U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:47 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,308,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I have a good friend who is a "high-up" in city government. He is taking tons of heat over the "lack of plowing" after last week's storms. His answer is simple--the city can either plow only what it is absolutely has to, or it can start cutting back on law enforcement, including laying off police officers. There isn't enough money to plow like crazy and maintain law enforcement levels in the current (and likely to stay this way) economy in this fellow's particular city. Unplowed streets can be unpleasant and, yes, dangerous. But, when resources are limited, things have to be prioritized, it's as simple as that. We are very likely to have to learn to live without a lot of things that we have gotten used to having government do for us.
Actually a brilliant crime fighting strategy. No quick getaways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 06:45 PM

85,052 posts, read 99,018,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Just how bad are the residential streets in the big cities without plowing? I drove on a few last winter after some smaller snows and while they were covered with snow and ice, and the car wanted to zig zag a bit, they were navigable in a small FWD rental car. Maybe all the home owners should just clear the part of the street in front of their houses.
It can be pretty bad. Most places of employment expect you to be at work, pretty much on time, except perhaps the day of/day after a big snowfall. I don't understand why municipalities can't make it a priority to at least plow in school zones.

We already have to shovel out our driveway, and we are legally required to shovel our sidewalk within 24 hours of a snowfall. I'll be dipped if I'm going to shovel my street.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:13 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,801,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It can be pretty bad. Most places of employment expect you to be at work, pretty much on time, except perhaps the day of/day after a big snowfall. I don't understand why municipalities can't make it a priority to at least plow in school zones.

We already have to shovel out our driveway, and we are legally required to shovel our sidewalk within 24 hours of a snowfall. I'll be dipped if I'm going to shovel my street.
Cities can meet demands like yours if you're willing to pay enough in taxes to make it happen. Otherwise, they'll have to cut back on services somewhere else (such as police, jails, schools, etc.).

If you're having a problem getting out of your neighborhood after it snows, you may want to buy a good set of dedicated snow tires to make your life a little easier and safer in the winter.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Cities can meet demands like yours if you're willing to pay enough in taxes to make it happen. Otherwise, they'll have to cut back on services somewhere else (such as police, jails, schools, etc.).

If you're having a problem getting out of your neighborhood after it snows, you may want to buy a good set of dedicated snow tires to make your life a little easier and safer in the winter.
I hardly think it is an unreasonable demand to expect the roads plowed around school zones, hospital zones, etc.

Sorry to disappoint you again, but the city doesn't pay for the schools, the school district does. This "fear-mongering", e.g. we'll have to lay off police officers to keep the streets safe is baloney. IT IS A MATTER OF PUBLIC SAFETY!

Thanks for the driving tips, I already do all that.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 AM

4,640 posts, read 9,145,374 times
Katiana, the streets around schools are not the school districts' responsibility to maintain. They belong to the city/county. The school should at least clear their adjacent sidewalks.

When we lived in the foothills in Conifer, the county cleared the school bus routes first. As long as you lived on a bus route (and had proper snow tires), you had no problem getting in and out.

Cities and counties are VERY strapped for money right now, and 2010 doesn't look any better. When they have furlough days for their employees, you can bet that they are not going to be increasing their snow removal budget.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Katiana, the streets around schools are not the school districts' responsibility to maintain. They belong to the city/county. The school should at least clear their adjacent sidewalks.

When we lived in the foothills in Conifer, the county cleared the school bus routes first. As long as you lived on a bus route (and had proper snow tires), you had no problem getting in and out.

Cities and counties are VERY strapped for money right now, and 2010 doesn't look any better. When they have furlough days for their employees, you can bet that they are not going to be increasing their snow removal budget.
I am aware that the streets are the city's/county's to maintain. That is my point. I am not suggesting the school district plow the streets, I am suggesting the municipality do it in the interests of public safety. Someone else brought up cutbacks in schools if this is done, and I pointed out these are two different entities.

I know the municipalities are stressed right now. But there are priorities. Why not cut back on the 4th of July fireworks, or parks and rec, instead of street plowing?

Old 12-17-2009, 02:49 PM

4,640 posts, read 9,145,374 times
Sorry, Katiana, I misunderstood your post :-)

I do agree about the 4th of July fireworks, etc., but you would cause a bigger uproar among the citizens by trying to cut out that or parks and rec. One city I work for tried to cut out the 4th of July fireworks due to their distressed budget, and the citizens initiated a recall! Apparently the argument weighing public safety against a one-time frivolous waste was a losing battle.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Sorry, Katiana, I misunderstood your post :-)

I do agree about the 4th of July fireworks, etc., but you would cause a bigger uproar among the citizens by trying to cut out that or parks and rec. One city I work for tried to cut out the 4th of July fireworks due to their distressed budget, and the citizens initiated a recall! Apparently the argument weighing public safety against a one-time frivolous waste was a losing battle.
Apology accepted! And I would miss the fireworks, esp. as July 4 is my DD's birthday. However, my city just spent a great deal of time (= money) putting up Christmas decorations all over the downtown and other business areas. Perhaps that money could be dedicated to snow removal in a tight budget.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:02 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,478,914 times
I strongly agree that plowing residential streets instead of putting up Christmas decorations, would be a more appropriate use of taxpayer money...especially when budgets are tight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado