U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:23 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,259,830 times

Advertisements

At the gas station pictured in the "Can anyone identify this location" thread below.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,905,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
If you have to walk--especially for several miles--to get to the fishing spot, it will be better yet. Just way too many people and too few fish.
I concur. The best fishing I've had in the past year was someplace that I had to hike 6 miles into the mountains to a particular spot. Then had to hike 6 miles back out after fishing.

The only time I've fished in Wyoming was the Green River way up by where it comes out of the Wind River Range. But it was a poor time of season (meltoff = high waters = poor fishing) so I can't make a judgement on it.

I've been told there's excellent fishing to be had in Minnesota, Canada and Alaska. Tons of natives, not stocked.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:43 AM

16,178 posts, read 20,184,521 times
That's the key; Minnesota, Canada, and Alaska. Supply and demand. I've never been to these places; always wanted to go and several construction friends of mine have and have told me after you fish there, you almost have to psych yourself up to fish here.

Good points by 80'skeys and Jazzlover here. There is an interesting site that illustrates what Jazzlover was referring to regarding whirling disease. Google in whirling disease; the Colorado Division of Wildlife has some good stats on it.

What is kind of depressing about it is it has gotten into the state hatcheries as well as the lakes. I wasn't aware of this till it hit hard in Colorado in the late 90's. It apparently isn't a problem with bass, catfish and other warm water species. It IS a problem with the rainbow trout, especially the young. Sadly, I have seen this problem firsthand. And the Division of Wildlife people ARE trying to find a solution.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-24-2009 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 11-24-2009, 11:38 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,259,830 times
You folks want some snakeheads? Where I live is ground zero for them.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:22 PM

15 posts, read 28,584 times
Thanks everyone here for your information.Now i am ready to go to Colorado.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:46 PM

Its a surprise if outsiders are not welcome to fish ? How come ?

Old 11-25-2009, 08:26 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,792,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAKK View Post
Its a surprise if outsiders are not welcome to fish ? How come ?
Imagine you spent the money to buy some land on one side of a beautiful section of river that was never overfished just so you could make sure it would be there for you and your children. Now imagine what would happen if a magazine article told a couple million fishermen about how great the fishing was on that river.

You'd have boats/float tubes going down the river, people wandering in from adjacent properties, neighbors renting out their shores, etc.

After your section of the river became just as overfished as the rest of the rivers you'd still have the hassles of trespassers and paying property taxes but wouldn't even have a decent fishing hole to yourself. In that situation would you welcome the outsiders?

Old 11-25-2009, 10:22 PM

No.I Wouldn't.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:10 AM

20,310 posts, read 37,804,669 times
I'd get a liquor license and sell beer to the visitors whom I'd greet with open arms.

It's the same in every state, during fishing and hunting season most of the locals "carp" and "beef" about all the non-local sportsmen who visit to enjoy their sports. Nothing new, the plains Indians whined about the white-eyes shooting buffalo from passing trains.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-26-2009 at 11:59 AM..

Old 11-26-2009, 11:13 AM

804 posts, read 2,397,643 times
Nope don't do it.. For fishing you have to come to Coeur d'Alene Idaho.. we can beat Colorado hands down any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado