U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 01:11 PM

8 posts, read 11,639 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old single mom of a 4 year old son. Looking to relocate in May 2010 and have a pretty open idea of what I want. Good schools, near the mountains, possibly water (lake, etc.), snowy winter, and a job. 'Wants' would be some older town charm and affordable homes/land. I am currently an administrative assistant, and have been with the same company for 5+ years. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Have been looking in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 02:16 PM

34 posts, read 94,647 times
Colorado has everything you want just in all different places. Some of the better schools would be in places that are expensive to live in (i.e. Highlands Ranch, Louisville). Fort Collins and Boulder are both known for their unique characteristics that make them very popular for younger adults. Mountains and Water are within an hour drive no matter where you live (on the Front Range) and luckily you are in a field that can be useful anywhere!
Personally though, I would start out in some of the lesser liked areas first. I currently live in Greeley (which is about 30 mins drive to FTC) and the cost of living is soo much less than FTC. Brighton is also just north of the Denver Metro area. Again depending on where your job is, it is much cheaper and still close enough to commute to work. Good luck!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 PM

Thanks jettsettr. I am ok with travel, but I don't really know anyone there, so another thing I would be looking for would be childcare for my son, as I said before, I am a single mom, so that is a large concern especially since the "father" is basically out of the picture and child support is a lauging matter. I'm ok with lesser liked areas and cost of living being less would be what I am looking for to start out.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:51 AM

151 posts, read 348,804 times
Having a few more parameters etched out might help us provide more narrowly tailored advice. Are you looking to rent or buy? Income/price range for a home? Are you comfortable in an apartment? townhome? only a single family home? (that would probably be tricky).

Old 12-10-2009, 11:36 AM

I don't know much about the area, I have family in Colorado Springs, was looking near there and North of that area. Doing a lot of research and am planning on visiting as soon as possible. The majority of my searches have turned up towns in Routt, Grand, Summit, Clear Creek, Pitkin, Lake, Chaffee, Boulder, and Teller counties for what I really want. Looking to rent for the first year. Any housing will work for that time frame, apartment, townhome, etc. I am really just looking into getting out of Wisconsin and my choices of states that I do really like ended up being Alaska (bad with small children adjusting to the light/dark schedules, been there), Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, etc. My current income is about 25k per year and I am an Administrative Assistant. Any help you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:57 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,163,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCK87 View Post
I am a 22 year old single mom of a 4 year old son. Looking to relocate in May 2010 and have a pretty open idea of what I want. Good schools, near the mountains, possibly water (lake, etc.), snowy winter, and a job. 'Wants' would be some older town charm and affordable homes/land. I am currently an administrative assistant, and have been with the same company for 5+ years. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Have been looking in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, etc.
Everything you want is in Wisconsin, except Mountains. There are more small towns in WI that are charming; it has the winters; you have the lakes; it has good schools. You have a job.

There are not many Colorado towns that are that charming. Most of the mountains towns are extremely expensive and those you can afford, on your income, are rough and not all that inexpensive. There are very few jobs in the mountains and you have a job--that is plus for Wisconsin.

There are few natural water bodies in Colorado and the few lakes that exist--you could not afford to live near. The idea of affordable home/land in or near the mountains, as one of your desires, just does not exist. You really need to know more about Colorado. You would have more opportunities to acquire your home/land wishes in Wisconsin.

From your post, I get the impression that you have an idealistic view of Colorado that you get from the media. I would suggest you visit first and see more and understand that Colorado, especially the mountains, is no magical place that is going to solve your problems; it is even more difficult if you are a single parent, with limited income, with a young child.

Your should think of your child first, before your pipe dreams, because the educational facilities in most mountain towns are nowhere near the progressive states like Wisconsin on the Great Lakes. I grew up near Buffalo and even though the economy has problems in the Great Lake regions, it still has good educational opportunities and good social programs that do not match many areas of Colorado, especially mountain towns. Colorado also has been affected by the economic downturn and it is more visible in these Mountain Communities which do not have a wide range of industries. You will be competing for jobs with many people, who also have a foggy vision of nirvana, and the wages are low. They do not reflect the cost of living in the mountains. In addition, the environment for raising children in many of these towns is not the best, unless you are of the wealthy.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-10-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 12-11-2009, 10:10 AM

Thank you for your input Livecontent, but the major point here is that I hate living in this state and the taxes far excede my income. My current job, is not exactly cutting it here. I have done some more research and what I have come up with is Colorado Springs/Woodland Park area. My family lives in that area and one of them is working with a few friends to get me a job there. Either way, I am moving out of state, whether it be Colorado or not. I know the states that I do not want to live in, Colorado is on the high possibility list. But again, thank you for your advice.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:17 AM

5,091 posts, read 13,163,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCK87 View Post
Thank you for your input Livecontent, but the major point here is that I hate living in this state and the taxes far excede my income. My current job, is not exactly cutting it here. I have done some more research and what I have come up with is Colorado Springs/Woodland Park area. My family lives in that area and one of them is working with a few friends to get me a job there. Either way, I am moving out of state, whether it be Colorado or not. I know the states that I do not want to live in, Colorado is on the high possibility list. But again, thank you for your advice.
Colorado Springs is a much better choice than those remote mountain counties that you are considering. It has all the advantages of living in Colorado--good education systems, good jobs, excellent health care, great weather, access to mountain recreation and much better opportunities for you and your child in the future.

I would suggest that you look into the many federal government jobs that are available in that area. Good Luck.

Livecontent

Old 12-11-2009, 11:48 AM

Awesome, thank you! Are there any websites that you can reccomend to find that information. I will be moving at some point (probably the beginning) of May.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:07 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
Get the job first....THEN move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado