U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:44 PM

65 posts, read 165,097 times

Advertisements

I just want to escape the school mid terms and take a refreshing this coming
weekend, I'm thinking going to Vail. Is the snow still there? is it nice to go there? any other suggestion? the main purpose is not skiing... just visiting
other city

Last edited by McMazyad; 11-11-2009 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,008,682 times
Wink ...and don't forget I-70

I haven't been through Vail, CO in the last several months, so hopefully a local can apprise you better of current conditions. Nevertheless, you might see by this site of their's that they have received some snow of late, with more expected this week. None of the ski runs seem to be open:
Snow Report - Snow & Weather Report | Vail.com

If you're looking for a weekend at a mountain resort, Vail should be quite nice. If not exactly inexpensive. The area and surroundings are certainly beautiful enough.

Another similar option, and even closer to the Front Range, would be the towns and resorts of Summit County, which one drives past in reaching Vail (if to Vail then dealing with Vail Pass, in addition to the Eisenhower Tunnel). A nice hotel in Silverthorne, Dillon, or Frisco can be more or less affordable. Breckenridge is just a bit removed, and a lovely town that in many respects might be what you are after. Unlike Vail, it is also quite removed from the traffic on I-70.

Speaking of I-70, you might want to study your schedule. At certain times of year, and we are getting there, and some weekends, it can be anything but a pleasant or quick drive. Juggling your arrival and departure to accommodate this reality might save you a lot of grief. Oh, and be prepared for the possibility of winter driving conditions.

Otherwise, sounds like fun.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:48 AM

447 posts, read 1,417,295 times
Haven't been over to Vail but I live in Keystone and you aren't going to find any Natural Snow below timberline, BUT, that may change there is a storm headed this way starting tomorrow night

Old 11-12-2009, 02:39 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,000,228 times
Vail and Beaver Creek Cams-on mountain cams

Old 11-12-2009, 05:02 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,067,654 times
Vail's Opening Day is Nov 20th, so it's "slack time" pre ski season. Which means there are lodging deals readily available, and you can check them out on Vail on Sale &reg - the Vail Valley's Clearinghouse for Last Minute Bookings or similar websites.
Lots of places are featuring specials around $100 (+/-), and The Roost (in West Vail) has $69 rate rooms. Or contact some of the hotels directly for their promo deals .... they're not making any money on vacant rooms right now, so are very willing to deeply discount them. Check the Vail Trail or The Daily for "locals" dining specials or coupons, too, that are not advertised anywhere else; here again, some of the restaurants are seeking to bring in patrons in an otherwise slow time with some pretty deep discounts.

You'll find that the I-70 travel in this "off season" time frame is not the craziness of so many people trying to get to the slopes every day, so it's a lot mellower drive than during ski season even in winter driving conditions. With the recent sunny days and light snowfall along the corridor, the road is pretty clear right now.

Have fun. You'll be able to check out the shops which are pretty much set up for the winter season but without the winter crowds there yet. Hiking the area can still be a lot of fun, too.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:59 AM

5,656 posts, read 9,389,023 times
Like the others, I haven't been to Vail in a couple months. There was a snowstorm a few weeks ago, but I bet it's all melted off by now. We're expecting another one coming in today which will probably dump a pretty good amount of snow on Vail. Whether it sticks around depends on how much it warms up after that.

You don't see consistent snow on the ground at the lower elevations until later in the season. You probably know that already living in Boulder. Same thing for Vail.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:42 PM

Judging from the on mountain cameras right now, Vail is seriously in need of some major snow dumps and cold weather for snow-making or it's gonna be pretty thin come opening day.

Still a lot of bare ground to hike on the hillsides right out of town and very little snow cover on the higher terrain.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:08 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,498,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Judging from the on mountain cameras right now, Vail is seriously in need of some major snow dumps and cold weather for snow-making or it's gonna be pretty thin come opening day.

Still a lot of bare ground to hike on the hillsides right out of town and very little snow cover on the higher terrain.
I found over the years the winter snow was dependent on the La Nina/El Nino weather patterns over the Pacific and I think the long term forecast I looked at a month or so ago they were predicting a colder drier winter for Colorado this year.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I found over the years the winter snow was dependent on the La Nina/El Nino weather patterns over the Pacific and I think the long term forecast I looked at a month or so ago they were predicting a colder drier winter for Colorado this year.
So much for the weather pattern forecasts ... the ones I looked at for the ocean weather patterns forecasted a wet & cold winter this year in the 'rocks.

If the cold/drier pattern actually develops and persists for the Colorado ski areas, it could be a real disaster this year ... Utah ski areas have been getting hammered so far this season. I'm still hoping they'll send a bunch our way soon ....

Old 11-12-2009, 06:01 PM

447 posts, read 1,417,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Dare I say that this is the forecast that I expect for this season
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado