U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 10:35 PM

82 posts, read 506,258 times

Advertisements

Well...
We are from Long Island, and my limited experience tells me that CT is LI's close cousin -- Slightly bigger, slightly wealthier, slightly dirtier, and with a few small mountains and some hills. And one really nice interstate.

The real reason we want to leave LI is because of the the culture and the people. High strung, hyper-materialistic, emotionally and intellectually stunted, and crass all at once. They're rude. Angry. Entitled. Apathetic. Gaudy. I could go on. Cost of living isn't the concern here.

I know all places have their share, but LI is a true exemplar. I've travelled around quite a bit; I know.

So, tell me how CT is better. I'm listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proeye
I have your solution... MOVE TO CONNECTICUT! Teachers make on average $60,000 a year and if you want to be a principal they make on average $100,000+. It's no joke, I could show you the website that shows the salaries across the state. Cost of living is not THAT much higher here than Denver so you two would be making out like bandits--especially if you two were principals. Why not make $200,000 between the two of you? heh...

Hey, I moved here because of opportunity. I don't look at the cost of living, I look at how much potential there is. I probably make 3 times what I would have in Colorado... My wife and I decided that even if we didn't like it here we could always fly anywhere we wanted on this kind of salary... It is so easy to get to an airport here...

I'm going to say this again and again and again until all of you in every forum is sick of me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 05:34 AM

827 posts, read 4,553,608 times
I just have to say something. Maybe you can make more up in CT but I'd choose Colorado anyday. Why? My good friend lives up in CT and I hear about the cloudy, chilly days and how he longed for some sunshine. About how it costs an arm and a leg to live there even though you might make more but taxes are eating his salary up there in CT. He worries about an atomic dirty bomb going off in NYC and affecting him. He worries that the pollution from NY is causing the acid rains and dirty rains that are harming him. In Colorado, you can still get fresh air, fresh water and it is sunny most of the time. It does cost for homes but according to what my friend in CT says, the houses are higher in costs then in CO. All I will say is this, go visit the best place in CT then go visit Colorado. I have a feeling I know what your answer will be.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:58 PM

119 posts, read 631,672 times
There is a place for everyone. Not everyone can like CO or CT for that matter. I love both CO and CT for their own unique reasons. I love CT because it's.......well....it's home. But really, I love CT for the summers. I love swimming and even though humidity stinks....I somehow like going out at night and feeling nice and warm. I can't stand the winters here. They drag on and on forever. The roads turn icy and dangerous. I can live with the snow....it's actually a lot easier to drive in. And of course playing in it is fun. But the humidity mixed with freezing temps are not a good thing. I LOVE the fall here. There's nothing like fall foliage of all colors of the rainbow and the crisp air and country fairs in all parts of the state.

The cons about CT is that it's hard to get ahead. I can stay in my house where I am and be fine, but we don't want to live where we are cuz we just don't like our neighbors, it's far from everything and our yard needs a lot of $$$$. We've already put a ton into the interior of the home, but there's much more cash to dish out. We are hard-working, honest people. Our salaries together are great, but you'd never know it. We are not big spenders. We don't go out to eat all the time. We have two kids and two dogs. I hardly ever splurge on myself or go clothes shopping and yet it seems like we're trying to make ends meet sometimes. Gas is now $3.22/gl for REGULAR. That alone is a killer. Oil is $2.59/gal. That means I'll be dishing out around $2,100 for the season Nov-Apr.. My husband works all this overtime and he still comes home with a check that's similar to one if he worked less hours......it's the **** taxes they take out here. I spend $4,000/year on my house taxes. My house is less that 2,000 sf. Its age....1963. If I want to move out of where I am.....it's almost impossible. I'll get into a house that has an average age of 30-40 years old......needs a lot of work and is only 1,500 sf. For people like us (not doctors and not wealthy by any means) it's not easy living here. It's a trap, especially after the housing market in the past few years. Like I've said in other threads. My husband will be making the same $$$ out in CO. We can live in a NEW home that will cost even less than what we'd expect to pay here, pay less taxes and less all around. That's the opportunity we're going after. Not to mention my brother already lives out there. That just makes it more inviting.

Oh and another thing about owning an older home in CT.......the musty basements.....anything you store in your basement smells and gets wet (just from the air) even with a dehumidifier. Oh yeah and the BUGS. People start thinking you have turret (sp????) syndrome when you can't stand outside and enjoy playing a simple softball game without waving your hands across your face constantly trying to smack the bugs away. THAT's ANNOYING let me tell you. Ok, I'm done blabbin'.

Last edited by Marka; 08-01-2006 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 08-01-2006, 12:05 AM

827 posts, read 4,553,608 times
"Oh yeah and the BUGS. People start thinking you have turret (sp????) syndrome when you can't stand outside and enjoy playing a simple softball game without waving your hands across your face constantly trying to smack the bugs away."

That is funny Curious in CT! I seem to have the same problem here in Phoenix with all the heat!

Old 08-01-2006, 08:42 PM

Thanks for feeling my pain Crackerjack.... **** BUGS!!

Old 08-01-2006, 09:58 PM

10,695 posts, read 28,597,503 times
I grew up on the east coast. My kids have never seen a real lightning bug.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:48 PM

You mean there aren't any out there? What about gnats and mosquitos? I actually admire lightening bugs. I used to take a jar and collect them. I then had my own flash light in a jar....except it would turn on, turn off, turn on, turn off!!! LOL

Old 08-02-2006, 07:19 PM

10,695 posts, read 28,597,503 times
nope been here 17 years. gnats, a few, mosquitos, a few more. We do not have the bugs you do because it is not humid, and we don't have a lot of standing water...we do have big sky and large mountains.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:58 PM

Oh to be in a place with hardly any bugs. Big sky large mountains, here I come. Lightening bugs, I'll miss you. BOO HOO

Old 08-03-2006, 11:26 PM

23 posts, read 70,035 times
How bad are the fleas there???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado