Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 07:48 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Have you considered somewhere like Western Pennsylvania or Pittsburgh?

Tons of low real estate, normal people, etc...and plenty of mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 04:49 PM

363 posts, read 1,146,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Mountain Bound, do you need to work? That's the big problem if you are looking to move in the next year or so. The economy sucks and a lot of work has dried up.

Mountain towns I'd suggest looking at would be Paonia and Buena Vista/Salida. Others not really "mountain towns" would be Cedaredge and maybe Montrose. Gunnison?
I have friends that live in Paonia and love it. They have two young kids.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:01 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
I think Woodlnd Park is the perfect mountain town 7000 people at 8500', awesome views of Pikes Peak and no crime. 18 miles west from Colorado Springs if you need to hit up a big town. If you are in Durango and need want to go to a big town (shopping, entertainment, etc), it's a good 4-5+ hours.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Have you considered somewhere like Western Pennsylvania or Pittsburgh?

Tons of low real estate, normal people, etc...and plenty of mountains.
That's what I did. The Colorado of my youth is very much gone or going and I did the Colorado Mtn living thing for seven years till I had enough.

Here in PA there are normal people, a walkable main street where I live, plenty of cultural activities, plenty of outdoor activities(the mountain/trail biking for instance WAY better than Colorado), plenty of shopping and places to eat out. I don't think the economy is great, but it sure isn't any worse than Colorado by now. And real estate for the most part is reasonable and cost of living is low.

My life is way better and healthier than Colorado and while Colorado is nice in some ways, I can always fly out and visit. When I went back two months ago for a visit I certainly didn't feel like I was missing anything.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:06 PM

151 posts, read 397,499 times
I'd throw Fairplay and Leadville in to the mix. I think there are a high proportion of year round residents in both towns...certainly when compared to Summit County, Vail, and Aspen there are.

For something closer in to the Denver metro area, what about Bailey and Lyons?

And even though it's a ski town, I think Steamboat also has a year-round vibe to it.

+1 to Woodland Park but you're not going to feel "remote" if that's what you're looking for. It is to the Springs what Evergreen and Conifer are to Denver, in my opinion.

I guess a lot of it hinges on what you consider a mountain town.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:38 PM

24 posts, read 82,230 times
sounds to me what your looking for is right here in the appalachians of ky ,tn,wv,w-va. not to many rich spoiled people here and we deff. know whats importaint in life, just a sugestion , but good luck finding a job here as is any place right now pretty hard to do , depending on what line of work your interested in , im looking into truck driving myself, coal whent belly up (job market anyway), so that whent out the window so i can only think as to what happened everywhere else , good luck . if you want info on around here just ask.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,557 times
You ask about Utah, there are still a lot of mountain towns that aren't too crowded. Logan is a moderate sized town with growth, while towns like Richfield, Ephraim, Moroni, Price, Helper, don't have so much growth, or maybe they are a little depressed economically. Soldier Summit is a town where they wish they could have growth but it hasn't taken. It is all regular people, no snobby "beautiful" people from hollywood. The biggest problem with some of these towns is how to make a living.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:36 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
garandguy wrote:
The biggest problem with some of these towns is how to make a living.
How to make a living, is the biggest problem in small towns all across the USA. This problem is not unique to any one state or region of the country.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:31 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
garandguy wrote:
The biggest problem with some of these towns is how to make a living.
How to make a living, is the biggest problem in small towns all across the USA. This problem is not unique to any one state or region of the country.
In any bog standard rural town there are always going to be limited economic possibilities. However the problem with the Colorado mountains and other resort or tourism areas is the high cost of real estate due to so many people wanting to live there and limited space for all. That high cost of real estate drives up the cost of everything else.

Living in PA now, I make the same or less than I did in Colorado but work around 1/4 of the hours and am not under the economic strain I was in Colorado.

And not saying that Colorado is bad, Colorado is and has been a part of my family for generations, but there is a price to be paid for living in the Rockies.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:14 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
La Veta has mostly just real folks:

La Veta, Colorado, at the foot of the Spanish Peaks and the Sangre de Cristo Mountains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado