U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 11:13 PM

82 posts, read 505,500 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are seriously considering moving to CO and have scheduled a trip to Denver for the last week of August.

For two NYers, what do you think would give us a good sense of life in Denver/ CO?

Where should we go? What should we visit?

We already know it's beautiful; what about the rest? We'll have a Sunday, Monday and Tuesday AM to explore; we are staying around Aurora, Cherry Hills, and Centennial area.

Our biggest concerns: what are people like, what is the culture like, what do people do with their free time, what do they care about?

I've gotten a beginning sense just from this forum (so many people are really generous here). We're just hoping to spend our time well.

Note: I should probably add that we aren't done-deal on Denver -- we're also interested in CoSprings area and Ft. Collins area to the north.

We just thought being from NY that we'd need something urban, or at least more urban than not. : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2006, 04:36 AM

827 posts, read 4,541,912 times
There is a lot to do in Denver but I would first rent a car if you are flying in because it is spread out, if you want to see the area. There is the Coors Beer Plant in Golden which will show you how they make beer but mostly it is a good excuse to go over to Golden! There is the Denver Art Museum, I think over on 13th near the Civic Park. The State Capitol Blg on Colfax Blvd and the US Mint is there too. The Zoo and Musuem of Nature and Science over off of Colorado Blvd and Colfax, I think 17th Ave,which is in the City Park. If you like Amusement Parks, there is Six Flags Elitch Gardens over near I25, also Coors Field is over near there up near 20th. Cherry Hills, where you said you will be in that area, is where many rich people live. It is like the Beverly Hills of Denver. Lots of great golf courses in the area. I am sure locals can tell you about more places. Hope this helps.

Old 07-22-2006, 06:46 AM

3 posts, read 7,509 times
Native of Denver here - getting ready to move out of state next week. My suggestion is to people watch anywhere you like - restaraunts, malls, etc. if you want to know what the culture is like. Traffic can be horrible here but not like NYC. Denver metro area very spread out (not compact) and each area has a personality unto itself. Mountains - yes but not right up against the city as many people are inclined to think. 4th of July weekend I-70 west was backed up (almost at a stand still at times) with people heading up in the mountains. There is alot to see and do. As for the people? Not as friendly as it used to be but I think that is because everyone is in a hurry. Rush here, rush there, rush home, etc.

Personally, I do not care for Colorado Springs but I would suggest a visit while you're here. Ft Collins is a very laid back college town - nice.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack
There is a lot to do in Denver but I would first rent a car if you are flying in because it is spread out, if you want to see the area. There is the Coors Beer Plant in Golden which will show you how they make beer but mostly it is a good excuse to go over to Golden! There is the Denver Art Museum, I think over on 13th near the Civic Park. The State Capitol Blg on Colfax Blvd and the US Mint is there too. The Zoo and Musuem of Nature and Science over off of Colorado Blvd and Colfax, I think 17th Ave,which is in the City Park. If you like Amusement Parks, there is Six Flags Elitch Gardens over near I25, also Coors Field is over near there up near 20th. Cherry Hills, where you said you will be in that area, is where many rich people live. It is like the Beverly Hills of Denver. Lots of great golf courses in the area. I am sure locals can tell you about more places. Hope this helps.
Thanks.
What is Golden like? (Aside from "sudsy"?)
"Beverly Hills"? What do you mean? Like, what kind of wealthy are we talking about?

Old 07-23-2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing
Native of Denver here - getting ready to move out of state next week. My suggestion is to people watch anywhere you like - restaraunts, malls, etc. if you want to know what the culture is like. Traffic can be horrible here but not like NYC. Denver metro area very spread out (not compact) and each area has a personality unto itself. Mountains - yes but not right up against the city as many people are inclined to think. 4th of July weekend I-70 west was backed up (almost at a stand still at times) with people heading up in the mountains. There is alot to see and do. As for the people? Not as friendly as it used to be but I think that is because everyone is in a hurry. Rush here, rush there, rush home, etc.

Personally, I do not care for Colorado Springs but I would suggest a visit while you're here. Ft Collins is a very laid back college town - nice.
Thanks.
What's your objection to CoSp?

I'm also interested in the "rushing" comment. I get the impression that Denver metro area has built up quite a bit in recent years. true? I am worried that this build-up has turned the area into a "rat-race". I guess I'm asking: how concerned are we with keeping up with the Joneses?

Traffic during rush hour? What's that like?

Old 07-23-2006, 09:16 AM

3 posts, read 7,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antipode12
Thanks.
What's your objection to CoSp?

I'm also interested in the "rushing" comment. I get the impression that Denver metro area has built up quite a bit in recent years. true? I am worried that this build-up has turned the area into a "rat-race". I guess I'm asking: how concerned are we with keeping up with the Joneses?

Traffic during rush hour? What's that like?
Colorado Springs is just a different environment. Nothing against it and in many ways prettier than Denver. Nothing really tangible - just don't care for it.

Denver Metro has built up ENORMOUSLY. Keeping up with the Jones would be a fair comment IMHO. Traffic during rush hour bothers me alot - the interstates are usually backed up and what shuld be a 10 minute drive can turn into an hour. Denverites love their cars and the light rail system is just now being built to accomodate the suburbs. It may take awhile for people here to give up the convience of driving their vehicles to work. Personally I was looking forward to taking mass transit to my job in the Denver Tech Center.

I obviously have gotten tired of the rat-race as I am leaving (at age 50 )and going to a small town in Texas. Alot of people love it here now and find it a very laid-back environment, but I remember it from a less stressful time. Not bitter, but it has turned into a big city. That's what I meant about people watching - you may find it a very laid back place. You can always tell more from watching!

Old 07-23-2006, 09:21 PM

119 posts, read 630,109 times
Antipode,

Where from NY are you from.....the city?????? I'm from CT so we're neighbors! I'm moving to CO Springs in December. I love it out there. Way different than back east. I find it clean, new, spread out and friendly. My husband and I couldn't believe how friendly some of the people were. We were like, uh, where are we, you talking to us? It's not like that here. At least not in CT. Waitresses would just sit with us in our booth and tell us about their life stories like they knew us for 20 years! If we move out there it would take us years just to do all the sight-seeing there is out there. You're gonna love it I'm sure. I only went to Denver for a day. We went shopping at the 16th Street Mall. Pretty cool. It's a mall that's all outside. Denver downtown is very clean. It sort of reminded me of a Chicago mixed with Boston. Even the professional's getting out of work at 5:00 seemed laid back. And if you do decide to move to Colorado Springs, Denver is very close by. Go Yankees! (I hope that's your team)

Old 07-24-2006, 12:46 AM

827 posts, read 4,541,912 times
Antipode12, Golden is just a nice more laid back type of small city. A small community type of feel. Hard to describe but you just know when you are there what I mean. Cherry Hills has the manisons and the high dollar estates, prestigious country clubs, wealth and such, to me just like Beverly Hills. You have to have some serious cash to live there. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 07-24-2006 at 12:52 AM..

Old 07-24-2006, 10:53 AM

10,678 posts, read 28,495,910 times
Denver time is slower than east coast time (it's a secret) Traffic depends on where you start and where you want to go and what time you leave.

A lot of companies work on east coast time so traffic starts at 6:30, but by 9 the freeways are back to normal. Rush hours picks up after 3 pm, especially on Fridays.

In Lakewood, traffic is lighter on Fed holidays because of the Federal Center.

The i-25 T-REX project is due to be completed in September. Light Rail is already open on the sw side, se side opens 11/06.

Both my parents grew up in NYC. This is not a 24/7 type of city.

What do you like to do?

Old 07-24-2006, 05:42 PM

17 posts, read 19,651 times
As a Colorado native and resident, I have to say this-

You come here because it's a nice place. You come here because you like it. But do not come here and try changing it into the place you moved from, because if you do, you will be very unwelcome!

If you moved from hell to heaven, would you sin and destroy heaven? Of course not. God would not appreciate that.

Likewise, you moce from wherever to Colorado, please show us the same respect. If you love Connecticut or Delaware or Illionois or even Libya, stay there. Do not bring it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado