Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 11:53 AM

87 posts, read 261,330 times

Advertisements

Oh geez. Why does everyone think this is a good idea? And who says it's good for you? Do you have any scientific studies to back that up?

Yeah I know a lot of people are "closet" smokers. So what? Lots of people do stupid things. I'm not one of them. But, I don't need to get loaded to be able to face everyday life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 12:22 PM

768 posts, read 942,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinDi59 View Post
Oh geez. Why does everyone think this is a good idea?
It's harmless at best. It's never killed anyone, yet its' illegality has killed literally millions of people via drug related violence. Legalizing cannabis will decrease the incredible international demand. Mexico and Portugal have decriminalized drugs with incredibly positive results.
Quote:
And who says it's good for you? Do you have any scientific studies to back that up?
Even the politically driven AMA is now coming out of the cannabis closet:
Medical Marijuana: American Medical Association Calls for Review of Pot's Schedule I Status | Stop the Drug War (DRCNet)

""Short term controlled trials indicate that smoked cannabis reduces neuropathic pain, improves appetite and caloric intake especially in patients with reduced muscle mass, and may relieve spasticity and pain in patients with multiple sclerosis," the CSAPH report found."

There are a plethora of other studies. Keep in mind, though, that the establishment at large has incredible motivation, and has for a long time, to denegrade cannabis. The pharma industry will take a major hit once mainstream Americans learn that indica's can help with everything from menstrual cramps to depression to nausea.
Quote:
Yeah I know a lot of people are "closet" smokers. So what? Lots of people do stupid things. I'm not one of them. But, I don't need to get loaded to be able to face everyday life.
I don't either. I also don't need to enjoy a steak a few times a week. Nor do I need coffee to get out of bed. Nor do I need the luxury vehicle I just bought-but all of the above are the little luxuries that add to my quality of life! Pot is not the type of drug wherein it's "omg I need a joint to get out of bed!" You don't see beggars on the street turning tricks for pot, for example. It's just a mild buzz that offers a few hours of pleasure for the healthy, and, in many cases, medicinal relief for the ill.

Have you ever used cannabis? If you are not comfortable smoking, you can vaporize. Also remember that various strains have completely different effects; it's not a one size fits all plant!

Old 11-13-2009, 01:35 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
Actually I can't believe it's taken this long in Breck..guess now they can change the 4 O'Clock Run to the 420. A few years back I was considering the purchase of the old Nick N Willy's franchise in town before it finally went bust..one thing we thought about was offering a daily 420 special. Ended up not going through with the business, but anyway people not familiar with the town should know its ganja mecca reputation is anything but myth there...The only real complications I saw with the pothead snowboard, culture was the constant whining about having to drive to Frisco to hit Taco Bell after a day of great runs.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:24 PM

229 posts, read 750,659 times
Finally, a legalized miracle medication that will not only help my glaucoma, but also make Andy Samberg seem funny.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:00 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Pot is different then it was back in the 1960's. The THC level is 20 times higher on usual and also it's heavily carcinogenic and fries your brain. It's a hard drug and I know people that have died from being regular users.

Last thing we need is more pot heads on the slopes crashing into people.

Pretty soon the whole country will be high and under the influence.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:30 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
Myths and Facts About Marijuana

Old 11-13-2009, 05:39 PM

768 posts, read 942,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Pot is different then it was back in the 1960's.
No it's not. Same plant, just been crossbred a bit via personal preference.
Quote:
The THC level is 20 times higher on usual .
This is true, and it is actually healthier. One or two hits of smoke will provide the effect a full joint used to. Of course that's a generalization, but alas THC is only a piece of the puzzle. It's not "harsher" per say. Saying it has 20 times the THC is not the same as saying it's "20 times stronger." Some semi-layered science to explain it in detail.
Quote:
and also it's heavily carcinogenic
No, it's not-it is less carcinnogenic than tobacco. If you consider that the average tobacco user smokes at least a pack a day and the average marijuana smoker smokes a few puffs a week, it relegates the smoke inhalation to a non-issue. Moreover, many people do not even smoke it-they eat it or vaporize it.
Quote:
and fries your brain.
No, it doesn't. Indeed, I've gained a lot of insight into the physical world while high as a kite on a nice sativa.
Quote:
It's a hard drug and I know people that have died from being regular users.
No, you don't. It is physically impossible to die from cannabis.
It's one thing to be ignorant-that's excusable. But if you could refrain from flat out lying, that would be appreciated.
Quote:
Last thing we need is more pot heads on the slopes crashing into people.

Pretty soon the whole country will be high and under the influence.
I'm starting to think I took the bait.

Are you serious?

Old 11-14-2009, 12:01 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
No it's not. Same plant, just been crossbred a bit via personal preference. This is true, and it is actually healthier. One or two hits of smoke will provide the effect a full joint used to. Of course that's a generalization, but alas THC is only a piece of the puzzle. It's not "harsher" per say. Saying it has 20 times the THC is not the same as saying it's "20 times stronger." Some semi-layered science to explain it in detail.No, it's not-it is less carcinnogenic than tobacco. If you consider that the average tobacco user smokes at least a pack a day and the average marijuana smoker smokes a few puffs a week, it relegates the smoke inhalation to a non-issue. Moreover, many people do not even smoke it-they eat it or vaporize it. No, it doesn't. Indeed, I've gained a lot of insight into the physical world while high as a kite on a nice sativa. No, you don't. It is physically impossible to die from cannabis.
It's one thing to be ignorant-that's excusable. But if you could refrain from flat out lying, that would be appreciated.

I'm starting to think I took the bait.

Are you serious?
Yes.

Anytime the pot debate comes up, the pot smokers always have a series of excuses and supposed "health" benefits about it.

However the reality I have seen is like alcohol, it has ruined lives, people's health and relationships with others. I've never seen anything good come out of it. I've seen quite a few people on it and all suffered from extreme bi polar behavior and serious health problems, including one fatal from cancer.

I lived in a variety of Colorado ski resorts for over seven years. Saw plenty of people on pot and dealt with all their freaky and dangerous behavior. My old employer in Vail we had an work incident that nearly killed a few people and when the mandatory drug test was done they were high on pot. We also had a series of other incidents that it turned out that drug was involved. Again never saw anything good come of it.

It's a drug that alters your state of consciousness. I don't want people skiing around me high on it, I don't want people driving around me on it, I don't want people at the airport working on my plane high on it, I don't want people operating machinery around me on it. I don't want to live next to people on it.

People that rationalize about it will post all sorts of studies done by liberal and pro drug organizations, but the reality is that it is a dangerous, health damaging hard drug.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:50 AM

274 posts, read 627,663 times
Quote:

It's a drug that alters your state of consciousness. I don't want people skiing around me high on it, I don't want people driving around me on it, I don't want people at the airport working on my plane high on it, I don't want people operating machinery around me on it. I don't want to live next to people on it.
I agree with you on every part of this statement but the last. The odds are you probably already live next to someone who smokes it, or you live next to quite a few people who drink alcohol and smoke/chew tobacco which causes more harm then Marijuana does.

I DO NOT condone driving or working on it, but I should have the right to sit in my home and smoke it if I feel like it. I have been smoking for about 20 years now. I have never gone to work high, nor have I ever driven high. I have never been fired from a job nor have I committed any crime because of the drug.

I am a professional who has been working in the I.T./Telecommunications industry for over 12 years. I am far from being what everyone stereotypes pot smokers as...stoners who are lazy and/or dumb. My job demands me to keep current with the latest Technologies and I have been and will continue to have to study for the rest of my career.

Marijuana is not addicting the way alcohol, tobacco, prescription, and other hard drugs like heroin, meth, coke, etc are. Also it is not a gateway drug as all the non-supporters think. I personally have never done any other drug and I never will.

Just as some people like to come home after a hard days work and have a beer, or a glass of wine, and/or a cigarette, I prefer to come home take a couple puffs and sit back and enjoy my life.

The only reason the drug was outlawed in the first place was because of racism. The Feds used fear as a tool to convince the majority of the population which was white, that the drug caused people to commit murders, rapes, and robberies. It was the way for the Federal Government to put minorities in prison.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:59 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,350 times
Loaded=drunk.

It's too bad more people don't use cannabis instead of alcohol.

Also, the word 'marijuana' was Mexican slang used to demonize the plant in the 20s. Cannabis is the scientific term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado