U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:38 AM

25 posts, read 89,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
I was personally sentenced to 365 days in Sweetwater County, Wyoming for possession of less than one ounce of Marijuana. That was my one and only offense. I was not on probation or parole. I was not charged with intent to sell, being as how I didn't have a scale and the actual amount I had was less than 2 grams.

If you doubt that at all, I'm sure a public record can be found somewhere, as per your freedom of information. My name is Justin Fleming, look it up.

People are jailed on a regular basis for smoking pot. You really shouldn't speak so certainly of things you know nothing about. Just an FYI
Your first offense, huh? Wyoming is a conditional release state, so even if you had the most evil judge in the world, possessed by the devil himself, it would literally be impossible for him to sentence you to any jail time. In terms of me speaking on things I know nothing about: I've worked as an attorney for 10 years and defended a great deal of drug-related cases.

You are 100% without a doubt making this story up. That said, people do not get jailed for smoking pot as their only offense. It *does not happen*. Anyone that tells you differently is lying. Sorry.

P.S. Even cultivation of 100 plants in Wyoming gets a lesser sentence than your aforementioned jail time. Guess they nailed you pretty bad? Get out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 08:58 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,291,441 times
There is no denying the fact that marijuana is a safer alternative to alcohol yet alcohol remains legal. I find it frustrating that people who like to unwind with jello shots have the moral and legal high ground over those who like to unwind with a joint.

SAFER - Alcohol vs. Marijuana

Old 11-15-2009, 09:48 AM

261 posts, read 620,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Yes.

Anytime the pot debate comes up, the pot smokers always have a series of excuses and supposed "health" benefits about it.

However the reality I have seen is like alcohol, it has ruined lives, people's health and relationships with others. I've never seen anything good come out of it. I've seen quite a few people on it and all suffered from extreme bi polar behavior and serious health problems, including one fatal from cancer.

I lived in a variety of Colorado ski resorts for over seven years. Saw plenty of people on pot and dealt with all their freaky and dangerous behavior. My old employer in Vail we had an work incident that nearly killed a few people and when the mandatory drug test was done they were high on pot. We also had a series of other incidents that it turned out that drug was involved. Again never saw anything good come of it.

It's a drug that alters your state of consciousness. I don't want people skiing around me high on it, I don't want people driving around me on it, I don't want people at the airport working on my plane high on it, I don't want people operating machinery around me on it. I don't want to live next to people on it.

People that rationalize about it will post all sorts of studies done by liberal and pro drug organizations, but the reality is that it is a dangerous, health damaging hard drug.
I hear there's great skiing in Iran. Might be a better fit for you.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
There is no denying the fact that marijuana is a safer alternative to alcohol yet alcohol remains legal. I find it frustrating that people who like to unwind with jello shots have the moral and legal high ground over those who like to unwind with a joint.

SAFER - Alcohol vs. Marijuana
Legalization isn't going to gain any traction by continually beating the "it's safer than alcohol" argument to death. I don't think that's even a consideration when the issue is discussed through legal channels - it doesn't take a genius to recognize statistics on deaths due to drunk driving.

You have to realize that there are still a lot of people who have a negative idea of cannabis. Some of those ideas aren't conjured up without good reason - maybe they used to smoke bud themselves or saw a handful of slackers live an unfulfilling life because their #1 priority was smoking pot all day. Sure, you can cite a TON of case studies of similar situations with alcohol, but that's not the point.

The point I'm making is that just because you consider bud harmless (i pretty much agree with that), safer than alcohol, and a soft drug doesn't mean the government should go through the hassle of legalizing it. Admittedly, there is a lot of talk about taxation and how much money it would generate for the country...but that bottom line figure better be A LOT to justify causing a nationwide uproar. Can you imagine how much turmoil would sprout up from something so simple? Is it really worth it? In short, as far as modern times are concerned, it's bad business/politics to take a stand for marijuana legalization - that's why you don't see a lot of big names (in politics) crying out for it.

There just aren't enough positives to legalization at this point. Argue it all you want, but apologies in advance for falling on deaf ears.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:59 AM

261 posts, read 620,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathren View Post

It's also interesting to note that the personality disorders wanneroo mentioned are 100% correct - I've seen PLENTY of kids who spent a great deal of time smoking pot throughout high school develop personality disorders later on in adulthood. This includes bipolar-ism, extreme lack of motivation, and so on.
Care to provide even a smidgen of real data to back up your claims? Didn't think so.

Quote:

I'm not saying every single person is affected this way...but if you smoke bud on a daily basis for 6-7 years straight something is going to happen to you. Just like if you eat snickers every day for 6-7 years something negative is going to happen to you...it's not rocket science.
Now there's a science based argument if I've ever seen one.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:59 PM

28 posts, read 70,308 times
Quote:
That isn't a fair comparison. It's obvious that the majority of kids in America have easier access to alcohol and cigarettes simply because they're widely used. I can't think of a middle school student who wouldn't have at least one friend with an easily accessible liquor cabinet. Perhaps it was different in your neck of the woods.

