U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 06:11 PM

62 posts, read 151,648 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to relocate to CO. Four metro areas are possibilities: Colorado Springs, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction, and Durango.

I really have no idea where to begin looking. First and foremost, I'm looking for a family friendly area: safe and great public schools. I'm looking for reasonable housing ($100k+ income; I'd like to get a nice 2000+ sq ft, 4BR home for less then $450k) with great quality of life (dining, shopping, and activities) [Who isn't???]. Nice scenery would be a bonus.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, at least get me started? What are the characters of these towns? I'm a pretty regular guy - I don't really want to deal with snobs or with trash; just nice middle/upper-middle class people. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 06:16 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,319,527 times
Denver 'burbs aren't an option?

Old 12-06-2009, 06:28 PM

62 posts, read 151,648 times
Not really, not unless it's within commuting distance to one of those spots...that's where the job openings are.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:15 PM

10,688 posts, read 28,565,620 times
I'd pick Durango, Glenwood, Grand Junction, then The Springs.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:06 AM

695 posts, read 1,661,382 times
A great place to start is with the data pages on each city here at www.city-data.com, searchable from the front page. There are some good statistics there. Be sure to look at weather data, because it is somewhat different in the locations you have mentioned. Another good resource is a local real estate agent in each location. Realtors can provide great community information along with current housing availability. For currently listed homes, be sure to check out Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings – REALTOR.com® where you can search for homes by location and features.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:44 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,933,593 times
It's easy to answer your question.

(1) Denver. Big city, lots of shopping, restaurants, some nightlife. A few bad neighborhoods but mostly the rest of the city has the safe, family friendly neighborhoods you're looking for. Awesome scenery if you live in the western part of town which puts you close to or even in the foothills.

2) Colorado Springs. Small-medium city. Nicely kept. Unusually green in parts, especially the foothills. Lots of good neighborhoods. The character of the city is more conservative and religious as you will see.

3) Glenwood springs. Mountain town. Cold and snowy in the winter. Pretty nicely kept. Extremely scenic and beautiful. Touristy. Nice main street. The character of the town is probably "touristy" and "outdoorsy."

4) Grand Junction. Small desert town. Not much snow in the winter. Peaceful, tranquil, family-oriented town. No crime to speak of. Not much in the way of nightlife or things to do, however. Lacking in culture. Rather isolated from any large cities to speak of.

5) Durango. Sort of like Glenwood Springs. Touristy. Beautiful area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_trackstar View Post
I have an opportunity to relocate to CO. Four metro areas are possibilities: Colorado Springs, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction, and Durango.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:42 PM

12,861 posts, read 24,553,143 times
If work is the calling card, I'd go with Durango any day, since the major problem with moving there tends to be the job situation.
Of course, I was there on Labor Day weekend during the annual Harley Davidson National Run, so didn't exactly get a balance perspective, but the area seemed beautiful and had enough business to keep a former urbanite quite happy, even if I don't mountain bike and wear spandex and say "dude" a lot.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:10 AM

118 posts, read 268,615 times
Another vote for Durango. Moved here with my wife and daughter from the Northeast a few months ago and couldn't be any happier!

one comment regarding real estate: we are currently in the midst of a house hunt, and finding a 2,000+ sf, 4BR home for $450k will take you a few minutes out of "in-town". the 2,000 sf 3-4 BR places we have seen in town have been in the $450-600k range and even in that range they haven't really wowed us.

Last edited by jchasse; 12-11-2009 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: edited to add real estate comment

Old 12-11-2009, 11:15 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,353,824 times
Durango wopuld be the most expensive. I would seriously look at Glenwood springs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or