U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:53 PM

151 posts, read 349,847 times

Advertisements

If we're giving more than just moving advice, then I would recommend you stay close to your family for the time being so you can get some parental support as a single mom, finish a degree, and move after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 09:46 PM

8 posts, read 11,669 times
FentonForche, thanks for the advice, but like I told Livecontent....I want out.

I happen to have too much family that are slowly driving me crazy. The extended family is a little too involved in everyone else's business and trying to control my life.

I'm trying to convince my parents to move with me. My mom is sick, to make a long story short, she was born with 1 kidney, that failed in 1993, she had a transplant, it worked for a while, but is once again failing. My dad is almost 70 and he has worked in just about every field on the planet it seems, he can find work anywhere and also has his SS to live on, so he's not worried about it.

My life here is extremely drama filled and am looking to moving on to have my own life for me and my son. There is another very long story about my son's "father", but I don't think you'd like me to get into that. There is a reason for quotation marks around that word and getting as far away from him is the best thing in the world for both my son and myself.

I will also have my degree finished in the end of April, so moving in May seems ideal to me. It's as soon as possible. And my family out there is trying to help me find a job before I move.

So again, thanks for all of the advice, but moving is something that I am absolutely positive about, I feel completely suffocated here and don't exactly like my job anymore. I've decided that it is just time for a change, just looking for help on where to make that change to.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:45 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,630,811 times
More advice (which I'm sure you're so eager for ^_^): You may have already done so, but in case others are in similar circumstances -- Be sure you've planned what you want your life to be like in your new place and not just planned the escape from your old life. Speaking from experience here! Things obviously don't always work out perfectly, but at least you have something to focus on to avoid backsliding, and I think are able to be far more satisfied with where you are going rather than just finding relief at escaping where you've been.

Springs sure sounds about right for you from what I've researched and read. Possibly Fort Collins, as well? Good luck!

Old 12-12-2009, 04:03 PM

792 posts, read 1,061,963 times
Just a thought, have you ever considered Utah...now before anyone jumps on the LDS thing let me state a few facts from personal experience, and I am not LDS.

There are many towns, in Central and even Southern Utah that might provide what you are looking for. Most are relatively safe, and I feel the State is very proactive to edcational needs.

Most of the areas are clean, the air (outside the SLC valley) is great, scenery is breathtaking.

The employment picture is about the same everywhere and those recomending that you find employment first are offering sound advice.

The cost of living is relative, however I do belive it might be less expensive than Colorado.

Once North of St. George you will slowly go up, (as in altitude) and within 45 miles can be at about 5,500 feet above sea level, which provides a very tolerable 4 season experience.

As stated in the beginning, many people immediately associate or assume that one must be LDS to reside in Utah...that is very far fro the truth....and as far as neighbors go, you could do much worse...Check it out...it might be what you are looking for.....good luck

Old 12-13-2009, 12:41 PM

8 posts, read 11,669 times
Zenkonami, thanks for the advice! I've been working on that too, that's why I didn't offer up that infomation at the start. Irish4evr, I have not considered Utah before, I can take a look. The things about Colorado that are on the Pros list right now are; some extended family there, if one of them can help me get a job before I move (very helpful), I love just about everything that I have been able to find out so far; from the pictures available, the internet research, and this website. But Thank you for your thoughts .

Old 12-19-2009, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 5,384 times
Default Truer words have never been spoken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Everything you want is in Wisconsin, except Mountains. There are more small towns in WI that are charming; it has the winters; you have the lakes; it has good schools. You have a job.

There are not many Colorado towns that are that charming. Most of the mountains towns are extremely expensive and those you can afford, on your income, are rough and not all that inexpensive. There are very few jobs in the mountains and you have a job--that is plus for Wisconsin.

There are few natural water bodies in Colorado and the few lakes that exist--you could not afford to live near. The idea of affordable home/land in or near the mountains, as one of your desires, just does not exist. You really need to know more about Colorado. You would have more opportunities to acquire your home/land wishes in Wisconsin.

From your post, I get the impression that you have an idealistic view of Colorado that you get from the media. I would suggest you visit first and see more and understand that Colorado, especially the mountains, is no magical place that is going to solve your problems; it is even more difficult if you are a single parent, with limited income, with a young child.

Your should think of your child first, before your pipe dreams, because the educational facilities in most mountain towns are nowhere near the progressive states like Wisconsin on the Great Lakes. I grew up near Buffalo and even though the economy has problems in the Great Lake regions, it still has good educational opportunities and good social programs that do not match many areas of Colorado, especially mountain towns. Colorado also has been affected by the economic downturn and it is more visible in these Mountain Communities which do not have a wide range of industries. You will be competing for jobs with many people, who also have a foggy vision of nirvana, and the wages are low. They do not reflect the cost of living in the mountains. In addition, the environment for raising children in many of these towns is not the best, unless you are of the wealthy.

Livecontent
This is so sad, but it's true. I've been trying to find that perfect Colorado community for awhile. If you don't have a solid job or if you aren't independently wealthy, you won't survive for very long here. Colorado is in need of some social change.

As for Greeley...I teach some classes at the college there and I HIGHLY recommend you visit the town first. I would never insult anyone's hometown, but please check it out before moving your family there!! It isn't a location that suits everyone...

Good luck in your hunt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado