U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 02:29 PM

15 posts, read 28,603 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone here. I know this forum for years but this is my first post ever.
Due to my parents' best friend is going to open his Vietnamese/Chinese fast food restaurant next year. I am forcing myself to relocate to Colorado Springs to give him a hand for at least 6 months or more from Los Angeles.
To be honest, i do not like the super hot summer and super bad traffic in L.A, i like the cold/snowy weather better. And i know Colorado Springs is cold, which is great for me BUT
I've been spending most of my free time in fishing at least 3 days a week and California is a great fishing state, many good lakes as well as beautiful coast. I may travel as far as Mexico's water to chase for yellowfin,tuna..
I have been in Colorado Springs 2 years ago for only 2 days so i did not have a good image of the city.
So please anybody tell me how is a life in Colorado Springs ? How is fishing over here (i like trout fishing too). Any input will be much appreciated. Thank you.
PS: i am young,21 and Asian,i would like to know more how is a Colorado Spring's life for an Asian like me (I'm from L.A which is a multi-culture city, one time i've been in Charlotte, North Carolina and i was scared,you know..)

Last edited by AAKK; 11-22-2009 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 03:59 PM

5,008 posts, read 6,691,539 times
Colorado is a dry state, so I think compared to some places there really is not a ton of fishing here. However, if you are up for lake fishing for relatively small fish like stocked trout and fly fishing in rivers, then there is a lot to offer. If you have a boat, there are some reservoirs you can take it out on for fishing within a few hours' drive.

As far as race, while it is not really "colorful" here, there are people from all backgrounds here and I've never had a vibe here like down south or in some small rural towns - it is relaxed and open and I think you'll probably feel fine. Some neighborhoods are more diverse than others, but there are no boundaries in terms of color/race/language/ethnicities, etc.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:23 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,195,278 times
Fishing- Colorado Fishing Network: Where to Fish,

Old 11-22-2009, 05:05 PM

Thanks all for your input so far.
So,Colorado in general is not a good state for fishing. I understand that. Now vehicle is another thing coming on my mind.
I have a very reliable Acura and i am so pleased with that but few of my friend who are resident of Colorado Springs warn me that i need to get a 4x4 SUV or at least, a 4x4 sedan (Subaru WRX is the only choice so far for me) to if i don't want to be stuck in winter. I am making a research around to see if i really need a 4x4 (i read the topic about 4x4 already) but what would you do if you are in my situation ? Trading a front wheel drive car for a 4x4 or keep the car and practice snow/ice driving?
Thank you.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:18 PM

770 posts, read 706,565 times
What kind of fishing do you like?? Besides, it's generally useless to say whether states in general are "good for fishing." Every state in the Nation is good for fishing depending upon your preferences. You don't need a million great fishing rivers, after all-just one.

There is a plethora of great fly fishing all across the state in addition to various little pockets and smaller lakes that host an impressive array of game species.

Are you shore fishing?

Old 11-22-2009, 08:43 PM

I do every kind of fishing for every kind of fish(lake fishing,shore fishing,private lake fishing,trout fishing,creek fishing,river fishing,reservoir fishing,boat fishing,inshore fishing,offshore fishing,pier fishing,fresh water fishing,saltwater fishing,fly fishing)
You know,i usually spend at least 3 days a week on the water so fishing becomes my blood. Once you are into a hobby,it's very bad if you can't follow it.
I looked through colaradofishingnetwork.net and i see there are some nice places to fish. Why i am asking this question because i will be helping my parents' best friend on setting up his restaurant for while after my early morning classes from Monday - Thursday and i am free the rest of the week.
Alright, i won't talk about fishing here anymore. but can you answer my question on winter vehicle ? I know the most economy way is to put a set of winter tires on a front wheel right but since i am not-an-experienced-driver, should i get a 4x4 instead ?

Old 11-23-2009, 11:28 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,111,844 times
Man, you should move next door to me and teach me how to fish. I see guys out on the lake here fishing from the shore or in waders or even on the ice almost everyday, but I've not been once...

They stock this and many other lakes along the front range a few times each summer, and according to the guys I've talked to they pull mostly trout out, but there is a growing Pike population which is making it harder on the trout.

To echo previous comments, where there's water there's usually fishing, so the CO fishing is okay, but perhaps not a die-hard fisherman's paradise, sinc you're limited to relatively small lakes and rivers, for the most part. If you venture into the high country there are some larger reservoirs and some pretty wild and scenic rivers with good fishing.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:43 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,271,029 times
Depends too on time of year. Down south I believe the fishing on the Animas near Durango is pretty decent. Here's a link to some info.

Animas Fishing Reports-Durango Colorado Fly Fishing-gotTrout.com-Animas Valley Anglers

Old 11-23-2009, 12:37 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,271,029 times
My family moved to Durango in the 1880s and I just went back and re-read a letter one of them had written about fishing around there in the 1890s (presumably out of the Animas). He said all you needed was a hook, line, and a grasshopper and you could catch all the fish you wanted all year round. Hoping it hasn't changed much since then. I've not ever tried grasshoppers but perhaps that's the trick there.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:52 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,745,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAKK View Post
I have a very reliable Acura and i am so pleased with that but few of my friend who are resident of Colorado Springs warn me that i need to get a 4x4 SUV or at least, a 4x4 sedan (Subaru WRX is the only choice so far for me) to if i don't want to be stuck in winter. I am making a research around to see if i really need a 4x4 (i read the topic about 4x4 already) but what would you do if you are in my situation ? Trading a front wheel drive car for a 4x4 or keep the car and practice snow/ice driving?
Thank you.

Untrue. Front wheel vehicles do just fine in all parts of the state, even for those living in mountain resort towns. Unless people do a lot of camping with four wheeling, a front wheel drive is fine.

Take a class in winter weather driving when you get here so you aren't freaked out...it wouldn't matter anyway if you had the most expensive 4x4 known to mankind, if you don't know how to drive in it, your vehicle wont matter.

I tool around just fine in my 93 Accord. Drove through many blizzards with front wheel drive cars and do just fine driving up to places like Breckenridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado