Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 02:21 PM

26 posts, read 55,074 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are making a cross country trip (Boston to Sacramento) in mid September, one leg is arriving into Denver via I-76 then headed North on I-25 into Wyoming and finally a quick left onto I-80 headed towards Salt Lake City. Currently I have summer tires on my vehicle, will I be OK or should I worry about temps. below 40 degrees and snow?

Reliability wise, not too worried. Vehicle is a 2015 Audi S4 AWD with less than 15,000. 24/7 Audi roadside assistance. Can't wait to use that supercharger in the mountains!

Figured of all places, Colorado might be the place I run into cooler weather and potentially snow depending on my route. If I need to throw on all seasons, that's not a problem, but the car is soooo much more fun with summer tires on. At the end of the day, safety>fun.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 02:44 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,720,528 times
You "should" be fine in September, though there could be an early snowstorm, you just have to check weather reports. Your car and tires will be fine. At that time of year any snow should be gone in a hurry, COLO DOT does a good job on the interstate highways.

IMO taking I-70 west out of Denver will show you some of the most incredible scenery in the nation. I've driven both and I-80 is decent but rather boring and a truck route. If you do take I-70 consider stopping at Vail for lunch, it's gorgeous up there. If late September you may even see some Aspen trees turn golden, a sight for sure.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:07 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,444,157 times
I've had 2 S4s. I forgot to switch to my winter tires one year when I usually do and and early snow came. I've driven the S4 in several winter driving schools and I have to say that driving that car in snow with high performance summer tires was absolutely terrifying. Plan accordingly.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:08 PM

588 posts, read 556,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB07 View Post
My wife and I are making a cross country trip (Boston to Sacramento) in mid September, one leg is arriving into Denver via I-76 then headed North on I-25 into Wyoming and finally a quick left onto I-80 headed towards Salt Lake City. Currently I have summer tires on my vehicle, will I be OK or should I worry about temps. below 40 degrees and snow?

Reliability wise, not too worried. Vehicle is a 2015 Audi S4 AWD with less than 15,000. 24/7 Audi roadside assistance. Can't wait to use that supercharger in the mountains!

Figured of all places, Colorado might be the place I run into cooler weather and potentially snow depending on my route. If I need to throw on all seasons, that's not a problem, but the car is soooo much more fun with summer tires on. At the end of the day, safety>fun.

Thanks!
Why not just stay on I80? You're adding time to your drive getting off of 80 just to get back on?

And I agree with Mike, going the I70 route you will get stunning views of the Rockies...Utah that route is spectacular as well.

Also, be sure to stop at the Bonneville Salt Flats west of Salt Lake.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:32 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
You "should" be fine in September, though there could be an early snowstorm, you just have to check weather reports. Your car and tires will be fine. At that time of year any snow should be gone in a hurry, COLO DOT does a good job on the interstate highways.

IMO taking I-70 west out of Denver will show you some of the most incredible scenery in the nation. I've driven both and I-80 is decent but rather boring and a truck route. If you do take I-70 consider stopping at Vail for lunch, it's gorgeous up there. If late September you may even see some Aspen trees turn golden, a sight for sure.
Yeah, the general rule of thumb is the third week in September is the best Aspen viewing time. This is three years old but I don't think anything has changed: When’s the best time to see Colorado fall foliage? | FOX31 Denver

Old 07-23-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Thanks for the heads up on I-80, that sounds like a good switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I've had 2 S4s. I forgot to switch to my winter tires one year when I usually do and and early snow came. I've driven the S4 in several winter driving schools and I have to say that driving that car in snow with high performance summer tires was absolutely terrifying. Plan accordingly.

That was mid Sept? I have Blizzaks that were just purchased this past season, but that sounds unnecessary. does the likely hood of snow increase if I take I-70 out of Denver towards Vail instead of north into WY then west? I'd assume yes, but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Why not just stay on I80? You're adding time to your drive getting off of 80 just to get back on?

And I agree with Mike, going the I70 route you will get stunning views of the Rockies...Utah that route is spectacular as well.

Also, be sure to stop at the Bonneville Salt Flats west of Salt Lake.
But then no Denver....... and yes, the Salt Flats for sure! Thanks.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:

That was mid Sept? I have Blizzaks that were just purchased this past season, but that sounds unnecessary. does the likely hood of snow increase if I take I-70 out of Denver towards Vail instead of north into WY then west? I'd assume yes, but who knows.

It was early October in the mountains. If it were me, I wouldn't sweat it too much, but check the weather and if snow is in the forecast, change your route. My post was meant to tell you that if there is snow, the S4 on high performance summer tires is really squirrelly.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,569 posts, read 57,493,759 times
Quote:

PERFECT!!! No Denver!!!

on I-80...(drive Evanston to Saratoga in the dark (nothing to see), then stop for the FREE Hobo hot springs, then Substitute your time in Denver with a very NICE and fun trip over Snowy Range!!! (Between Saratoga and Centennial)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...l_Wyoming.html

Snowy Range Scenic Byway | Travel Wyoming. That's WY

https://www.google.com/search?q=snow...w=1284&bih=796

+ Vedauwoo will be an I-80 bonus! (2 min off I-80)
https://www.google.com/search?q=veda...w=1284&bih=796

That said... Aspen are (can be) great on I-70, so.... if you have a lot of time.. take I-70 east to exit 232, then north on 40 / 125 to Saratoga / Snowy Range. (bonus of this route is Encampment, WY, excellent museum / terrain and well worth missing CO front range traffic.

alternatives: 131 north to Steamboat (near Eagle)
9 North to Kremmling

34 over Trail Ridge RMNP and into Estes Park (if still open..., depends on snow)

Tires are not an issue, I survived 30 yrs of daily trips in CO mtns w/o AWD and without winter tires. and very few maintained / 4 lane roads, and certainly no cell phones. (and VERY beater vehicles... as I shudder to think of the ancient school buses we took over Loveland pass to go skiing). CO Snow is usually crunchy and good traction (Fall / Spring snow can be heavy and wet, but will be GONE in a few hours)

Old 07-24-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
PERFECT!!! No Denver!!!

on I-80...(drive Evanston to Saratoga in the dark (nothing to see), then stop for the FREE Hobo hot springs, then Substitute your time in Denver with a very NICE and fun trip over Snowy Range!!! (Between Saratoga and Centennial)

That said... Aspen are (can be) great on I-70, so.... if you have a lot of time.. take I-70 east to exit 232, then north on 40 / 125 to Saratoga / Snowy Range. (bonus of this route is Encampment, WY, excellent museum / terrain and well worth missing CO front range traffic.

9 North to Kremmling

34 over Trail Ridge RMNP and into Estes Park (if still open..., depends on snow)

Tires are not an issue, I survived 30 yrs of daily trips in CO mtns w/o AWD and without winter tires. and very few maintained / 4 lane roads, and certainly no cell phones. (and VERY beater vehicles... as I shudder to think of the ancient school buses we took over Loveland pass to go skiing). CO Snow is usually crunchy and good traction (Fall / Spring snow can be heavy and wet, but will be GONE in a few hours)
High performance summer Z rated tires are not the tires you drove on I'm guessing. The rubber turns rock hard in cold weather and there is not deep tread for snow. I have raced cars on frozen lakes, taken multiple winter driving clinics instructed by professional drivers and driving in snow on Z rated tires is asking for trouble...... But I'm sure I'm just bad at driving and you would be fine in a 340 horsepower car with racing slicks in the snow.

That said, late sept should be just fine.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
PERFECT!!! No Denver!!!

9 North to Kremmling

Thanks for the pointers! we do a lot of time, so this sounds nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
High performance summer Z rated tires are not the tires you drove on I'm guessing. The rubber turns rock hard in cold weather and there is not deep tread for snow. I have raced cars on frozen lakes, taken multiple winter driving clinics instructed by professional drivers and driving in snow on Z rated tires is asking for trouble...... But I'm sure I'm just bad at driving.

That said, late sept should be just fine.
Thanks, SkyDog77. You're right, anything below 45 degrees and I can start to feel the summers slip. The S4 with winter tires is an absolute animal of a sedan. Drove it through 10" unplowed with no problem, just had the snow plow issue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado