U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:57 AM

20,345 posts, read 37,868,858 times

Advertisements

What the OP has posted is nothing more than the classic Nigerian scammer game. Ignore ANY and ALL such emails from people with that "cash the check and send me some back" ploy.

The operators of craigslist warn people constantly to only "deal locally" so they can avoid these scams.

I no longer use CL for anything. AFAIC scammers and trolls have ruined it to the point of "why bother." I don't even try to give stuff away on CL now, we just drop off stuff at the local Goodwill and Salvation Army.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 01:03 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,524,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
What the OP has posted is nothing more than the classic Nigerian scammer game.
I no longer use CL for anything. AFAIC scammers and trolls have ruined it to the point of "why bother." I don't even try to give stuff away on CL now, we just drop off stuff at the local Goodwill and Salvation Army.
That is exactly why many scambaiters do what they do (besides entertainment). Fight back by wasting their time. If people don't fight back we will all become what you see in my own profile picture. (a guy with his head buried in the sand with rump up and ready.)

Old 12-12-2009, 01:51 PM

1,404 posts, read 2,633,507 times
I listed an HDTV last week on Craigslist. First time using it. First email response seemed on the level, initially. I responded with my phone number and also said cash only and pickup only. I then got a sob story about how the person is unable to speak and can't travel. They will send me 2 checks for my trouble to ship it, etc.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:00 PM

1,817 posts, read 5,779,504 times
I just simply don't do checks. Years ago a girl paid me for something with a check on a closed account.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:07 PM

20,345 posts, read 37,868,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
That is exactly why many scambaiters do what they do (besides entertainment). Fight back by wasting their time. If people don't fight back we will all become what you see in my own profile picture. (a guy with his head buried in the sand with rump up and ready.)
I know of one woman who strung scammers out for weeks, playing with them, at one point I think she actually had them salivating and panting in their lust for easy money from suckers, it was delicious to see. About once a year I even get a letter in the mail, usually from one of them in London.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:54 PM

40 posts, read 68,311 times
Great Idea Thanks : )

Old 12-14-2009, 05:59 PM

O I do Agree, I personally had a good Experience in Craigs list . I just wanted to share this, so we can all be aware of the bad people out there.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
We led several scammers on for some time and they shelled out real money to send us counterfeit checks. Two of the checks I turned into my bank and they gave me a $25.00 reward for each one.
Money going from Nigeria to the USA (to Fed X or UPS) rather than some poor elderly retiree sending his or her life savings to a scum bucket sitting in a mansion in the UK or living high on the hog in Nigeria.
For every minute of their time you waste that is one minute less they have to steal from someone. The picture below is a scambaiters "Trophy"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Exactly.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:41 PM

151 posts, read 349,390 times
I hate to be such a grinch, but craigslist is full of disingenuous sob stories.

My favorite of all time is this:

I dabble in the saltwater aquarium hobby. I was getting rid of some stuff and put up a listing for an Oceanic BioCube (that's a miniature tank that will typicall go for about $150 used if it's in great shape).

Ten minutes later, I received an email from a recently married fellow whose mother-in-law had just passed away. She had a lifelong love of saltwater fish, but had never had the opportunity to keep any herself. They wanted the tank so that they could set up a "living shrine" to her memory, but they only had $50 for the shrine.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:31 PM

5,319 posts, read 7,619,410 times
Another sign of a Craigslist Scam email:

When the email simply states:
"Is this item available for sale?"

With no mention of the item's actual name (EX: is your toaster still for sale?)
And the sender's name is usually something like:
Mike Jones, or Joe Brown, or John Smith.
And the email is sent in the middle of the night (3am).

This is the start of a scam.

I never respond to them.

Middle of the night means foreign country, like Nigeria.

No mention of item's actual name, means a generic email, used over and over by scam artists.

Best way to deal with selling stuff on Craigslist, is state that you will sell to locals only.

And have the person call you for your address. That way, you can see if they are calling from a local area code.

And if you feel uncomfortable giving a total stranger your address, have the person meet you somewhere in public, like a nearby fast food parking lot.

Then they can follow you back to your home after you've met them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado