U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:51 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,521,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
This is a real boon for the non-abuser...competing with stoners to get and keep jobs is like taking money away from retards. I say pile it up on the street corners and give it away. Those with a propensity to use it will self-destruct, or at the very least self-identify themselves as losers. That's good for the rest of us. It IS still legal to discriminate against losers.

The funny thing is that users think the rest of us don't know who they are. We know a lot more than they think. And if I saw a doctor using it at a party the word would be on the streets before they got home.

You can ask people that were in the military through the late 70s and early 80s, as I was, what kind of difference mandatory random drug testing did in cleaning out nonperformers from the ranks. The difference before-after drug testing was like night and day.

All it takes is to be out on a street in Amsterdam on a Sunday morning to observe that free recreational drug use is not a good thing. The users come out and trudge through the streets like zombies...return of the night of the living dead.

I find it interesting when the news reports that the vast majority of medical marijuana prescriptions around here are coming from the same 11 doctors, a number of whom have restricted medical licenses and can't legally prescribe cough syrup. In another time and place we had a different name for them...pushers.
I remember growing up my Dad's first duty posting as a doctor in the Army in the late 70's. Drug use in the army was rampant at the time, a legacy from the later years in Vietnam. He stayed busy in the ER repairing broken bodies from all sorts of accidents and violence from people smoking dope. When I was a bit older in the early 80's he'd take me around on his rounds checking up on patients on Saturday morning and point out what had happened to these people and why.

Once the military started clearing up the drug abuse, by Desert Storm it was a whole different scene. The military hospital and ER was a quiet place compared to 10 years before.

It's clear there are some people that want to stay bombed out of their mind, so I believe we need to find a way to accommodate that and separate it from society to keep everyone else safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 04:06 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,294,244 times
49% of drug related deaths in Colorado between 2003-2008 were from prescription drugs. No one has ever died from a marijuana overdose. If people can find relief from marijuana as opposed to more dangerous prescription drugs then what is the problem?

Old 12-19-2009, 04:24 PM

770 posts, read 745,755 times
Good points by bob, wannaeroo. I couldn't agree more. For example, I made 3 grand today and haven't left the house. I play poker for a living, a skill I crafted in college, namely by taking lots of upper-level math. While high. I wasn't as smart as some of my classmates. Sometimes it took a nice sativa to really get my head around some of the more abstract concepts.

Now I'm going to eat some ice cream and play NHL 2010. While high.

After that I'll probably read a book-while high. Maybe even spray some "sinner juice-" while high.

Hide the women and children folks, thinkin about it is coming to a town near you- HIGH, ON THE DEVIL WEED!!!!

I just hope Bob doesn't put "the word on the street"-now that would be embarrassing.

Huckabee 2012, praise Jesus, up the hope, DOWN WITH DOPE!!!!

Old 12-19-2009, 07:38 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,517,164 times
Thinkin about it.....I am so very glad that my sons are fighting for your right to do whatever you chose...( and they HAVE TO DO IT SOBER!!)
It is called FREEDOM..by the way!! AND, YOU are welcome!!
By the way..they BOTH are very smart AND could probably beat you in MATH!!! They just chose to put their smarts in a different sort of way!!
Alas,...they are doing what they do to make sure that .."You can do what YOU want to do". I will thank them for you!
I refuse to say whether I think that it should be legal or not but,...rest assured.........you live in a country that fights for your right to choose!!!JMO!!

Old 12-24-2009, 12:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,239 times
So let me be the first to ask the question I'm sure that we all have on our minds. What did arguing about this situation accomplish? Nobody changed anybody else's mind.

Remember: "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in an argument."

It appears to me that everyone that posted on this thread so far has their mind made up, so an argument is quite futile.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:26 AM

261 posts, read 620,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouldIhaveBeenanyonebutme View Post
So let me be the first to ask the question I'm sure that we all have on our minds. What did arguing about this situation accomplish? Nobody changed anybody else's mind.

It appears to me that everyone that posted on this thread so far has their mind made up, so an argument is quite futile.
No one's trying to convert anyone here. It's just a discussion of freedom vs. security. Can't see what's wrong with that.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith76 View Post
No one's trying to convert anyone here. It's just a discussion of freedom vs. security. Can't see what's wrong with that.

Touche

It just appears that the argument is getting no where with both sides finding countless facts and sources and personal stories backing up their side with no one gaining any ground. But, I suppose that it is the essence of America to stand for what you believe. So please guys, continue................

Old 12-28-2009, 07:08 PM

76 posts, read 152,471 times
There is without a doubt a monumental shift going on in the attitudes towards cannabis in this country. We are almost at the tipping point where all states will deciminialize one by one. Although I'm done smoking cannabis people should have the right to smoke it.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:49 AM

65 posts, read 83,028 times
I am proud of Colorado too....Breckenridge in particular. I'm in my 60's and have always thought it should be legal. I too believe that we'll be shaking our heads at this in the future. The medical marijuana debate is just the beginning of the end. Yay! I do worry that in the interim, pissed off law enforcement will really increase pressure on anyone growing, selling, or imbibing pot to show them they can't get away with it just because it's legal in some places.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:54 AM

65 posts, read 83,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouldIhaveBeenanyonebutme View Post

Heck, I think that's the case with most arguments. No one's going to change their minds. Not me....not them. I don't argue too much...high or straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado