U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 02:22 PM

621 posts, read 933,737 times

Advertisements

What are the dangers for young people?
One major concern about marijuana is its possible effects on young people as they grow up. Research shows that the earlier people start using drugs, the more likely they are to go on to experiment with other drugs. In addition, when young people start using marijuana regularly, they often lose interest and are not motivated to do their schoolwork. The effects of marijuana can interfere with learning by impairing thinking, reading comprehension, and verbal and mathematical skills. Research shows that students do not remember what they have learned when they are "high".
How does marijuana affect driving ability?
Driving experiments show that marijuana affects a wide range of skills needed for safe driving -- thinking and reflexes are slowed, making it hard for drivers to respond to sudden, unexpected events. Also, a driver's ability to "track" (stay in lane) through curves, to brake quickly, and to maintain speed and the proper distance between cars is affected. Research shows that these skills are impaired for at least 4-6 hours after smoking a single marijuana cigarette, long after the "high" is gone. If a person drinks alcohol, along with using marijuana, the risk of an accident greatly increases. Marijuana presents a definite danger on the road.
Does marijuana affect the human reproductive system?
Some research studies suggest that the use of marijuana during pregnancy may result in premature babies and in low birth weights. Studies of men and women may have a temporary loss of fertility. These findings suggest that marijuana may be especially harmful during adolescence, a period of rapid physical and sexual development.
How does marijuana affect the heart?
Marijuana use increases the heart rate as much as 50 percent, depending on the amount of THC. It can cause chest pain in people who have a poor blood supply to the heart - and it produces these effects more rapidly than tobacco smoke does.
How does marijuana affect the lungs?
Scientists believe that marijuana can be especially harmful to the lungs because users often inhale the unfiltered smoke deeply and hold it in their lungs as long as possible. Therefore, the smoke is in contact with lung tissues for long periods of time, which irritates the lungs and damages the way they work. Marijuana smoke contains some of the same ingredients in tobacco smoke that can cause emphysema and cancer. In addition, many marijuana users also smoke cigarettes; the combined effects of smoking these two substances creates an increased health risk.
Can marijuana cause cancer?
Marijuana smoke has been found to contain more cancer-causing agents than is found in tobacco smoke. Examination of human lung tissue that had been exposed to marijuana smoke over a long period of time in a laboratory showed cellular changes called metaplasia that are considered precancerous. In laboratory test, the tars from marijuana smoke have produced tumors when applied to animal skin. These studies suggest that it is likely that marijuana may cause cancer if used for a number of years.
How are people usually introduced to marijuana?
Many young people are introduced to marijuana by their peers - usually acquaintances, friends, sisters, and brothers. People often try drugs such as marijuana because they feel pressured by peers to be part of the group. Children must be taught how to say no to peer pressure to try drugs. Parents can get involved by becoming informed about marijuana and by talking to their children about drug use.
What is marijuana "burnout"?
"Burnout" is a term first used by marijuana smokers themselves to describe the effect of prolonged use. Young people who smoke marijuana heavily over long periods of time can become dull, slow moving, and inattentive. These "burned-out" users are sometimes so unaware of their surroundings that they do not respond when friends speak to them, and they do not realize they have a problem.
How long do chemicals from marijuana stay in the body after the drug is smoked?
When marijuana is smoked, THC, its active ingredient, is absorbed by most tissues and organs in the body; however, it is primarily found in fat tissues. The body, in its attempt to rid itself of the foreign chemical, chemically transforms the THC into metabolites. Urine tests can detect THC metabolites for up to a week after people have smoked marijuana. Tests involving radioactively labeled THC have traced these metabolites in animals for up to a month.
Source: National Institute on Drug Abuse, 1984.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 03:12 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,633,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
What are the dangers for young people?
One major concern about marijuana is its possible effects on young people
Source: National Institute on Drug Abuse, 1984.
Wow, Reagan era reefer madness! I'd be embarrassed to cite this as a source. Half truths & lies put forth by an institution with a vested interest in maintaining the drug war status quo. Sorry, no objectivity here. This is not a good source for truth about marijuana. It's not even close to reflecting current knowledge about the subject.

You'll have to do much better than that....

SoButCounty

Old 01-23-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Wow, Reagan era reefer madness! I'd be embarrassed to cite this as a source. Half truths & lies put forth by an institution with a vested interest in maintaining the drug war status quo. Sorry, no objectivity here. This is not a good source for truth about marijuana. It's not even close to reflecting current knowledge about the subject.

You'll have to do much better than that....

SoButCounty
OK, how about this.

In this day and age when the focus on removing dangerous things like "trans fat" and "cigarettes" are on the rise. WHY, would we fight to legalize another thing that can impair or harm the health of a person?

Now, there may be proof that marijuana doesn't harm YOU, but it can harm others. Making it legal improves this chance.

Honestly, I don't give a rat's behind what you do to kill yourself or shorten your life. But the same people trying to legalize their drug, judge others on their addiction. Prescription drugs, cigarettes, alcohol.... The only reason pot is better, according to YOU, is that YOU are safer.

Making pot legal will add more opportunity for people to drive under the influence, ski under the influence, and potentially watch kids under the influence.

there are reports of many people who died due to people driving under the influence of drugs. I'm sure marijuana is included in this statistic, but I'm not sure if they track it.

If they do, I could get you an accurate count. My brother started his own car on fire when he was a teen. He thought he threw his joint out the window, but the window was closed and his car was destroyed.

Smoking a joint in a car.... Hmmm. I've actually seen that at Wal-mart just last year. They drove away when they realized I was walking up to them.

Driving on the roads, under the influence of marijuana is dangerous.

Oh, yes it is.

It also can get unsuspecting people high. Most pot smokers I know are indignant about their pot. They feel like they are more "in tuned" with things and that those who don't smoke pot are out of touch.

Keep it in your home like you have. Deal with your drug dealers and smoke yourself silly. I don't want it legalized so I can be sure it stays in YOUR home.

In this day and age of goaling to improve our health, making it legal (except for medicinal purposes) is a step in the wrong direction.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:33 PM

Hmmmm.......

So then you agree that imprisoning responsible adults for what they put in their bodies makes sense? The US has a fraction of the world's population and 25% of it's prisoners. Mostly due to the war on drugs. Does that make you a proud american to say that we imprison more of our citizens than any other country on earth? So I gather you believe that the government should protect us from all things that we might do to ourselves???? Can you say "nanny government"? I surmise that as a responsible adult concerned about nutrition I should know enough to avoid transfats & cigarettes, I don't need a law to protect me from them.

Should your brother have been thrown in jail for his indiscretion? Should he have had a criminal record to follow him around for a good part of his life hurting his career opportunities? So was it the pot that makes people do these things or is it the choices that people make? I'll give you a clue here....... you can't fix stupid. All of your concerns about impaired driving, skiing, etc... what in the world makes you think that's not already the case? People need to be responsible for their own actions. Illegality doesn't stop people from doing stupid things any more than legality does. None of the "chicken little sky is falling" predictions for places that have decriminalized have happened. Trust me, nobody has any interest in blowing bong hits your way any more than they want to pour a glass of cabernet down your throat against your will... you're just fear mongering.

You can't lie to young people as they grow up about pot and expect them to follow the party line when based upon their own use, they know it's a benign substance. Truthful education is the key if we expect to keep our children from using these substances.

Like it or not, as a country and as a society, we can no longer afford to keep doing this. Neither I nor those other responsible adults who smoke in their homes advocate children partaking in smoking pot anymore than we would condone their drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes. To deny it's use to responsible adults & turn them into criminals in turn, is war on the citizens of this country. But you don't keep harmful things out of children's hands by lying and prohibiting, you do it with regulation (control.... not prohibition) and honest education. Criminalizing causes more harm than the substances themselves.

The tide is turning quickly and you will see continued easing of laws across the country over the next decade. You know why.... because more people die from aspirin & Tylenol overdoses every year than die from smoking pot, or should they be prohibited as well?

SoButCounty

Old 01-23-2010, 05:49 PM

People who want to be impaired are altering their reality and lack the ability to cope naturally.

I really don't are what ANYONE does to their own bodies. I do care what they do to others.

Pot isn't good for you. It may not kill you, but it impairs you and that causes danger to other people. I'm not for nannying YOUR health. I don't want any more people at risk.

YES. People are still impaired now, but they have more discretion since it's illegal. From what I already know of pot smokers, making it legal will make it worse.

I don't believe that people should be jailed for having pot in their home, provided they are not dealing and provided they have no children that can gain access to it.

This is really the way it is right now. How many people are jailed for pot found in small amounts in their home? Not many anymore. Police look past that. That's completely a-ok with me.

The people who get caught are out and about with pot in their cars and smoking pot on the sidewalk...or dealing it.

I like things the way they are. YOU had no problem keeping up with your drug addiction while illegal, why change it?

EXCEPT:
I want Cannibus growing legalized in this country for the good things that the plant offers. Potheads that want to get laced, stoned, baked....ruin that. Cannibus has healthy attributes, especially in nutrition and fabric.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:04 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,292,593 times
Quote:
(By the way, when I enjoy a wine...my drink doesn't spill into the body of the person next to me.)
Quote:
People who want to be impaired are altering their reality and lack the ability to cope naturally.
Do you lack the ability to cope naturally? You did mention that you enjoy drinking wine. Wine is alcohol and alcohol is a drug that impairs thinking, judgement and perception of reality.

Your glass of wine might not spill into the body of the person next to you but alcohol has been proven over and over again to have very serious consequences for users and non-users alike. It's a major contributing factor in cases of domestic violence, sexual assault and other violent crime. Marijuana is not.

Alcohol is by far the more dangerous drug of the two to both individuals and society as whole. If we're going to allow alcohol to remain a legal and socially acceptable option then I don't see any reason to continue to label people who choose a safer option, "criminals".

Old 01-23-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Do you lack the ability to cope naturally? You did mention that you enjoy drinking wine. Wine is alcohol and alcohol is a drug that impairs thinking, judgement and perception of reality.

Your glass of wine might not spill into the body of the person next to you but alcohol has been proven over and over again to have very serious consequences for users and non-users alike. It's a major contributing factor in cases of domestic violence, sexual assault and other violent crime. Marijuana is not.

Alcohol is by far the more dangerous drug of the two to both individuals and society as whole. If we're going to allow alcohol to remain a legal and socially acceptable option then I don't see any reason to continue to label people who choose a safer option, "criminals".
You make good points.

Marijuana has only been studied for a around 3 decades, so I believe that the negative effects will come out over time, just as they did with alcohol and cigarette smoke. But perhaps I'll be wrong.

Is there a method of doing the drug without smoking it that would not have a hallucinogenic effect?

Old 01-23-2010, 09:27 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,292,593 times
Quote:
You make good points.

Marijuana has only been studied for a around 3 decades, so I believe that the negative effects will come out over time, just as they did with alcohol and cigarette smoke. But perhaps I'll be wrong.
You might find the latest research regarding lung cancer and marijuana interesting. Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection - washingtonpost.com

Quote:
The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to lung cancer.

The new findings "were against our expectations," said Donald Tashkin of the University of California at Los Angeles, a pulmonologist who has studied marijuana for 30 years.

"We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."
Quote:
Is there a method of doing the drug without smoking it that would not have a hallucinogenic effect?
The group of drugs labeled as hallucinogenic is a diverse one and most do not consistently cause hallucinations but rather, changes in mood or in thought. Marijuana does not typically produce hallucinations.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
You might find the latest research regarding lung cancer and marijuana interesting. Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection - washingtonpost.com

The group of drugs labeled as hallucinogenic is a diverse one and most do not consistently cause hallucinations but rather, changes in mood or in thought. Marijuana does not typically produce hallucinations.

This is interesting info. Thanks.

The question relative to hallucinogenic effects was whether there is a way to allow administrate Marijuana without smoking it.

I read that injecting the resin creates a hallucinogenic effect, which is different from the effect from smoking.

Does all ingestion (other than smoking) cause a hallucinogenic effect?

Is it effective without the smoke?

Old 01-24-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
This is interesting info. Thanks.

The question relative to hallucinogenic effects was whether there is a way to allow administrate Marijuana without smoking it.

I read that injecting the resin creates a hallucinogenic effect, which is different from the effect from smoking.

Does all ingestion (other than smoking) cause a hallucinogenic effect?

Is it effective without the smoke?
It is not necessary to smoke it. It can be ingested or vaporized as well. Small electric vaporizers are available which will heat the material to a point to release the effective ingredient vapors without causing it to burn and generate smoke. Many medical users do this. It can also be ingested in any number of ways including baked goods. It can also be cooked down into butter (because the active ingredients are fat soluble) and spread on toast or anything else that you like to eat. I have never found it to be hallucinogenic in any way and really have no desire to be so high as to be non-functional. That's one of the advantages of enjoying cannabis, you can enjoy it in moderation and the effects wear off very quickly and without ill after effects unlike alcohol.

Cannabis is a very mild substance that when used in moderation, provides a pleasant relaxed state of mind. For me, it causes a higher degree of intellectual curiousity and the result is that I spend more time reading, writing, and listening to my favorite music. Very relaxing indeed....

SoButCounty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado