Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:12 PM

111 posts, read 574,834 times

Advertisements

This is actually not meant to be a negative post, but just the point of view of a life-long east coaster moving out west! Grew up in southeast virginia, lived in new york city many years. Moved in august to ken caryl in littleton.

Positives:
-My 3rd grader loves her public school here in jeffco - it's the first time she's ever said she loves school and loves her teacher (coming from a well-rated private school in manhattan).
-I love all the snow and hope to get out skiing, sledding, and tubing!
-While cost of living isn't that much lower, classes and things to do for kids are SO much less expensive than nyc.
-The trail system near my neigbhorhood, and the possibility of seeing wildlife, are fantastic.

The not-so-great surprises (and these are very subjective and not by any means true for anyone else):
-After reading the posts here for a year, I was prepared that it's much browner than the east, but I thought, okay, I can just take trips to the mountains for a green fix. But the rocky mountains seem to mostly have evergreen trees and aspens, and there's still a lot of barren-looking areas in the mountains. I miss the deciduous trees and canopied landscape of the east. I prefer the smoky and blue ridge mountains.
-In suburban neighborhoods, it seems you PAY for your trees and grass (ie, watering costs). Of course, water supply and drought are becoming an issue across the country, but historically, wooded areas with lots of trees were pretty much free in places like va and nc.
-The amount of lawn care effort required here was also a shocker. Where I'm from, you pretty much just plant grass and mow it. I'm renting a house, and after I moved in, I found out from my landlord that I'm expected to employ a lawn care service for $120/month to maintain the lawn.
-The altitude - I still have not gotten used to it.
-The sun can be a little too strong. My bad, but I missed the word "desert" when reading about co. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the intense daytime sun and then large temperature drop in the evening. (In August, with the intense midday heat and my altitude adjustment, I was ready to drop if I tried to do anything outside except in the morning or late afternoon, lol.) But seriously, my daughter has blond sun streaks in her brown hair just since moving here in August, and it does concern me how much sun she's getting. Getting kids to wear sunscreen all the time isn't that easy!
-I miss rain and rainy days.
-DIA - I thought it's a good airport hub with direct flights to lots of destinations, but it's taken a good 30 minutes if not more just to get through the security check lines and from there another 30 minutes to get to the gate.
-Making new friends for both my daughter and me has been very slow-going so far. The parents at my daughter's school have not felt very welcoming. My mom's observation is that the husbands are nice but the wives are very guarded, or should I say guard their men. Maybe being a single parent is a factor. I have looked for other single parents, but I've met only one other single parent here.

Just wondering if anyone one else who moved here had some of the same regrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 11:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
A lot of us from "back east" miss the rain. You get used to it. My kids, on the other hand, grew up here and missed the sun when they went to college in the midwest. Supposedly they are trying to improve the security situation at DIA. My DD has remarked about how quickly they move people through Chicago. I found making friends a little difficult here. Once the kids were in school, I got very involved in school activities and made some friends. Also at church, if you're so inclined.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:52 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
I am originally from New York, moved up here from Texas, and I have been here almost 30 years. Initially, I missed rain and overcast days. However, now, my arthritic bones and I dread wet days. It is the same with the lack of green and lush forests. Yes, I missed them, initially, but I have come to accept and see the beauty in a new landscape. Most of all I realized that with green comes moisture, with moisture comes humidity, with humidity comes hot and sticky, and with more water comes more snow; more cold, snow, rain, humidity comes pain and swelling in my joints. I can not have it all--I have accepted this land and the people. I have lived here more years then anywhere else. I have learned it is more important to be more, than to see more, and I am at home in Colorado.

You have just recently arrived; you need to give it time. Moving to a new area is like buyer's remorse; did I buy the right house; did I purchase the right car etc. You have to sit back and relax and think about the real reasons you came here and find joy in the happiness of your daughter.

You also arrived during one of the hottest months; you need to feel winter; see spring and embrace summer--but most important relax and know that others have had the same feelings; you are not alone.

One problem I see in reading your post. You are single, raising a Daughter. However, you have rented a home in a family oriented community. You have said you moved from NYC. I lived in NYC and that city would offer more contact for a single person then the area where you live. The city of Denver would be more inviting to your situation because there would be more single parents and diversity.

There are good schools in Denver for your child. Denver is a wonderful growing clean city with different neighborhoods where there is a mixture of singles and families. I would give Denver a try.

I think Pittnurse has given you some good advice. Get involve in groups and activities where you can meet people. A church is a good place to form friendships.(Yes, I am an atheist but I see value in religious communities).

Livecontent

Old 12-08-2007, 11:57 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,362 times
I think having spent most of your life in a different climate/place would make it hard to adjust, no matter where you move to or from. We both grew up in CO, lived in PA for about 9 months in our early 20's. I actually found a cockroach in my bed one night. Holy cow! Never has that happened to me in CO. The sky was grey all the time, never ever blue. We would go to the state park, which was very tiny and the only one for maybe 50 miles. There were so many people there, what was the point? There was no wildlife at all, except a few birds. It was similar to being at DisneyWorld. We could not make the adjustments, no matter how we tried.

My point is: when you have grown up a certain place/way/lifestyle, that is most likely what feels comfortable to you. Some people like change, others try to move and realize they absolutely can't adapt to the differences. When we went to PA we both knew within a week it had been a huge mistake, we just felt it. We had even taken a scouting trip out there prior to moving to make sure everything seemed ok for us. We began saving money for our return to CO the month we got to PA.

So, does it feel like your move was a mistake? Because if you feel that it was you should make plans and get the ball rolling to move back where you are comfortable. The longer you stay the more your daughter will want to stay with her friends at school, the more attached she will become.

You say you are renting, so it should be much more easy to move than for anyone trying to sell right now. $120 a month for lawn service? That is almost criminal. My mom pays $20 a mow, every two weeks!

I wish you luck, whatever you decide to do!

Old 12-09-2007, 12:07 AM

388 posts, read 328,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesunnydays View Post
-The altitude - I still have not gotten used to it.
Same here. I've been here a while and never quite adjusted, and I'm in perfect health.

Quote:
-I miss rain and rainy days.
This is one thing I never thought much of before moving here, but I'm starting to miss entire days of rain.

Quote:
-DIA - I thought it's a good airport hub with direct flights to lots of destinations, but it's taken a good 30 minutes if not more just to get through the security check lines and from there another 30 minutes to get to the gate.
DIA is a pain and the rear and it's the worst airport I've personally been to. Yes, getting to the gate is a hassle and time consuming, not to mention the drive time from the e470/Pena offramp. Good thing I don't have a job that requires travel.

Quote:
-Making new friends for both my daughter and me has been very slow-going so far. The parents at my daughter's school have not felt very welcoming. My mom's observation is that the husbands are nice but the wives are very guarded, or should I say guard their men. Maybe being a single parent is a factor. I have looked for other single parents, but I've met only one other single parent here.
This is a common complaint about Colorado. People tend to be a bit standoffish and keep to themselves somewhat. The trick is to meet as many people as possible, and you'll eventually find a few good friends.

Quote:
This forum is of great value, but you will find many biased opinions. Be wary of real estate agents or others who make money from people relocating to this state. Jazzlover is likely the best poster in this forum -- you'll get honest and realistic opinions from his posts. People considering moving to Colorado should also read the local online newspapers. And before moving here, I think one should spend a month or so in the winter to see if this might be the right place. Colorado is one of the most overrated states.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:37 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
You did come in what is my opinion, the worst month of the year. The sunny days are wonderful and really appreciated in January/February when you can be out and about and not wearing a coat
I will agree that one of our hardest hurdles was making friends here. I had a really hard time at my son's school. Getting involved was what really helped me. But since then I've moved away from most of those people because that was all we had in common - school. Your best bet might be to find activities that you love and get to know people who have the same interests. Some of the best friends we've made here was once my son starting skiing on a ski team.
And as mentioned before, if so inclined, church might be a way to make connections as well.....

Old 12-09-2007, 10:08 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Overall , it sounds like you have it pretty good. I fly out of DEN airport every month or so. The security lines are bad on Mondays. Wednesdays there are no lines. Consider avoiding Mondays. I like DEN. There is no traffic. It is clean. It is fine for a big airport (most everyone prefers smaller airports, COS is outstanding, but it is totally underutilized and not a lot of direct flights.) I wish DEN had free wireless high speed internet like HSV and COS do.

Everyone has a hard time making friends in a new place. It isn't a characteristic of Denver. We're still challenged finding friends for our kids and we've been here since June 06.

Ratio of people who prefer the 300 days of sun to people who prefer humidity in summer and SAD in winter: 273:1

East Coast Winter Day

Colorado Winter Day

Old 12-09-2007, 11:15 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ratio of people who prefer the 300 days of sun to people who prefer humidity in summer and SAD in winter: 273:1
I'm one of those "1", not "273", and my preference is for the top photo, with the river and the neat bridge

The longer I stay in CO, the more I want to leave. I want to see trees, not sky; I'd rather go outside on an overcast day than one with a harsh glaring sun; I physically need more humidity due to sinus problems. So I will be moving back east as soon as possible, career-wise, but I never intended to stay in Colorado for the long term. Not to denigrate Colorado, but it isn't paradise for everyone.

Oh, and I also think the appalachians are prettier - the rockies are majestic, but I love the rolling lush green hills around West Virginia.

There are some organized social networking sites, like meetin.org (which has some family friendly activities), and meetup.com (which is organized by interest).

Old 12-09-2007, 11:28 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

East Coast Winter Day

Colorado Winter Day

Pretty shoots of Colorado winter day. I'm jealous!!

Here is my winter day in Austin. Cloudy, warm and humid. Pic was taken right now in my front yard:

What I did yesterday:

Old 12-09-2007, 01:54 PM

835 posts, read 2,855,761 times
i like the pic of co with sun and snow, and there is no such thing as a bad or good place its really whatever makes a place good for you, for me an outdoorsmen a snow lover and an adventurous the state of colorado works out pretty well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado