U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 05:06 PM

72 posts, read 122,708 times

Advertisements

I want to get married this summer in one of these places. Which would you say would be the funnest place for a large wedding with a lot of overseas, young guests? My dog is the ring bearer so the venue has to be a pet friendly. I am looking for something with dramatic scenery and a very nice reception area. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 04:04 AM

10,871 posts, read 41,174,133 times
Either one can be a spectacular venue for a wedding.

Perhaps you'd like to mention what you're expecting to pay for the festivities ... if cost is an issue for you and for your friends ... you may find a significant difference between these two destination locations.

I got married in Vail by a local JP (fee $75), alongside Gore Creek. Setting: fabulous little glade by the creek in the trees. Cost of location: $0. Access to a good restaurant for a wedding party of 8: close walking distance, and the dinner was very reasonably priced.

I'd venture that you could do something along the same lines in the Aspen area, although restaurants tend to be more expensive there ... especially if you are seeking a place for a "reception". I can't think of a place off the top of my head where you'd be streamside for a casual wedding and yet within walking distance to the balance of the facilities you'd want ... up in the 'bells area would be my choice for the wedding.

Both places would have good transportation options for out of area guests. Aspen with direct flights, Vail with Denver (and a 110 mile drive up the hill) or a flight to Eagle, then an hour drive back to Vail. Lodging in Aspen will typically be more pricey than Vail, but this may not necessarily be a consideration for your plans. If you are trying to do an all-inclusive package, I'd contact directly the various hotels in the areas and see what they've got available ... lodging/wedding venue/reception area/dinner. Wishing you all the best ....

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-08-2009 at 04:13 AM..

Old 12-08-2009, 05:57 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,026,437 times
I worked at many weddings large and small in both Aspen and Vail from 2000-2006. Plus my sister got married in Vail this year. So what I would say is this:

Bring a suitcase filled with $100 bills.

Both places are about the most expensive places to get married in the USA. If you are independently wealthy and/or daddy is giving you a blank check then you are in luck, otherwise I'd say go elsewhere.

My sister had almost 150 people and had not she had the connections locally she had in the business which enabled her to obtain goods and services as a favor or payback at a discount or for free, then it would have easily gone into the six figures $$$$$$. Not including the honeymoon the total cost was around $60,000 and she had bare boned a lot of it to keep costs down. Had she not trimmed it of different things two months before the wedding, the cost would have been over $100k even after all the discounts and free stuff.

Most hotels in Vail and Aspen cannot handle or do not want to handle receptions and weddings other than providing lodging. The hotels that will do that with the way they are set up you're not going to have the spectacular scenery in the background. Instead what is mostly used is semi-outdoor venues. There are two in Aspen but I can't remember their names. In Vail there is Piney Creek, The Vail Rod and Gun Club and 4 Eagle Ranch. All three of those locations in Vail have good scenery and are "fun". All 3 work well but have their +'s and -'s.

Another option in Vail is some of the golf course clubhouses. I know Cordillera and Singletree do weddings. They have the room and you can also rent the necessary tents and such if needed.

If you have a lot of international guests flying in, unless you have unlimited money or they do, I don't believe Aspen is realistic. Aspen is a four hour drive from Denver International Airport or another flight. Vail is two hours which is less expensive and less of an issue to get to.

There were several weddings I worked in Vail and Aspen that had multi million dollar budgets and 800 guests.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:47 PM

Let me put wanneroo's "most expensive places to get married in the USA" observation in some perspective ... of two prominent families who invited me to their daughter's weddings in Colorado ... and had a number of out of country family members attending. Both weddings had approx 150 guests, including the wedding party ...

1) one at the Estes Park Stanley Hotel, cost with rehearsal dinner, reception and dinner the next day ... $350 per guest, not including hotel rooms for the guests

2) one at BMH in Denver, cost with rehearsal dinner, reception at the DU grounds, and dinner at DAC ... approx $500 per guest, not including hotel rooms for guests and ground transportation in Denver for the events at multiple locations. IIRC, there were 10 limo's used for the older family members that did not want to do any driving, especially with the open bars at so many locations for them to enjoy the celebration

3) another wedding at BMH, with all the usual celebration ... I'm told cost my friend approx $650 per guest.

Either of those weddings were off the charts compared to what I've seen spent in Vail for a modest outdoor wedding and reception.

Lastly, a family member of mine just had to have his wedding in Hawaii. Besides a lot of the bride's family members coming in from the Eastern USA (lots of airfare and multiple flights), lodging at $165 per night per room, and the facilities for the rehearsal, wedding, reception and dinner ... the cost was a staggering number well in excess of $750 per person. I don't know for sure what it cost beyond that number because I wasn't asked to help pay for the wedding ... or, for that matter, to attend. They had somewhere over 100 people attend, and part of the festivities was a side trip to the Big Island and jeep tours to the volcano for a picnic.

I'm pretty thankful that my Vail wedding accomodations (a three bedroom house) were comp'ed by my property managers and that the dinner was half off the menu price, thanks again to one of my guest's connections in Vail. We got married inexpensively with a three-day trip that didn't cost much more than normal groceries and the tank of fuel to travel to Vail.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:51 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,026,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I'm pretty thankful that my Vail wedding accomodations (a three bedroom house) were comp'ed by my property managers and that the dinner was half off the menu price, thanks again to one of my guest's connections in Vail. We got married inexpensively with a three-day trip that didn't cost much more than normal groceries and the tank of fuel to travel to Vail.
Keep in mind for the gal that posted above she wants a large wedding complete with big smelly dog as the ring bearer and guests coming from all over the world. I've seen all this before and I can almost guarantee she wont be content with an eight person wedding next to gore creek and dinner.

Even with Vail the transportation we found was an issue. Once people flew to DIA, it was shuttle bus or rental car. The shuttle bus cost has ballooned to unrealistic levels and rentals aren't cheap and by the time it was all done for all the people to come there, they paid a price to do so.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:59 AM

151 posts, read 348,972 times
Hard to give advice on this one without knowing what your budget is.

My wife and I didn't have a huge wedding budget, and Vail and Aspen would have been prohibitively expensive. We did manage to pull off a small mountain wedding of around 50 guests at the Wild Basin Lodge in Allenspark, CO...worth a look if you want something nice but on a budget. I can't remember the exact amount of the final bill but it was in the 6,000 range I think--which included a nice outdoors creekside amphitheatre in the shadow of Mount Copeland, and dinner at the lodge.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:19 AM

103 posts, read 343,913 times
Default Wasn't on the list, but you might check out Ski Cooper in Leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthelegend View Post
I want to get married this summer in one of these places. Which would you say would be the funnest place for a large wedding with a lot of overseas, young guests? My dog is the ring bearer so the venue has to be a pet friendly. I am looking for something with dramatic scenery and a very nice reception area. Thank you!
You might check out Ski Cooper just outside of Leadville. Some friends of ours got married there this summer and it was spectacular. Outside, thunder, great views, nice reception hall...etc.! Rooms not out of sight in Leadville, and a great variety from contemporary to the historic Delaware Hotel.

Ski Colorado & Enjoy an Affordable Colorado Ski Vacation at Ski Cooper - We Are A Family Friendly Colorado Ski Area located minutes from Leadville and close to Vail, Beaver Creek, and Copper Mountain if you want to take a look. Browsing is free!

Just a thought, good luck to you and your spouse to be.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,261 times
Hi,
My fiancee and I are on a budget and we live in Illinois and thinking of a destination wedding in Colorado...we were looking at Beaver Creek @ some of their venues....with the above statements I am worried we wont stay on budget...we have about 25 out of town guests to think of as well...is there any other places that anyone could recomemmend or wedding planners to help!!!!
thank you

Old 01-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopalrose41 View Post
Hi,
My fiancee and I are on a budget and we live in Illinois and thinking of a destination wedding in Colorado...we were looking at Beaver Creek @ some of their venues....with the above statements I am worried we wont stay on budget...we have about 25 out of town guests to think of as well...is there any other places that anyone could recomemmend or wedding planners to help!!!!
thank you
Would you care to give us a clue as to what your budget is?

Old 01-30-2011, 04:49 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,614,432 times
The only way to try to stay "on budget" in Beaver Creek is to have a wedding in the off season when the resort is practically empty. The first few weeks of May and the end of October/beginning of November will hold the most promise. I would call the catering departments of whichever venues you are interested in and see what they can do for your budget. For the small amount of people you are planning on check Spendido Restaurant and The Charter Hotel, they may be able to make you a good deal for the off season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or