U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 06:56 PM

6 posts, read 50,116 times

Advertisements

Hey,
I'm going to be out in the Denver area in about a week to see my girlfriend (truthfully, I plan to propose to her on the trip). I am looking for a good scenic overlook between Denver and Fort Collins that we could drive to at night and see the stars as well as the lights of the city. Any ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:03 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,439,786 times
There's not much high ground between Denver and Fort Collins because the area is pretty flat. If you're looking to see the lights of a city, I'd try Lookout Mountain west of Denver or Horsetooth Reservoir west of Fort Collins.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:12 PM

Well, I was assuming that I would have to drive up into the mountains. What's the atmosphere like up there on Lookout?

Old 11-18-2009, 09:13 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjschaal View Post
Well, I was assuming that I would have to drive up into the mountains. What's the atmosphere like up there on Lookout?
Thin ... you'd better take oxygen

Old 11-18-2009, 09:33 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,107,697 times
Like many folks, I don't think the OP realizes how far away Denver is from any actual mountains. If you want to be able to look right down on a sizable city from above, try Boulder or the hills west of Ft. Collins. OR, head south, to COS. If the Cheyenne Mtn. Zoo is still open at night, that could be a great spot. Pike's Peak affords the best view in the state without a hefty hike, but you can't get up there after sunset.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:30 AM

2,253 posts, read 5,835,868 times
Wink Above Bouder

Try Flagstaff mountain, directly behind and west of Boulder, CO. There is a city park at the top of it with magnificent views to the west and especially to east out over Boulder below and plains beyond. Lovely day or night, and if at night with the the radiance of the town's lights cast out below. There are many good vantages, one of the best being the small amphitheater at the far west edge.

It is a simple matter to get there. Simply find the major artery of Baseline Rd and travel west on it as it climbs gradually past the residences of town, past Chautauqua, to then climb with a purpose up the mountain. Perhaps one-third up you'll pass the fine Flagstaff restaurant on your right; it has not only good food but floor to ceiling windows that make the most of its location and view. You might know the Park at the top because the road acts as if to crest over, with to your right the drive of this Park with signs denoting it. It is but a short drive from that junction, with lots of parking, in some spots with great views.

You may have to improvise, however. What was once free and clear now has regulations; this Park may be closed come winter, or at least at certain times of night. If it were, one could still hike in, but there is a steel gate at the road junction entrance. One could check with Boulder Parks and Recreation in advance. There is also now a small fee to use this Park.

Otherwise, there are certain spots on the drive up which are rather lovely as well. But the top is the best and, even if you do not use it for this intended purpose, well worth the visit.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 AM

Thank you! I was just looking at some reviews of Flagstaff, and it looks AMAZING!

Old 11-19-2009, 10:59 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,182,664 times
Congratulations! I was also thinking of Flagstaff Mountain in Boulder and suggest Panorama Point. The parking area overlooks the city of Boulder and the city lights. It is the first parking area on the right as you climb the steep portion of the road at the beginning (about a half mile up?). It is a fee area now, I think parking is $3. I do not know if it is open at night but I would imagine it is.
When she says yes you could proceed to the Flagstaff House to celebrate. It's expensive to dine there, so if you don't have the $$$$ you could have a glass of celebratory champagne at the bar. Just don't drink too much, the road back down can be a little "scary" in the dark!

Old 11-19-2009, 01:38 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,473,188 times
Regardless of where you go and if you get the right scenic overlook, congratulations to you both! Wanting to ask and hearing yes beats any view you might find. Nice to hear there are still some romantics who are willing to speak up~

Old 11-19-2009, 02:05 PM

249 posts, read 625,757 times
There's always that scenic overlook on 36 looking towards Long's Peak and Boulder. It's not IN the mountains but has a view OF the mountains and the lights of Boulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado