U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:25 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,058,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
Try Casper Wyoming of Rapid City, SD
Rapid City and the Black Hills I visited recently was a pleasant surprise. Kind of reminded me of Colorado of my youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 03:21 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,930,751 times
Collbran, Colorado.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 14,562 times
Default thanks

Thank you all for taking time to reply. You have given me quite a list of towns to consider. I will look into these towns.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,481,319 times
MountainBound72 wrote:
Are any mountain towns left that just mostly have regular folks?
NO, everyone who lives in a mountain town is an irregular person.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 14,562 times
I like irregular people.

i was just looking to raise my kids among a balanced group- as in, people who appreciate things other than the biggest mc mansion they can afford. Most people here in my son's 5th grade class are on their second or third upgrade on their cell phones. And I am just in Iowa. I am not judging their decisions, i know plenty of nice people who live in McMansions. I would just like a little more balance.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:51 PM
sev

14 posts, read 50,723 times
Check out New Castle, CO. It is close to the amenities of Glenwood Springs, but is less expensive and a nice family community.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:51 AM

91 posts, read 218,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Mountain Bound, do you need to work? That's the big problem if you are looking to move in the next year or so. The economy sucks and a lot of work has dried up.

Mountain towns I'd suggest looking at would be Paonia and Buena Vista/Salida. Others not really "mountain towns" would be Cedaredge and maybe Montrose. Gunnison?
No jobs in Salida unless you are in the medical field (They built a new hospital)

I would also reccomend Nederland. It is not the place for you though if you don't like lots of snow and wind...but then again that is all mountain towns. It does have easy access to Boulder which is where you most likely will have to find a job. But I agree with this post...see if you can line up a job 1st....It is all dried up. I know people with masters and doctorates leaving that off of their reumes just so they can have any job. Don't be discouraged though. If you have always wanted to live in a mountain town just do some homework and go for it. The quality of life is worth the effort of getting there! Good luck!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,877 times
Try Coal Creek Canyon. I don't have kids, but the school seems small and the people are very down to earth. There are some oversized mansions, but for the most part, it is not even close to the Evergreen culture. There are two gas stations and one small convenience store that is over priced, which is not fair to the local people. It is about 10 miles up highway 72. They keep the roads fairly clear during the snow storms and it does not seem to be over populated with huge money people with their hummers and overpriced SUV.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:38 PM

16,192 posts, read 20,227,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sev View Post
Check out New Castle, CO. It is close to the amenities of Glenwood Springs, but is less expensive and a nice family community.
Newcastle isn't bad, as is Silt a few miles away from there. High unemployment though; the oil field workers have been on layoff since last April.

Other towns that don't get much mention on the board here that I have always kind of liked is Kremmling and Craig, in the northwest part of the state. Not really mountain towns as ranching is basically the economy there. Same with Alamosa and Monte Vista, in the San Luis Valley.

You won't find many zillion dollar houses there, and those towns aren't for everybody. Cold in the winter? OH YEA! With Alamosa and Monte Vista the mountains aren't far off, the Sangre De Cristo mountains are amongst the most beautiful in the United States. Keep in mind the whole states economy is flat, especially western Colorado.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:29 AM

4 posts, read 13,586 times
Default a second vote for New Castle

I have lived here for several years. Great location at the base of mountains, 10 minutes from Glenwood Springs without the traffic/tourist problen. Downhill and XC skiing 30 minutes away (or closer, depending on the winter XC skiing is right out the door). Colorado river is right here for fishing, rafting, tubing in the summer. Aspen is 45 minutes away if you want to enjoy the (really) high-life for a bit... Good (not great, but very good) schools, good people, and a smart town administration. Moderate political views (rule of thumb-- New Castle is moderate... go west, you get conservative... go east/se you get liberal). Prices, cost of living? Pretty high... but you are going to see that is just about every Colorado mtn area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or