U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:30 AM

23 posts, read 70,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
If there's work in Pittsburgh/Squirrel Hill, housing is very very cheap. Pittsburgh is culturally way further ahead than it used to be, and the hills make for a rather scenic setting. Yes, the weather is very Midwestern- cold winters, humid summers. But you can't beat the housing costs. (I lived there a long time ago, and kept track of a friend who stayed there. Squirrel Hill was always desirable).
----------------
Well we checked out Pittsburgh last month and they had not been hit by the housing downfall much AT ALL -- almost no movement pricewise or otherwise so it's not all that cheap. To other places that are overpriced like Calif. and Boston, etc. yes, but not in general. At least not to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Get this right--most of Colorado is not "walkable". Its metro areas were built mostly after WWII, when automobile dominance became the norm. There are some small enclaves in the metro blobs that may be marginally walkable, but they are just that--small enclaves in a huge automobile-dependent mass. Even a lot of Colorado small towns have gotten "Wal-mart-ized"--their walkable downtowns decimated by big-box and strip mall commercial developments--all automobile-dependent. All of that is one of Colorado's most glaring failures as a state and as a community. Certainly not unique to Colorado, but we could have done better. Instead, we've followed and continue to follow the stupid developer sheep that are wrecking the whole United States.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:11 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Seems walkability is directly proportional to COL. Aspen, Boulder and Durango are all great walking towns. To Jazzlover's point, they may be the only ones that can support kitschy little shops and eateries and whose small businesses haven't been clobbered by the chains.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:50 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times
Parts of Pueblo are walkable as we have the states second largest extended urban area.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:15 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,165,370 times
To find a good walkable area in the metro area. You have to look at:

1. The availability of a good basic supermarket like King Soopers.

2. Good Public transportation. I think that living near a light rail station extents your "walkable neighhborhood" to any other businesses that are near any other convenient station. A good frequent bus on the busier routes, like Broadway and Colfax is much better than the less serviced routes.

3. The nearby convenient availability of basic shopping like Walmart, Target or even a mall which still has a general merchandise store as Sears or a good value store as Penny's. I like also to have a good hardware store. I am not impressed by walkable areas of overpriced fake store that sell luxury items and restaurants that cater to the new rich. They are nice and do service some people but you still need basic shopping.

4. It would be a plus to have good medical services and exceptional if there is a hospital--but that is difficult in most areas.

5. Good schools but that is somewhat subjective on your wishes. A nice elementary school is walkable in many areas but maybe not all schools through middle and high school.

Saying all that what do I think are good walkable neighborhoods. Many have mentioned olde town Arvada. I am very familiar with that area. What it lacks is any basic grocery shopping--in fact, it has none. The nearest shopping is west on 58th and Independence. There are some good shopping in the olde town and good public transit. Schools are walkable. It has a nice library. I would extent the walkable areas to include neighborhoods along West 58th to include the extensive parks along Ralston Creek and the shopping at Independence.

Old town Littleton has a good light rail station but beyond that there is not much basic shopping. The nearest grocery stores are off of Santa Fe or Broadway. There is absolutely no grocery stores within the good residential neighborhoods between these two streets and none along West Littleton Blvd. Much has to do with restrictive planning department which does not encourage development. If I lived there, I would live closer to Broadway as it has an excellent frequent bus and availability of stores. It would also be better to live west of Littleton in the Columbine area where you can find good public transit and basic shopping. I think the area near Wadsworth and Bowles can provide some good neighborhoods, especially near the Southwest Mall. Of course living near the rail station in Littleton can bring you up quickly to the shopping along any of the rail stations and the Littleton stations have feeder buses that extent out to southwest Jefferson County and Columbine.

One of the best walkable areas is the City of Englewood. It is the first transit oriented development with a commuter rail station. You have a Walmart, a King Soopers and other assorted stores nearby. You have access to the Broadway Bus that can take you further to shopping along Broadway and the nice shops, restaurants in the Baker Neighborhood of Denver. There is a free shuttle that will take you east and west near old Hampden and right there is one of the best hospital--Swedish with the associated clinics and medical offices.

I do not think you have to have a new development to be walkable. Any good supermarket with good strip businesses can be considered walkable in any neighborhood. It is especially good if it is a transit connection point with many buses. I find the Bear Valley Shopping Center (Dartmouth and Sheridan) as walkable because it has a King Soopers; the Denver Library across the street; it has transit connection. Also it is along one of the biggest parks and trails in the area--Bear Creek. There are many such neighborhoods with basic shopping that are walkable. They are little known; they are maybe not the "bragging addresses" but they serve a good purpose. Yes, there are even some with Whole Foods, if that is your wants. There are also some that are in transition from older less desirable neighborhoods to the rebuilt and gentrified. But you got to get out of your car and off the highways to find and experience the best of the Denver area.

Livecontent

Old 12-04-2009, 10:42 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Old Town Louisville is fairly walkable. There is a Safeway shopping center on S. Boulder Rd. that can be walked into. The shopping center has a Walgreen's, a laundromat, liquor store, a restaurant, a post office branch, a bank, and a few other shops. The public library is downtown, along with a lot of little restaurants, coffee shops and boutiquey-type places. Actually, there is a good part of Louisville that is walkable to these places.

There is bus service, both intercity and intracity down S. Boulder Rd and in downtown Louisville. It is possible to get to Avista Hospital and the medical offices on the bus. Louisville Ele. is on the west side of downtown, and Louisville Middle School is north of downtown. Lots of middle school kids walk and/or take the RTD. The high school is accessible by city bus from downtown, and most of the kids have school bus service. The rec center is a far walk from downtown, but it is still walkable.

Just another place to think about.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:18 AM

2,185 posts, read 3,890,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastofdurango View Post
We are selling our house and getting out of Texas.
Need to find a town where our daughter - 15 and us can walk -- to the library, bank, school, post office, movies, etc...

What are the best areas -- I am self employed and work from home and my husband is microsoft and comp-tia certified computer support person who will be looking for work.

We need a town with a GOOD HIGH SCHOOL - our daughter is taking college-level course in 10th grade, walk-around neighborhood and something we can afford.

Our joint income averages about $65,000 so we are not talking big city/luxury but convenience and safety.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks!
First I want to tell you that you are making a very smart choice getting out of Texas.

I went to Cherry Creek, you can't get any better than that in Denver.
That's where I am going to send my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or