I wasn't "throwing the word loser around". If you read the entire thread then you'd know what I was referencing.
Oh that's a perfectly fair comparison. Especially when you take into consideration that fact that marijuana is all ready quite widely used. Enough for plenty of kids to have friends who have access to a stash kept in a jar in their parent's basement the same way they have access to an alcohol cabinet. It's true. I had access to a jar in my parent's basement. My friend had access to a cookie tin in her parent's basement. So all of our friends had a friend who... You get my point. So there's that in addition to the fact that it was easy for us to acquire our own marijuana from the black market, which extended its way down to the middle school age range. Again this is just based my own experiences. If marijuana were to be legalized but regulated in the same fashion that alcohol and nicotine currently are, the marijuana black market which currently includes middle schoolers, would eventually get squeezed out of business. That would have made it harder for me to be able to acquire my own marijuana while I was in middle school. And I would have been restricted to just scraping off of that stash down in the basement, which I couldn't do too much of or I would've eventually been caught. That is why I think legalization would not make it any easier for kids to have access to marijuana. This is just my own opinion based on my own experiences.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith76 View Post
Care to provide even a smidgen of real data to back up your claims? Didn't think so.

Now there's a science based argument if I've ever seen one.
Oh man, you really got me! You can do your own research, it's not like anything I post here will hold a candle to what you've already made up your mind about. There are legitimate studies that link heavy marijuana usage to schizophrenia, bipolarism, etc. On that note, there are also people who say the exact opposite and suggest that marijuana cures those symptoms. Who are you to believe? To cite what I originally said, I've personally seen kids who are great friends of mine develop personality problems from smoking bud regularly over a long period of time . I'm not making this up to support an argument, it's just an honest observation. If you can somehow prove that this is impossible then I invite you to do so. I'd seriously be interested to see it.

Listen, I'm not *against* marijuana legalization. Hell, I even smoke it regularly.

In response to your post above, answer me this:

Do you truly believe that smoking bud on a daily basis for years has no negative effects on your body? I'm so tired of hearing people act like bud is completely harmless. It's not. I've seen pot be a sole influence in sending someones life in a downward spiral. I've also seen video games act the same way. It's funny to note that marijuana activists think just because something else exists that is WORSE than pot, that justifies the reasons for potentially legalizing it. What a weird form of arguing...no wonder legalization continues to gain zero traction where it matters most.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:29 PM

91 posts, read 221,914 times
Quote:
Oh man, you really got me! You can do your own research, it's not like anything I post here will hold a candle to what you've already made up your mind about. hTere are legitimate studies that link heavy marijuana usage to schizophrenia, bipolarism, etc. On that note, there are also people who say the exact opposite and suggest that marijuana cures those symptoms. Who are you to believe? To cite what I originally said, I've personally seen kids who are great friends of mine develop personality problems from smoking bud regularly over a long period of time . I'm not making this up to support an argument, it's just an honest observation. If you can somehow prove that this is impossible then I invite you to do so. I'd seriously be interested to see it.

Listen, I'm not *against* marijuana legalization. Hell, I even smoke it regularly.

In response to your post above, answer me this:

Do you truly believe that smoking bud on a daily basis for years has no negative effects on your body? I'm so tired of hearing people act like bud is completely harmless. It's not. I've seen pot be a sole influence in sending someones life in a downward spiral. I've also seen video games act the same way. It's funny to note that marijuana activists think just because something else exists that is WORSE than pot, that justifies the reasons for potentially legalizing it. What a weird form of arguing...no wonder legalization continues to gain zero traction where it matters most.
I think that the mental illness was already there. Perhaps smoking marijuana triggered the downward spiral but did not cause the illness.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:40 AM

770 posts, read 745,138 times
Quote:
Your first offense, huh? Wyoming is a conditional release state, so even if you had the most evil judge in the world, possessed by the devil himself, it would literally be impossible for him to sentence you to any jail time. In terms of me speaking on things I know nothing about: I've worked as an attorney for 10 years and defended a great deal of drug-related cases.

You are 100% without a doubt making this story up. That said, people do not get jailed for smoking pot as their only offense. It *does not happen*. Anyone that tells you differently is lying. Sorry..
Not for smoking, no. But for choosing to grow one or two plants as oppose to heading to the ghetto to buy a joint? Countless people in jail for that.

A man in Ohio did 4 years for 4 plants recently. First offense. I think more importantly is the effect these arrests have on peoples careers. If you are involved in health care, that's it. Game over. Your career is finished in most cases. And so people who want to temporarily escape in health care doctor-shop for xanax and hit the liquor store.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:30 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,734,052 times
This is a real boon for the non-abuser...competing with stoners to get and keep jobs is like taking money away from retards. I say pile it up on the street corners and give it away. Those with a propensity to use it will self-destruct, or at the very least self-identify themselves as losers. That's good for the rest of us. It IS still legal to discriminate against losers.

The funny thing is that users think the rest of us don't know who they are. We know a lot more than they think. And if I saw a doctor using it at a party the word would be on the streets before they got home.

You can ask people that were in the military through the late 70s and early 80s, as I was, what kind of difference mandatory random drug testing did in cleaning out nonperformers from the ranks. The difference before-after drug testing was like night and day.

All it takes is to be out on a street in Amsterdam on a Sunday morning to observe that free recreational drug use is not a good thing. The users come out and trudge through the streets like zombies...return of the night of the living dead.

I find it interesting when the news reports that the vast majority of medical marijuana prescriptions around here are coming from the same 11 doctors, a number of whom have restricted medical licenses and can't legally prescribe cough syrup. In another time and place we had a different name for them...pushers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado