Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:41 PM

631 posts, read 1,575,242 times

Advertisements

Okay so when I talk to most cityscape fanatics about skylines and the like most people automatically think of Denver and it's vast abundance of towers, some people reference Colorado Springs, and a few locals will mention either Boulder and/or the Interlocken district in Broomfield. HOWEVER there are a few other places that might have a 'skyline'. My home, Longmont, sadly isn't one of them. Fort Collins, Grand Junction, Pueblo, Lakewood, Thornton, and maybe even Aurora all have something that could be called a skyline or a cityscape. But despite it's size, location, and the vast job opportunities here, Longmont has pretty much nothing that would be classified as a cityscape aside from a few very sparse 'towers' (check my albums for pics) and what i want to know is why people always overlook Longmont in almost every way and think of either Boulder or Denver? And why is it that every possible new development (especially those going skyward, and excepting residential ones) always end up in Denver? Also, which city do you think would have the most unique skyline based on location, environment, and employment opportunities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 09:37 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Big towers are expensive to build and only make sense where land is relatively scarce and expensive.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:44 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,932 times
Most areas do not want high buildings. Longmont zoning may not allow them. Just some thoughts

Old 11-08-2009, 10:59 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
I have never understood Longmont. You never hear anything about that town, it kind of seems like a sleepy little bedroom city between Denver and Fort Collins. If I had to guess as to why would be location. They are right in the middle of Denver and Fort Collins and Boulder so the other cities kind of take their thunder. I don't mean any disrespect for anyone who lives in that town but that is how I have viewed it.

As far as sky lines right now to be honest the only city with a great sky line is Denver. Two cities I would follow in the coming century is Pueblo and Colorado Springs.

First Pueblo: Before the economic collapse in the 1980's that city almost had sky scrapers then before this latest economic downturn it almost had a 23 and 17 story one. In fact even today Pueblo could get two hotels over 10 stories next year in downtown. As time goes on and the economy recovers and alternative energy becomes a stronger industry in Pueblo I would not be surprised if it had a nice little skyline with some buildings over 20 stories and maybe even 30.

Now Colorado Springs:

For years they had a height limit on their downtown buildings so it was next to impossible to get one passed zoning. My understanding is that is no longer the case so as the economy recovers I would not be surprised if they get a few sky scrapers.

This is the new zoning map for downtown Colorado Springs:

http://www.springsgov.com/Files/Form...ector_8x11.pdf

Old 11-11-2009, 02:03 PM

345 posts, read 973,968 times
I can see more taller buildings 20+ stories being built in the DTC. Land is starting to get scarce near I25.

Josseppie:
I don't see Pueblo getting any high rises anytime soon. The keyword in your statements is *almost*. I think a best case scenario with downtown Pueblo is a series of low rise developments capping at 15 stories. It will create a walkable and pleasant environment. The last time I was in DT Pueblo I didn't see any reason to stay...it was pretty dead.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:17 PM

I think Pueblo has just as good of chance as getting a highrise above 20 stories as the tech center in Denver does....

Old 11-12-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I think Pueblo has just as good of chance as getting a highrise above 20 stories as the tech center in Denver does....
Tell you what. If Pueblo gets one before the tech center I'll buy you dinner.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:50 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Grand Junction has a skyline? Have you even visited here? Do you even live in Colorado? It seems like you're just pulling random city names out of a hat.

Denver has a city skyline. Colorado Springs has a small one. No place else in Colorado has something that I call a skyline.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Grand Junction has a skyline? Have you even visited here? Do you even live in Colorado? It seems like you're just pulling random city names out of a hat.

Denver has a city skyline. Colorado Springs has a small one. No place else in Colorado has something that I call a skyline.
The tech center sort of has one. The parking lot for the King Soopers at Yosemite and Belleview has a decent view.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:14 AM

Pueblo would have a small sky line like Colorado Springs as we have buildings that top 15 stories if not for the fact our downtown sits in a bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado