Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 02:42 PM

760 posts, read 874,193 times

Advertisements

I find it kind of fascinating how the altitude can affect certain people.

I grew up most of my life near sea level (Great Lakes - 600ish Feet). When I have friends come visit, they always have a miserable first day or two. BUT, I think the majority of the problem are a result of lack of water. I drink about 2 gallons a day here, and I have never had any altitude sickness problems, besides breathing. My friends will kind of increase their water intake once they get here, but you really need to start a few days before your trip. It's amazing to see how little water the average human drinks in a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 09:20 PM

468 posts, read 792,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Hangovers are so bad in Colorado that I can feel tinny and want to faint. Also worth noting that when you drop down to another altitude and drink that can affect things too. I've gone on business trips to Texas where I get the same feeling because it's a rush down altitude affect. So be careful drinking in Denver.
No worries about too much partying. I am too old for too many wild nights. A natural high from more oxygen though? I am down with that.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:58 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,434,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I find it interesting that people like to downplay the mental health factor of a city at high elevation. Literally, people can act CRAZY out here when they're drunk and make oddball decisions. And less oxygen to the brain makes people more aloof and look like they're constantly having more accelerated breathing for more air. They say drink more water but it's to a point where you're going to the bathroom constantly.

Hangovers are so bad in Colorado that I can feel tinny and want to faint. Also worth noting that when you drop down to another altitude and drink that can affect things too. I've gone on business trips to Texas where I get the same feeling because it's a rush down altitude affect. So be careful drinking in Denver.

I'm in L.A. on a trip where I used to live. Been here since Monday and my overall mood has stabilized and I'm sleeping a lot better. Unfortunately I might have to leave Denver and return out here for sanity sake. Great city but might not be for me.
The research has shown no difference in the ability to process alcohol at elevation.

Dehydration however is real and you would be far more likely to experience that in Las Vegas and Denver.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:28 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,790,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The research has shown no difference in the ability to process alcohol at elevation.

Dehydration however is real and you would be far more likely to experience that in Las Vegas and Denver.
Perhaps but: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/09/0...th/02real.html

Lags in some respects - whether booze is to blame is still a data point of some sort with regards to motor abilities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado