U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 06:58 PM

16 posts, read 49,075 times

Advertisements

I need to chat with someone who remembers the Country Club bar in La Junta (on Raton Street - it's now a Mexican restaurant). I'm researching a piece for an upcoming blog post on my Web site, and would like to talk to someone who remembers the old Country Club in the 60s, and the live bands who used to appear there.

If you can help me, drop me a line.

Also, could someone from La Junta post a picture of the Mexico City Cafe on Raton Street?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 11:02 PM

13,701 posts, read 21,521,660 times
We have some La Junta pics here and here to get started.

I would DM la junta econ devel for further info and good luck.

My mom went to high school there back in about 52'.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 AM

Yeah I saw those before I posted (didn't want to have a duplicate post). Don't see any pictures of the old Country Club bar there. Already tried the library, the newspaper and the chamber - no luck.

Thought I would try here.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:20 AM

103 posts, read 344,075 times
Default Mexico City Posts coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLWheeler View Post
I need to chat with someone who remembers the Country Club bar in La Junta (on Raton Street - it's now a Mexican restaurant). I'm researching a piece for an upcoming blog post on my Web site, and would like to talk to someone who remembers the old Country Club in the 60s, and the live bands who used to appear there.

Also, could someone from La Junta post a picture of the Mexico City Cafe on Raton Street?

Thanks in advance!
LL......I'll go get some pix of Mexico City and post them. Old pix are hard to come by. Owner and I have talked about trying to find some, but to no avail. I am on museum board and we don't have much either. I'll start passing word to all of the class reunions, maybe we can find some. In the day, it actually was the Country Club....there was a golf course on the south end of town (Raton). In fact, it is called the Country Club addition on the City Map.

I live about two blocks from there and frequent it often....great food, drinks and atmosphere...and I can walk home. In fact, my wife and I were just talking about eating there tomorrow night, but a big HS basketball tourney (Holiday Shootout) is starting with 8 boys and 8 girls team, so it will be packed.

I used to go there in the mid 60's when it was the Country Club as well. Front entrance has changed, doesn't look quite the same inside. No bands, but beer is still cold. As I recall it became El Cid after the Country Club, then was remodeled by another owner, then became Mexico City by another owner, and a new owner has it now....but it has always been a great place.

I do have a menu from the old Country Club...I'll look it up, scan it for you and email it to you. DM me for details.

....Pix coming soon...just may need to have McGowdog remind me how to do it!

Old 12-09-2009, 04:19 PM

Default Mexico City (old Country Club) and McGowdog's mom's school

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
LL.......here are a couple of pictures of Mexico City. In the front view, you can see the steps to the entrance of the old Country Club. The view from the South shows the current Mexico City entrance.

As a bonus for McGowdog...two pictures of your mom's school built in 1921 as a High School and renovated/remodled in 1996. Still a great looking school.

Front view of old Country Club...note the "palm tree" in side patio

Side View of old Country Club

Now for McGowdog's mom's alma mater.....Front view

Looking South

Old 12-09-2009, 06:05 PM

Thank you so much for the photos of Mexico City. I can't wait to see how that compares to the old Country Club! I really appreciate your help.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much for the photos of Mexico City. I can't wait to see how that compares to the old Country Club! I really appreciate your help.
You are welcome....this "forced" me to go eat there last night and they will be scanning an old picture they just found lately and sending it to you. Not to worry.....food was great, ghost chile (bhut jolokia) sauce was hot, beer was cold. Almost like the old Country Club...just no band and haven't seen a fight there yet!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:55 AM

Got the picture of the Country Club today - thank you so much!!! Can't wait to start working on this story for the blog.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:08 AM

Default More names coming

Quote:
Got the picture of the Country Club today - thank you so much!!! Can't wait to start working on this story for the blog.
Good ...they said they would take care of it..but I was supposed to get one, too. Oh well, just another reason to go there! More band names will be coming. Sounds like some Pueblo and Springs bunches came down at various times, but don't know if any of them had recorded....we'll find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado