spending much time in Leadville, unless there is some stuff to do around town; but from what I've gathered it's mostly an old mining town(?)

How is 24 & 91 in the winter from Leadville to 70? Does it get closed in snowstorms? Any advice on the town or other places to stay would be appreciated. I'm also wondering about preparation considering it's 2 miles from sea level, and we're coming from the flat Midwest. Any extra precautions or things to do to prepare for the high elevation, aside from take your time with things, stay hydrated, no alcohol, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 12:19 PM

3,022 posts, read 4,987,109 times
Well the drive from Leadville to I-70 is difficult even in the summer for many folks, especially if you're not used to mountain driving. Add in a winter snowstorm and you just might be spending your vacation in Leadville. The holidays in ski towns are going to be a little more difficult to find accomodations (and expensive and you are seeing), but have you tried looking at other overnight accomodations, such as condos/houses/etc? You may get more bang for your buck that way. Also look into towns that are along I-70, but not necessarily in the resort areas, such as Idaho Springs or Eagle. If you do decide to stay further away, I would recommend looking at vacation rental homes in Fairplay or Alma, both of which are closer to Breckenridge than Leadville. Hoosier Pass along Hwy. 9 is always open and plowed pretty well.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:38 PM

434 posts, read 612,379 times
Actually, looking for vacation rentals completely skipped my mind. Aside from Craigslist, are there any good sites to look at?

Old 11-08-2009, 06:24 PM

8,322 posts, read 22,481,894 times
Unless you've got a specific reason to see Leadville, it's a long way off from the ski resort areas you've mentioned you want to see. You'd be spending a lot of your time commuting if you returned to Leadville each day. Other than seeing a small older residential mining community that doesn't have much for tourist activity during the winter months, there's not much to see in Leadville, which has been hard hit with the shut down of the mines in the area over the last decade or so.

Finding "deals" now in the tourist resort areas is going to be tough as the resorts try to get booked out at the highest rates possible. Depending upon the economics of the tourist biz this year, some may ... and some may not ... get booked up. I think your best option for a "deal" is going to be to wait until the last minute and see what price reductions show up. Sites like "Vail on Sale" are a good place to check for discounted accomodations at the last minute; keep in mind that the property owners have a very perishable commodity and a prime vacation time vacancy is a total loss to them.

Just about anyplace with ready access to the ski resorts will be "expensive" when you're talking about Christmas and New Year's, and many will have a minimum number of days stay during that time frame. On a per-room basis, the best deals will show up on condo's that have multiple bedrooms for all of your group to stay together compared to hotels/motels. Even the places that aren't real close to ski areas but in the mountains will still be "expensive" because there's a huge demand for places just to get away in the hills. This is a traditional time for many families to get together, and a prime personal use time which takes many properties off the rental market, too.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Unless you've got a specific reason to see Leadville, it's a long way off from the ski resort areas you've mentioned you want to see. You'd be spending a lot of your time commuting if you returned to Leadville each day. Other than seeing a small older residential mining community that doesn't have much for tourist activity during the winter months, there's not much to see in Leadville, which has been hard hit with the shut down of the mines in the area over the last decade or so.

Finding "deals" now in the tourist resort areas is going to be tough as the resorts try to get booked out at the highest rates possible. Depending upon the economics of the tourist biz this year, some may ... and some may not ... get booked up. I think your best option for a "deal" is going to be to wait until the last minute and see what price reductions show up. Sites like "Vail on Sale" are a good place to check for discounted accomodations at the last minute; keep in mind that the property owners have a very perishable commodity and a prime vacation time vacancy is a total loss to them.

Just about anyplace with ready access to the ski resorts will be "expensive" when you're talking about Christmas and New Year's, and many will have a minimum number of days stay during that time frame. On a per-room basis, the best deals will show up on condo's that have multiple bedrooms for all of your group to stay together compared to hotels/motels. Even the places that aren't real close to ski areas but in the mountains will still be "expensive" because there's a huge demand for places just to get away in the hills. This is a traditional time for many families to get together, and a prime personal use time which takes many properties off the rental market, too.
Good advice. I would google vacation home rentals Breckenridge / Silverthorne / Frisco / Dillon / Vail etc and see what you can come up with. You might also consider booking the hotel you found and then canceling within the cancelation period just to ensure you have something if need be. I don't know what the hotel policies are in the resort towns over the holidays, but usually most only require 24 hours notice.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:07 PM

9,718 posts, read 12,466,920 times
One way to find property rentals is to talk to the various property management agencies around there.

I always recommend condos/homes over hotels. It's my preference when traveling around the world and it's what we did when I returned to Vail last month. We rented a big house for 7 people and the cost came in lower than a hotel plus we had all the amenities of a house.

There isn't a whole lot happening in Leadville, especially in winter. Plus you add in the commute which can be nasty if the weather is bad and the very high altitude and I really don't think you'll save much in the end, nor will it enhance your vacation.

Having been a veteran in the tourist biz there I can tell you the busiest time is Christmas and New Years and one of the slowest weeks of the winter starts the first monday after New Years(whatever day that may be). If you go that week you can probably get a really good deal. Otherwise you are basically screwed and all you can do is suck up the extra cost. Christmas/New Years is prime time and the prices reflect that.

However I hear from friends this year is looking bleak for business so I suspect there is going to be wheeling and dealing to get people out there. There are often last minute deals that pop up but don't count on it. But if there is going to be any bargain year this will probably be the one.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Having been a veteran in the tourist biz there I can tell you the busiest time is Christmas and New Years and one of the slowest weeks of the winter starts the first monday after New Years(whatever day that may be). If you go that week you can probably get a really good deal. Otherwise you are basically screwed and all you can do is suck up the extra cost. Christmas/New Years is prime time and the prices reflect that.
Not to mention the fact that everything is extremely busy and crowded. If you enjoy waiting in hour plus lines at the lifts, than New Years is great. If, on the other hand, you actually want to get some skiing in, the week after would be a much better option.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:17 AM

5 posts, read 5,865 times
Post Slope to Slope Leadville Winter Travel

Winter travel in the ski elevations near Breckenridge, Copper, Leadville and Vail all remain similar since they receive the same weather storms, we are all that close together.
The state roads department winter equipment can actually be what I call a "winter management force" for about a full 5 months. They are fantastic! The road which become closed most often is I-70. When winter pushes the roads to their optimum and travelers begins to thicken this is when the funk begins to happen. Drivers become impatient slowing their speed for the weather conditions and winter driving skills may not be at their optimum if visiting from areas that do not deal with mountain area winter conditions on a regular basis.
Don't leave home without it... Skiing is a sport, the slopes reach their peak capacities around 12,000 elevation. Little outdoor chairs take you to the highest ski-lift points so you can stand you on your skies as you traverse all the way down to take the ski-lift back again. Being that you are in charge of you, dress well and hydrate every day that you are in the elevations and conditions that skiing brings.
From Leadville you can reach 6 ski resorts within 45 min. From Leadville to I-70 your drive can be 20 min to 30 min to your 1st and 2nd ski areas. In Leadville, a 7 min drive to Ski Cooper your 1st ski slopes, 20 min - 25 min on Hwy 91 to Copper Ski Resort is your 2nd ski slopes. Hwy 91 is a daily commute Hwy and systematically maintained by plows 24-7. The Climax mine is a working mine receiving expensive out sourced materials on a daily basis. I have not experienced Hwy 91 closed.
Often when reaching I-70 & Hwy 91 @ Copper Ski Resort, I-70 is closed to accidents due to unskilled winter drivers. No time lost, the new days schedule at Copper Ski resort is right there for a full day of skiing.
From I-70 & Hwy 91 you can head West to Vail for 20 min - 30 at you're 3rd ski slopes. From I-70 & Hwy 91 heading East 10 min to the Frisco exit taking you to Breckenridge for another 25 min you reach your 4th ski slopes. From I-70 and Hwy 91 east about 20 min to the Silverthorne exit that intersection is the 20 min route on Keystone your 5th ski slopes and yet 20 min past them to A-Basin your 6th ski slopes.
The Leadville drive in any direction is breathe taking. Leadville morning coffee shops host food for travel if your watching the clock & dark roast caffeine brews. Leadville Ski shops open early for daily rentals and the day is on!
Visit The Leadville Chamber of Commerce website for a list of hotels and other vacation stay services, I've been told Leadville is the affordable choice of vacation stays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
Some of you may have remembered I posted before about a drive through Colorado; still planning to do it, but the plan has changed. We'd like to spend a few days in the ski towns(Breckenridge, Vail, etc). Due to when everybody is able to take off work, it's been bumped to a few days over New Years. The hotels in Breckenridge are mostly booked, and not to mention expensive.

I've been helping research, found a hotel in Silverthorne which is $189 a night and right off the expressway. However we don't mind staying farther out of the way to save an extra hundred bucks a night, and they'd also like to see some scenery. We would probably not be spending much time in Leadville, unless there is some stuff to do around town; but from what I've gathered it's mostly an old mining town(?)

How is 24 & 91 in the winter from Leadville to 70? Does it get closed in snowstorms? Any advice on the town or other places to stay would be appreciated. I'm also wondering about preparation considering it's 2 miles from sea level, and we're coming from the flat Midwest. Any extra precautions or things to do to prepare for the high elevation, aside from take your time with things, stay hydrated, no alcohol, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado