U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:53 PM

40 posts, read 69,526 times

Advertisements

I had a friend that was trying to sell her couch for $400 and put an add on Craig's list. She got several emails that seemed from different interested People.
The emails had different wording but same meaning in general. The email would be something like this" The person would explain he was out of town and was going to move to Denver and need the couch in an urgent manner,he will send a check overnight to pay the couch and if it was ok with her he will pick up the couch the next week. Then after some hours he send her an email saying that his secretary did a mistake and send the check for a greater amount, so he would ask her to cash the check and send the rest of the cash back to his so and so address."
Next day first thing in the morning she received a check that looked very real payed to her from a so and so company,When she checked her emails this person had sended 3 emails asking if she send the cash back to him ($600).... She decited to not work with him and send the check back. She check the next interested buyer and... very similar story , same thing with the 3rd and 4rth buyer to.... She learned that if someone cashes a check the bank will give you the money that day but if its not an original check or it doesn't have funds next day the bank will charge you that ammount to pay back to the bank... (I am not sure about this information with the banks. Any thoughts?)
Please be carefull and good luck!

Last edited by Claudia M.M; 12-11-2009 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 06:22 PM

144 posts, read 452,112 times
Cash it at the bank that issued it.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:29 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,869,550 times
Google the keyword "scambaiters", have fun looking at the scambaiters websites. I am a scambaiter.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:43 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,402,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Google the keyword "scambaiters", have fun looking at the scambaiters websites. I am a scambaiter.
Just followed your advice. Lots of interesting information out there! Thanks!

Old 12-11-2009, 07:01 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,869,550 times
We led several scammers on for some time and they shelled out real money to send us counterfeit checks. Two of the checks I turned into my bank and they gave me a $25.00 reward for each one.
Money going from Nigeria to the USA (to Fed X or UPS) rather than some poor elderly retiree sending his or her life savings to a scum bucket sitting in a mansion in the UK or living high on the hog in Nigeria.
For every minute of their time you waste that is one minute less they have to steal from someone. The picture below is a scambaiters "Trophy"

Old 12-11-2009, 07:11 PM

16,506 posts, read 20,904,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Cash it at the bank that issued it.
I always do that anymore when I take a check from someone I don't know well, have had too many problems on that subject in the past.

I generally buy local when I can, but have bought online for items I can't get in my area. Fortunately I haven't had problems, but have heard stories from people who bought from Craigslist, but heard positive things from them as well. Just have to be cautious.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:18 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,875,875 times
Craigslist = cash and carry

Old 12-11-2009, 09:00 PM

18,788 posts, read 4,920,848 times
We list our phone number, my husband wants to speak to the person. Cash only, we don't "work with" anyone. All cash paid up front. Learned through experience there are so many stories out there. "Can I pay you next week when I get my check?", no, if the item is still available and you cash your check and bring me the money then we have a deal. Don't hold your breath on most who will "get back to you".

Old 12-12-2009, 08:29 AM

11,051 posts, read 12,400,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Craigslist = cash and carry
Exactly.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:40 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,901,514 times
Old scam and it happens in places outside of Colorado too.

Deal in cash only and if you are concerned about the cash, you can pick up a pen at any major office supply store that will verify if the money is real too.

It's a risk you take but only accept cash and deal locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado