U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2010, 11:00 AM
 
25 posts, read 89,803 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
Not for smoking, no. But for choosing to grow one or two plants as oppose to heading to the ghetto to buy a joint? Countless people in jail for that.

A man in Ohio did 4 years for 4 plants recently. First offense. I think more importantly is the effect these arrests have on peoples careers. If you are involved in health care, that's it. Game over. Your career is finished in most cases. And so people who want to temporarily escape in health care doctor-shop for xanax and hit the liquor store.
Before I continue arguing with the derelicts on this forum I want to note that I've worked as an attorney in San Francisco for the last 15 years and have followed Marijuana reform closely for the entirety of my tenure. I'm not against legalization but enjoy pointing out the dull debates most "activists" latch on to.

It seems like you're making half of this up in your head. People do not go to jail for minor offenses - especially FOUR bud plants - unless they have a bad record or were cultivating with the intent of distribution to minors. I invite you to show me something that documents the case you're talking about because I'm having a hard time finding it. P.S. Ohio is a conditional release state. In the rare event that your story is true, this would literally prove that the guy in jail has a record. Ohio doesn't enforce a mandatory minimum sentence either unless the grow operation is on an enterprise scale: I.e. >20,000 grams which definitely isn't coming off of "4 plants".

It's worth mentioning the extremely high % of Marijuana offenses that go through every local court system in America. You're telling me that some judge just decided one day: "Hey, I don't like this guy, I'm going to ruin his life by sending him to jail for 4 years!!" while going easy (relatively speaking) on the plethora of other people in court for the same exact thing, if not worse? In a state that has decriminalized Marijuana? Give me a break. These things do not happen...not in today's world, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2010, 09:25 AM
 
770 posts, read 744,148 times
Reputation: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathren View Post
Before I continue arguing with the derelicts on this forum I want to note that I've worked as an attorney in San Francisco for the last 15 years and have followed Marijuana reform closely for the entirety of my tenure. I'm not against legalization but enjoy pointing out the dull debates most "activists" latch on to..
Translation: "excuse my insufficient and ill-considered argument ripe with personal jabs, for I have an illustrious career. Who are you?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathren View Post
It seems like you're making half of this up in your head. People do not go to jail for minor offenses - especially FOUR bud plants - unless they have a bad record or were cultivating with the intent of distribution to minors.
I invite you to show me something that documents the case you're talking about because I'm having a hard time finding it. [/quote]Ohio Legislature and Cincinnati City Council enact unreasonable marijuana legislation; Randy Brush sentenced to 3 years in prison (http://www.mpp.org/states/ohio/alerts/ohio-legislature-and-cincinnati-city-council-enact-unreasonable.html - broken link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtMeAfzPpew

I had the case on file and lost it, forgive me for the shoddy sourcing.

It was three, forgive me. You'll note that upon a 101 review of cannabis cultivation charges D.A's will usually automatically trump up 'intent to distribute' charges as per S.O.P. Aside from the claim that the State's office does clairvoyance, this should strike anyone familiar with the botany of roughly any plant to be absurd; one can't predict ones harvest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathren View Post
P.S. Ohio is a conditional release state. In the rare event that your story is true, this would literally prove that the guy in jail has a record. Ohio doesn't enforce a mandatory minimum sentence either unless the grow operation is on an enterprise scale: I.e. >20,000 grams which definitely isn't coming off of "4 plants".
He served most of it. It was his first offense. I think you are misunderstanding what the term conditional release means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathren View Post
It's worth mentioning the extremely high % of Marijuana offenses that go through every local court system in America. You're telling me that some judge just decided one day: "Hey, I don't like this guy, I'm going to ruin his life by sending him to jail for 4 years!!" while going easy (relatively speaking) on the plethora of other people in court for the same exact thing, if not worse? In a state that has decriminalized Marijuana? Give me a break. These things do not happen...not in today's world, sorry.
If you think this kind of injustice does not happen "in today's world," I don't know what to say?

Where does one begin?

The Cleveland Free Times :: Cover :: Just What the Doctor Ordered (http://www.freetimes.com/stories/14/40/just-what-the-doctor-ordered - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 10:00 AM
 
621 posts, read 932,914 times
Reputation: 397
The one thing I like about this:

Maybe, just maybe....hemp can be grown for seeds, rope, clothing....as a green alternative. Hemp is a super food and the fact we can buy it, yet not grow it in the US legally is odd.

What I don't like:

That the legalization is not on the principal of the GOOD and healthy things about the plant.

The hypocrisy that the same people attempting to legalize Marijuana are attempting to Ban cigarette smoking.

Public pot smoking and the risk of the contact buzz and becoming impaired is real.

If it becomes legal before the ability to monitor its production and distribution, you have no way to verify the efficacy of the product and may have just invited some drug dealers into your neighborhood.

Who monitors the kids of these people getting high from contact smoke? Ask your kids if they know the kids in their schools that are pot smokers. They aren't productive people.

Cancer patients need it, but I thought they have had the ability to get pharma grade marijuana for some time.

As a business owner, if you smoke pot-you don't work for me.

I went to college and saw first hand what happens.

As an adult I have "friends" who expect me to be "OK" with them sparking up at my home and are RUDE when I say no. I have kids here.

Nothing you can say will justify that getting high is cool or healthy. Stumbling about is not my idea of fun.

As an adult, I know people who think it's funny to get their dogs high...

Driving impaired is dangerous.

Skiing impaired is dangerous. You are risking other skiers lives.

Pot smokers are useless in a work setting and lack creativity and energy. I suggest for those looking to relax, to take some yoga, do meditation or EXERCISE!

(By the way, when I enjoy a wine...my drink doesn't spill into the body of the person next to me.)

Last edited by Robinstyler; 01-22-2010 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:43 PM
 
770 posts, read 744,148 times
Reputation: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
The one thing I like about this:

Maybe, just maybe....hemp can be grown for seeds, rope, clothing....as a green alternative. Hemp is a super food and the fact we can buy it, yet not grow it in the US legally is odd.

What I don't like:

That the legalization is not on the principal of the GOOD and healthy things about the plant.

The hypocrisy that the same people attempting to legalize Marijuana are attempting to Ban cigarette smoking.
Because one plant has never killed anyone(and indeed is medicinally beneficial to a wide variety of people) and the other kills hundreds of thousands of people every year. Good parallel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
Public pot smoking and the risk of the contact buzz and becoming impaired is real.
Legalization will come with nuance. Nobody will be blowing bong hits in your childs face at 7/11.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
If it becomes legal before the ability to monitor its production and distribution, you have no way to verify the efficacy of the product and may have just invited some drug dealers into your neighborhood.
You don't need to monitor it, just like you don't need to monitor corn, potatoes, or a variety of other legal crops. When you legalize the plant the price falls to virtually nothing, as it's literally a weed: it can grow in your backyard. Just as you don't see gangsta's growing blueberry bushels in their basements now, you won't see gangsta's selling high-dollar cannabis once it becomes legal. Again, because it won't make sense financially.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
Who monitors the kids of these people getting high from contact smoke? Ask your kids if they know the kids in their schools that are pot smokers. They aren't productive people.
Common mistake. Most of the people that smoke pot are in the shadows. You have no idea that they smoke, thus the lowest common denominator is relegated to fit the cliche', as they have nothing to lose by being open.

Even still, if you're unwilling to recognize the private nature of this hobby for most professionals, it's still an incorrect position even by considering those who are "out."

Carl Sagan was mildly productive. ""I am convinced that there are genuine and valid levels of perception available with cannabis (and probably with other drugs) which are, through the defects of our society and our educational system, un-available to us without such drugs." - Carl Sagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
Cancer patients need it, but I thought they have had the ability to get pharma grade marijuana for some time.

As a business owner, if you smoke pot-you don't work for me.

I went to college and saw first hand what happens.

As an adult I have "friends" who expect me to be "OK" with them sparking up at my home and are RUDE when I say no. I have kids here.

Nothing you can say will justify that getting high is cool or healthy. Stumbling about is not my idea of fun.

As an adult, I know people who think it's funny to get their dogs high...

Driving impaired is dangerous.

Skiing impaired is dangerous. You are risking other skiers lives.

Pot smokers are useless in a work setting and lack creativity and energy. I suggest for those looking to relax, to take some yoga, do meditation or EXERCISE!

(By the way, when I enjoy a wine...my drink doesn't spill into the body of the person next to me.)
Where does one begin? I don't have the patience for this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:54 PM
 
621 posts, read 932,914 times
Reputation: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post

Where does one begin? I don't have the patience for this.

Side effect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 01:02 PM
 
770 posts, read 744,148 times
Reputation: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
Side effect?
It's not that I'm intentionally trying to be rude for its own sake. I'd be willing to bet we'd even enjoy each others company IRL. But you're wrong on this one in a big way. You know losers who happen to smoke pot. But the pot is an aside in the equation; they were going to be losers anyway, and the pot facilitates that. The difference is everything.

But I'm not that way. My friends aren't. Many good people aren't. And it's a beyond arrogant and dismissive and ignorant to pretend like we shouldn't have the right to inhale the fumes of a mild psychedelic should we see it fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 01:50 PM
 
621 posts, read 932,914 times
Reputation: 397
I know you believe your type to be good people. You called me arrogant, dismissive and ignorant because I didn't agree with you.

That's fine. You haven't swayed my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 03:49 PM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,285,970 times
Reputation: 3579
Myths and Facts About Marijuana
Quote:
Myth: Marijuana Causes an Amotivational Syndrome. Marijuana makes users passive, apathetic, and uninterested in the future. Students who use marijuana become underachievers and workers who use marijuana become unproductive.

Fact: For twenty-five years, researchers have searched for a marijuana-induced amotivational syndrome and have failed to find it. People who are intoxicated constantly, regardless of the drug, are unlikely to be productive members of society. There is nothing about marijuana specifically that causes people to lose their drive and ambition. In laboratory studies, subjects given high doses of marijuana for several days or even several weeks exhibit no decrease in work motivation or productivity. Among working adults, marijuana users tend to earn higher wages than non-users. College students who use marijuana have the same grades as nonusers. Among high school students, heavy use is associated with school failure, but school failure usually comes first.
see link for references
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Way upstate NY - Where the snow flys
1,130 posts, read 1,353,631 times
Reputation: 1217
I find it interesting a supposed attorney says on 11/15/09 he has practiced for 10 years. Yet on 1/4/10 he says he has practiced for 15 years. How time flys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2010, 01:26 PM
 
1,059 posts, read 1,631,356 times
Reputation: 1928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
The one thing I like about this:


Pot smokers are useless in a work setting and lack creativity and energy. I suggest for those looking to relax, to take some yoga, do meditation or EXERCISE!

(By the way, when I enjoy a wine...my drink doesn't spill into the body of the person next to me.)
Well I'm a 56 y/o who has put three children through college, has had a 6 figure income for the better of part of 25 years, and has managed to save enough to enjoy a comfortable retirement in a few more years. I am an FAA approved pilot and work in technology. I own two houses and pay my taxes as required.

I started smoking pot in HS when I was 14 and have smoked nearly every day since then. Your opinion on pot smokers in a work setting is absolute nonsense. You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I can tell you that you are woefully misinformed. Anybody who is working high or impaired in any way isn't going to be a good employee anyway. Pot has nothing to do with it. Your wine may not spill on the person next to you, but I too am a wine drinker BTW (nice Cabs, Zins, and blends) and you can become far more impaired for a longer period of time drinking wine than you ever can be smoking pot.

You may have your opinions and I have mine. But to make a blanket assumption about pot smokers is no more appropriate than making a blanket assumption about any other group of people. I would say I've had a pretty good career and been a responsible citizen. For anyone to assume that pot smokers smoke pot all day long and are therefore constantly high is as foolish as assuming that anybody who drinks alcohol at all is drunk all of the time. Exact same thing. Nonsense........

SoButCounty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top