U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,612 times

Advertisements

Hey all you Colorado experts. I'm looking for a small town near the Ute reservation that has some fairly expensive homes. Something that is surrounded by wilderness and is within maybe 30 miles of the reservation. Anyone have any suggestions for an interesting town like this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 09:25 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,757,283 times
Durango.

Of course, it takes more than some cursory research to write a good novel (I am a published author, among other things). I always admired Tony Hillerman's work--his books set on the various reservations of New Mexico were impeccably researched. Of course, he lived in New Mexico, and spent about a HALF-CENTURY rattling around in the region of which he wrote. Go do that here, and then you can probably write a credible novel that an old-line Coloradan can read and say, "Yeah, that is the way it is." Until then, it's just more pulp fiction.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:26 AM

147 posts, read 559,870 times
Pagosa Springs is another option; smaller than Durango, close to the Ute reservation, quite a few expensive homes, and surrounded by some outstanding wilderness.

Tony Hillerman passed away about a year ago. He was very well-respected down here in the Four Corners area by people both on and off the reservations. He was definitely an author that “walked the talk.”

Old 11-09-2009, 11:28 AM

4,866 posts, read 9,600,682 times
Too bad about Tony Hillerman passing. I always enjoyed reading his books, and assumed (hoped) that his protrayals of the native peoples was accurate.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 AM

5,676 posts, read 9,402,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Durango.

Of course, it takes more than some cursory research to write a good novel (I am a published author, among other things). I always admired Tony Hillerman's work--his books set on the various reservations of New Mexico were impeccably researched. Of course, he lived in New Mexico, and spent about a HALF-CENTURY rattling around in the region of which he wrote.
John Nichols.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:59 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,992,477 times
Just curious - why does this place need to have "expensive homes"? Is the premise of your story perhaps that some bored rich anglo housewife hooks up with a dude off the res?

Old 11-24-2009, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,612 times
CAVA1990, now why would you say that? Couldn't it be a beautiful woman from the reservation seduces a dude in the "expensive home"? Ha, it's neither but it could be....it's a young adult book and it's very complicated and not very developed yet either..that's all I'll say but thanks for all of the information everyone.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:30 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,992,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphotomom View Post
CAVA1990, now why would you say that? Couldn't it be a beautiful woman from the reservation seduces a dude in the "expensive home"? Ha, it's neither but it could be....it's a young adult book and it's very complicated and not very developed yet either..that's all I'll say but thanks for all of the information everyone.
Actually I like that better. How about sticking a time travel element in there? She's from 150 years ago but they don't realize it right away since they're both on horseback when they meet. Oh well, it's your book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or