U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:30 AM

4,641 posts, read 9,139,279 times

Advertisements

chilaili, there's a difference between public streets and private streets. when a subdivision is formed, they can chose to not dedicate the streets to the city so the HOA ends up owning and maintaining the streets. the city is perfectly right -- they have no responsibility to clear streets that don't belong to them.

When we as citizens start criticizing the lack of snowplowing on our piddly little side streets, we have to remember that city/county/ budgets get stretched really far. They need to cover police, fire, and all of those other services that you've come to expect. Which would you rather have, snow cleared after every storm or a fire department that responds when you need them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 02:39 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,185,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
When I lived in Wyoming, just about everybody living there knew what a winter survival kit was, and most people kept one in their vehicle all winter. I did. We all anticipated the potential need to have to use what was in that kit if stranded in a winter storm, and so with us it went when traveling.
I lived in WY for several years also. In Sheridan I remember some storms where they didn't even bother to plow the main drag right away. People just drove on it until it was packed, maybe it got plowed a few days later.

I drove I90 or I25 in WY in snow a few times. If you took it easy it wasn't too bad. There usually were not too many other cars and no one did anything stupid. In Colorado I try to avoid driving in the snow, especially on I70. People here drive their SUVs like they see them driven in the commercials, way too fast in the snow. They're nuts. I've got a Subaru and it's great in the snow. I worry about the other cell-phone, cruise-control snow drivers.

I came down I70 Vail Pass once in a snow storm. I was creeping down the pass in my Subaru, people were passing me like crazy. I was too scared the go that fast.

Another time on Hwy 13 through Meeker: blinding snowstorm. I was creeping along trying to see the reflective roadside markers as the road was completely covered. Big pickups with oil field boys were passing me like crazy and disappearing into the gloom.

Maybe they were all just better drivers than I am.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,474,534 times
eofelis wrote:
Maybe they were all just better drivers than I am.
Impatinet, unfocused drivers are downright dangerous, NOT better drivers. Based on your narrative, you are clearly the better driver.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:17 PM

12,104 posts, read 20,382,957 times
I will say I think there has to be a happy medium. I am just as annoyed by the very slow drivers on the road who back up traffic as I am of the speed demons who think they can go the speed limit or faster when the road is snow packed.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:59 PM

IMO, allowing oneself to become annoyed by a slow moving driver demonstrates a lack of emotional maturity.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Not when someone is going so slow that it creates a traffic risk just as someone going so fast they pass everyone like they are standing still on a snowy and Icy road. To me that is the same thing. And I see a lot of both in Colorado.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:09 PM

Becomming annoyed is ALWAYS a demosnstration of emotional immaturity, lack of self control, or an unconscious reaction that we learned long ago when we thought our parents were gods....regardless of what we attribute our annoyance to.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:11 PM

LOL perhaps I could if used a better word but my point stands. I think its just as unsafe when we have really slow drivers on the road as we do with really fast drivers.

That being said I would talk about the word "annoy" but that is way off topic so I won't except to say I dissagree with your assessment of the word.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:14 PM

Now you are talking in a language that makes sense. I'll agree that slow drivers can be a safety hazard under certain conditions. Nonetheless, if someone reacts to the slow driver with annoyance, the annoyed driver is more inclined to be the cause of an accident becasue annoyance breeds impatience, and impatience leads to agressive actions. The annoyed driver will probably blame the slow driver for their own irresponsible behaviour that caused the accident.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:20 PM

And now I agree with your assessment of the word. The problem is not being annoyed but how the person reacts to the situation. If I am annoyed by a slow driver so I take my time and look and safely pass him then I properly handled the situation. If I get mad honk my horn yell at him or her not look and pass the car going way over the speed limit possibly causing a accident then my annoyance of the situation has caused me to act in a very immature way that put my life and the lives of other drivers in risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado